Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RPNY

Idea For British Final 2014

Would it not be good idea in 2014 if all the riders made an attempt at singing the national anthem? Woffinden was actually talking to someone when it was being played on Monday. :mad: .

If they don't know the lyrics give them a cue card, Simple. Maybe Team GB management could also utilise it in SWC.

Do you really think Middlo, who has been quoted as saying kids drinking and taking drugs is what kids do these days, would really care about pride for the National Anthem?? If only!

Do you really think Middlo, who has been quoted as saying kids drinking and taking drugs is what kids do these days, would really care about pride for the National Anthem?? If only!

Why would the two be connected? It IS what kids do these days, It's what I did in my teens and I'm now a pensioner, but I always observe the national anthem and stand up and remove my cap.
  • Like 1

No wonder promoters have a conception of speedway fans lacking intelligence. How many times do people have to be told!! The wildcard for the GP is decided by BSI. It was not the BSPA's decision and had nothing to do with them.

There is a saying that could be adapted for this: "There's none so deaf as those that don't want to hear!"

Edited by Guest

Oh how I remember the British finals on the old Coventry track on a Sunday afternoon in May!! The Louis Loram run off lives long in my mind! Once Ipswich get the new stands in maybe a Saturday night at Foxhall.

Coventry would be a good place for it. After all most the riders in it are either Coventry Assets or have rode for the bees.

Wont ever happen, Sky wont put speedway on a Saturday afternoon or saturday night. Thats unless sky pull out of the sport next year!

Oh how I remember the British finals on the old Coventry track on a Sunday afternoon in May!! The Louis Loram run off lives long in my mind! Once Ipswich get the new stands in maybe a Saturday night at Foxhall.

The new stands are already in place at Ipswich according to this. And stadium owners Spedeworth International are obviously speedway friendly - they publicise speedway on their website at http://www.spedeworth.co.uk/venue.php?name=Ipswich

The new stands are already in place at Ipswich according to this. And stadium owners Spedeworth International are obviously speedway friendly - they publicise speedway on their website at http://www.spedeworth.co.uk/venue.php?name=Ipswich

1500 seats in with I understand 6000 in the pipeline.

Spedeworth are indeed Speedway friendly at Foxhall (long may it continue) and they get a decent rent for it.

Im sure they would be happy to see Speedway crowds double as they also have control over food and drink outlets.!

A second grandstand (2000ish seats I think) will be erected on back straight after SpedeWeekend (6/7 July) and a major development of home straight due over the winter will make Foxhall an impressive stadium.

Would it not be good idea in 2014 if all the riders made an attempt at singing the national anthem? Woffinden was actually talking to someone when it was being played on Monday. :mad: .

If they don't know the lyrics give them a cue card, Simple. Maybe Team GB management could also utilise it in SWC.

Next you'll be suggesting the contestant on x-factor should have to race a speedway bike. You're mixing the two up, if you want singers, watch x-factor. Want speedway rider, watch a speedway meeting. I'm British, I'm proud of that but the National anthem is a rubbishe song. "God" save the queen, who is this "God"? Why should I be singing about a fairy tail? Do the Danes sing about the ugly duckling?

The only possible way to brighten the British Final up, would be to allow foreigners in it.

Edited by BritPete

Next you'll be suggesting the contestant on x-factor should have to race a speedway bike. You're mixing the two up, if you want singers, watch x-factor. Want speedway rider, watch a speedway meeting. I'm British, I'm proud of that but the National anthem is a rubbishe song. "God" save the queen, who is this "God"? Why should I be singing about a fairy tail? Do the Danes sing about the ugly duckling?

You obviously consider "x factor" to be a form of entertainment,.. Hmm, and the other comments just show a lack of respect for the British tradition, but I guess we are all entitled to an opinion.

We aren't a million miles away from an agreement. :wink:

If we were going to group riders for me it would be (1. Woffy, Harris, Nicholls, King) (2.Kennett, Bridger, Cook, Worrall, Barker, Auty) (3.THE FUTURE - Ellis, Garrity, Howarth etc) (4. The rest ).

Group 2 consists of some talented riders but more than one who needs to move out of the double up comfort zone and race on the continent and / or Swedish Polish leagues if they want to become world stage performers.

Also right now Tai is in a league of his own and is at a different level to Scott, Chris and Danny.

We aren't a million miles away from an agreement. :wink:

If we were going to group riders for me it would be (1. Woffy, Harris, Nicholls, King) (2.Kennett, Bridger, Cook, Worrall, Barker, Auty) (3.THE FUTURE - Ellis, Garrity, Howarth etc) (4. The rest ).

Your disguise is breached Steve. Your really Middlo aren't you!!!

Middlo's named his GB squad of 10, and your top two groups contain 10 riders. You would have had a direct match if Nicholls hadn't withdrawn. Instead he is replaced by the most experienced of your Group 3 riders