British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Kent Kings V Stoke 20/05/2013

There could be a wet welcome for Benji Compton on Monday next, May 20, according to BBC Weather. Maybe it's tears for the way David Mason has been treated by the club?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637802

Edited by Guest

You seem all so desperate for Kent to fail John.Is Kent the new Spain i wonder?And why are you so negative?Are you going to be a regular?Will you pop down once or twice or just snipe from your computer?

I will be there on monday if the weather is ok. It's just great to have a new track to visit in the south east after the loss of so many venues over the years.

• Like 1

You seem all so desperate for Kent to fail John.Is Kent the new Spain i wonder?And why are you so negative?Are you going to be a regular?Will you pop down once or twice or just snipe from your computer?

I have not been to Spain since January 2012 when I was there on sad family business.

Are my comments negative? I seem to have attracted so far 12 'like' messages in regard to Kent Kings.

Yes Doug, I plan to go to the next Bank Holiday meeting.

I have not been to Spain since January 2012 when I was there on sad family business.

Are my comments negative? I seem to have attracted so far 12 'like' messages in regard to Kent Kings.

Yes Doug, I plan to go to the next Bank Holiday meeting.

Yes,but you were one of those that stated newcomers wouldn't understand the dropping of David Mason,so you would attract some likes for that sort of post.

I put to you two situations.A rider gets dropped from a team that has just lost two home meetings.Or a rider gets injured whilst guesting for an opposing team.Now which would more likely be bewildering to newcomers?

Like i said before newcomers are going to be just getting into the rules and more getting into the racing.If they are going to be put off by someone getting dropped after a couple of losses,then speedway will probably be far too frustrating for them anyway.

Look forward to some positive posts from you in the future then.Speedway in the south east certainly needs a success story.Hope the Kent Kings is that story myself

Yes,but you were one of those that stated newcomers wouldn't understand the dropping of David Mason,so you would attract some likes for that sort of post.

I put to you two situations.A rider gets dropped from a team that has just lost two home meetings.Or a rider gets injured whilst guesting for an opposing team.Now which would more likely be bewildering to newcomers?

Like i said before newcomers are going to be just getting into the rules and more getting into the racing.If they are going to be put off by someone getting dropped after a couple of losses,then speedway will probably be far too frustrating for them anyway.

Look forward to some positive posts from you in the future then.Speedway in the south east certainly needs a success story.Hope the Kent Kings is that story myself

All taken on board Doug. I see the points you are making. For me I liked the simpler world of speedway - the days from 1946 to about 1956 when teams were stable season-on-season and no 'fancy frills' to achieve equalisation. Those days will never return. What goes on now does tend to baffle me. That's the trouble with getting old I guess?

I do however think the loss of David Mason after two matches will disenchant some supporters - he would have had a following after all. I'll draw a personal parallel.

The first speedway meeting I ever saw was on April 17 1946 when New Cross beat The Rest in a challenge match. The NX rider who caught my eye most and was an instant favourite was Geoff Pymar - 9 points from his first three rides then a fall in last outing robbed him of a maxmum.

I wanted to see him again and the following week scored 10 points as NX beat West Ham in a National League match. Pymar was my drawcard to watch more matches. Had I suddenly heard that New Cross had 'sacked' him after two matches I would probably not have gone to speedway aagin. They didn't and I was hooked on the sport.

I think that some newcomers this season to Kent Kings will have had David Mason as their hero and want to see more of him. That they now will not could affect their continuing loyalty to both the sport and Kent Kings - that's my view anyway.

At my age and the distance I live from Sittingbourne apart from the next Bank Holiday Monday afternoon meeting I doubt that I will ever again visit Central Park. I do hope they succeed but I have no intention of developing into a diehard supporter of them. But then I have not supported one club especially since about 1948 - and then I was a follower of Odsal Tudors and used to watch them on their visits to London tracks.

Edited by Guest

Hope the showers miss Central Park this week. :D Unlike last Monday. :sad:

Hope the showers miss Central Park this week. :D Unlike last Monday. :sad:

The BBC weather shows light showers during the day for the Sittingbourne area but none after 5pm. I would assume there's reasonable grounds for optimism that the match will take place?

I will keep everyone up to date re the weather throughout the day until I leave for the track around 4pm.

Also we will update our official website if anything changes.

The BBC weather shows light showers during the day for the Sittingbourne area but none after 5pm. I would assume there's reasonable grounds for optimism that the match will take place?

meeting off according to BSPA and kings websites.

Yes, I'm afraid it's OFF

I am surprised. BBC Weather does not indicate any rain after 5pm and prior to that just light rain.

It's a pity this has happened at such an early stage of the introduction of speedway at Central Park coupled with the David Mason affair?

Very good luck for your future efforts and a repeat of the last Bank Holiday's good weather for the coming Bank Holiday and another bumper attendance.

Edited by Guest

Off the Stoke website. I wonder when they were notified?

KENT V POTTERS, POSTPONED

Monday 20 May, 2013

postponed.jpg MONDAY'S scheduled National Trophy match between Kent and Stoke has been postponed because of a waterlogged track. A new date will be announced in due course.

Edited by Guest

The kings were very unlucky with the weather today. There has been little or no rain in the rest of the south east and the forecast for heavy showers this evening appear to be wide of the mark.

Edited by cityrebel