British Speedway Forum

Britain is going to get a wildcard at the GP challenge at Poole this season, if that rider fails to qualify but finishes 4th or 5th they may be able to justify a place. Bomber like Poole, so you never know :o

Scott Nicholls was 2nd in the British Final. Should that be the criteria for a wild card at Poole ?

• Like 1

Top of the Elite League averages, German ace Martin Smolinski would be a good addition to the SGP in 2014.

A German rider in the series would certainly stimulate interest in Germany, and a German SGP at a place like Landshut looks a distinct possibility for the future.

The Schalke Arena in Gelsenkirchen was a huge mistake, much too big and in the wrong part of the country), but a German SGP at one of the regular tracks would surely draw a 10,000 crowd, especially so when Smoli is riding as a regular, and not just as a one-off local wild card .

Top of the Elite League averages, German ace Martin Smolinski

Top of which Elite League? There are 5 other riders at Birmingham with a higher average for starters!

Niamh

Top of which Elite League? There are 5 other riders at Birmingham with a higher average for starters!

Niamh

Based on this years averages, Smolinski is top. You're going on the rolling averages which confuse matters slightly. For example Harris is No.1 in the Birmingham rolling averages at the moment, but below Covatti in the meetings this year.

It will be interesting to see if Smolinski can keep this up all season, but if he can qualify by right, who are we to disagree with his inclusion?

I'd stop short of giving him a series wild card donation though, there are other riders who have had years of consistently good league scores, but have never received a Wild Card. Grig Laguta for one...

In fact, given their impressive World Cup performances, and the very real chance of a Russian World Champion this season, surely Russia have a strong case to expect a permanent Wild Card in 2014? Especially with a rider as world class as Laguta.

JT.

Edited by JT
  • Like 1

I dont really look at riders form in league speedway but more in the qualifiers and the SWC and i think that is what BSI do to. If a Brit makes the gp challange and does well in the SWC it gives the organisers more of an excuse to get a Brit in. Unfortunetly i dont think there is one yet but i think Cook could surprise a few at Kings Lynn in July.

JUST a bit of fun ... but are there any outstanding candidates currently not in the series?

Yes Greg Laguta and his brother isn't doing that bad either.

what....no Bjerre :shock:

what....no Bjerre :shock:

You've got to feel a bit sorry for Bjerre, he's really a victim of his nationality. His record in the Grand Prix is pretty impressive and much better than Harris, for example. If he was British, BSI wouldn't have hesitated in giving him a full time position this year.

Unfortunately for him, Denmark have so much strength in depth, he's unlikely to ever get a charity pick. Qualify on his own or nothing, I'm afraid.

JT.

Unless the mehod of picking wildcards is about to change then we know exactly what to expect:

1) nationality quota

2) box office draw

3) top 8 standard who has been injured

4) Brits are always included (and most likely would also be the case for swedes, danes and poles if they were in our state)

anyone who ends up with 4 qualified riders can whistle for getting any more... then there are those nationalities where 4 is deemed to be too many anyway so they should be considering 2 or 3 being their maximum............. anyone like Ward who misses out because of injury is rock solid ...unless too many from their country qualify ie Holder, Batch/Watt etc

i'd suggest the change of cardiff wildcard criteria indicates Bomber has a strong chance of a wildcard for next season

Looking at the standings right now then I believe BSI would be looking at ..........Ward, Bomber.... Iversen is the 2nd Dane which would be their minimum quota......... followed by Lindgren & Jonsson........... they would want a 3rd Pole & I guess Kasprzak would be considered but they have never shown much of a need to keep him around before ..............One thing BSI have always struggled with is leaving someone out of the picks who finished below 8th and then picking someone below them so it would be difficult for BSI to pick MJJ instead of Iversen & then pick Iversen and/or Jonsson

as someone else has said the high chance of greg/tomasz (& maybe nickip) retirement could make things very easy for BSI...... and the GP qualifier result usually ends up easing the issues

Top of the Elite League averages, German ace Martin Smolinski would be a good addition to the SGP in 2014.

A German rider in the series would certainly stimulate interest in Germany, and a German SGP at a place like Landshut looks a distinct possibility for the future.

The Schalke Arena in Gelsenkirchen was a huge mistake, much too big and in the wrong part of the country), but a German SGP at one of the regular tracks would surely draw a 10,000 crowd, especially so when Smoli is riding as a regular, and not just as a one-off local wild card .

Cannot see why the Gelsenkirchen GP was a mistake. Was there not 20,000 + people there.Admittedly it was not the best indoor track in the world but many have improved since then. The best part of it for me was that the first four heats were recorded and the bookmakers did not know., and I don't think anybody else did. I think the first heat winner was Christian Hefenbrock at 16/1

Edited by mickthemuppet

You would have to include Hans Andersen, you can't have a GP series without any fit riders in it.

My 4 for next year providing Woffy's injury doesn't force him out of the Top 8

1. Darcy Ward - (Would have been in the Top 8 if it wasn't for injuries)

2. Patryk Dudek - (Bright prospect for the Poles and would replace Gollob retiring? and Kasprazak)

3. Thomas H Jonasson (You need a Swede and he is good looking, You can market him)

4. Michael Jepsen Jensen - (Unlucky to miss out this year and not fair on him that GP challenge final is at Wimborne road, Should get a pick)

Grigory Laguta wouldn't get a visa in my opinion so it's a no go for me and he's not a popular rider, The 4 I mentioned are good looking, are popular and have good sales revenue potential about themselves as Jonasson for the Swedish market, MJJ for the Danish market and Ward for the Australian market and Dudek for the Polish market.

My 4 for next year providing Woffy's injury doesn't force him out of the Top 8

1. Darcy Ward - (Would have been in the Top 8 if it wasn't for injuries)

2. Patryk Dudek - (Bright prospect for the Poles and would replace Gollob retiring? and Kasprazak)

3. Thomas H Jonasson (You need a Swede and he is good looking, You can market him)

4. Michael Jepsen Jensen - (Unlucky to miss out this year and not fair on him that GP challenge final is at Wimborne road, Should get a pick)

Grigory Laguta wouldn't get a visa in my opinion so it's a no go for me and he's not a popular rider, The 4 I mentioned are good looking, are popular and have good sales revenue potential about themselves as Jonasson for the Swedish market, MJJ for the Danish market and Ward for the Australian market and Dudek for the Polish market.

All this talk about 'good looking' - do you fancy them like? :shock::unsure: :unsure: :blink: :blink:

Until we kow which 3 riders qualify from the Challenge, it's hard to call but from the 2013 line up, the three I think would most likely miss out are Antonio Lindback, Andreas Jonsson and possibly Martin Vaculik. Oviously if one of the other 12 qualifies through the qualifiers, then there will be more places and Vaculik should get another year.

Jepsen Jensen will be the most likely newcomer next season with anyone that stars in the U21's and WTC next in line, possibly Zmarzlik and Dudk.

One thing I would like to see changed is the riders given the #19 - 23 race jackets are nominated and given toriders that can come in if required and do a job ..... unlike Dribble wtc

2014 will possibly be the final year for Gollob and Hancock

Edited by T.N.T.