British Speedway Forum
Main Man

Jan O Pedersen Speedway Academy

The "Advanced Apprenticeship in Sporting Excellence" seems a bit of an unfortunate acronym.

Reminds me of DelBoy's "Trotters Independent Traders" and Rodney's "Diploma In Computing"

Got as leaflet on the weekend. Basically, this is an NVQ in speedway/sport. It's being aimed at 16-18 year old. At this point I'll point out my most recent job was working for a training provider that provided NVQs so I have some idea how they work. It's aimed at 16-18 year olds as thats where the money is, then there a little less money in training 19-25 year olds and les training 26+. So Jan has gone for the bigger money clients, the 16-18 year old. The issue with that is his literature advertising they'll earn a function skill qual in comms, numbers and ICT. Frankly, any 16-18 year old should have a GCSE in English, Maths and some of them in IT these days so they almost certainly won't need to bother with that.

The whole thing strikes me as a load of nonsense that will not help any speedway rider. Also, it's government funded as it's NVQs and functional Skills, I'm not sure they'd be too pleased that the public were being asked to sponsor it too! A waste of time and I think Jan would have been better off avoiding the whole NVQ thing personally.

Thanks for your usual words of wisdom Shawn . :mad: Perhaps you would like to devise a system for the sport and spend as much time as Jan O has working on along with David Lucas and the MSA along with Loughborough University. The NVQ is only part of the overall scheme.

There is only funding for five riders as it stands and the membership is to provide funds to open it up to more riders.

I find it offensive that you call it a waste of time and I am sure Jan O would love the opportunity of discussing it with you personally so you understand exactly what his aims are.

Edited by Main Man
  • Like 1

from the website :

Jan O outlines the Speedway package

Jan O Pedersen has given more details of what the practical speedway tuition will be during the two years of the Academy course.

'All young riders will receive one to one sessions over the period so that I can assess what makes them tick and deal with any issues. Plus I will attend race meetings that they are participating in so I can monitor progress and advise further.

This will not only be about actually riding on track but the important part that the workshop plays too. Understanding what an engine can and can't do for instance. Mechanical preparation is a vital part of racing success. So time will be spent on that.

Also, as someone who has achieved the ultimate prize in the sport - casting out doubts and developing a winning mentality in our graduates.'

Jan O has already been in talks with Leicester Speedway and Kings Lynn Speedway about organising sessions there

Jan O Pedersen’s newly launched British Speedway Academy , aimed at producing future home bred World Stars, is already planning ahead with the next stage of development. Having come through the highly successful Scandinavian scheme himself to reach the highest level as 1991 World Champion , Jan O wants to mirror what he knows works and add his own brand and flavour to the schemes.

The initial Academy scheme is aimed at the 16-19 age group with the NVQ Level 3 qualification built in along with the help and support Jan O will provide with all aspects of the sport brought into their learning curve.

But Jan O realises that there is potential for helping a wider audience of riders from a young age and those with lack of experience but outside the age parameters of the Academy. Therefore he is designing another set up that will not only provide entrants to the Academy in the years to come as well as catering for those who are outside the age levels for this.

The scheme will all tie in with the membership club that has been devised with two levels of entry at £25 (Foundation) and £100 (Executive) with the more support this derives the more riders Jan O can help and support.

Jan O says, “ I have thought long and hard about this and discussed it with Laurence Rogers , who is assisting me and running the membership club along with Lisa Heath who is my old fan club secretary . We believe there are riders out there from a young age to those a little older who can benefit from the scheme and want to open the opportunity up to them. “

“We are looking at running some training schools open to riders of all ages so I can assess them and give help and guidance where needed. We will also incorporate many of the aspects on the main Academy course and do workshop guidance along with diet and health as well as offering one to one help.”

“ I really want to see this succeed and will do all I can to ensure it does. Riders interested in this can e-mail : jano@speedwayacademy.co.uk or laurencerogers@blueyonder.co.uk and we will get back to you with our plans and schedule along with details of how to join the scheme.”

The first two riders selected for the Academy will be announced soon ...so watch out for details

The first named rider for the Jan O Pedersen British Speedway Academy is 16 year old Coventry Storm rider James Shanes.

The Puddletown, Dorset based racer ,who has made the transition from grass track to speedway and has had rave reviews wherever he has ridden, is overjoyed at being selected by the 1991 World Champion, “ I was amazed when Jan O approached me about it and discussed everything with my parents. I am totally new to speedway but have enjoyed every minute of riding for Coventry firstly in the Midland Development League and then after my exams were over in the National League for The Storm.”

“At Coventry 7 times British Champion Scott Nicholls has taken me under his wing to mentor and help me after Laurence Rogers arranged this. Now I have the chance to work with a World Champion. This is a dream come true. “

Jan O is pleased with is first capture for the Academy and hope to have all five places filled very soon in readiness for the August start to the scheme , “ I have been keeping tabs on James after Laurence (Rogers) alerted me to him. I watched him at Stoke firstly in a Development League match where he scored a maximum then on his National League debut when he scored paid 10. I have spoken with the family and like his attitude and believe I can really help him. Now we have to confirm the remaining places and should be able to announce the second rider this week whilst we work on the remaining three places.”

“At the same time we are getting enquiries in for the secondary scheme we are running for those not eligible for the Academy and will be working on this as well. We had hoped to kick things off with a training session last week but had to postpone this and hope to make an announcement on this after discussions with a few tracks we are talking to.”

“The level of support and help for this though will be determined by fans and businesses joining the Membership schemes. We had a slight glitch on the website with this that may have put some people off but it is all up and running and we need as many to join as possible ….so get on www.speedwayacademy.co.uk and pledge your support for British Speedway.

And I can remember 1949 when Harold McNaughton, then 37 years old, made his speedway debut at Hastings, then rode for New Cross, Southampton and Ipswich with distinction, then rode for England at Division Two level.

Another later starter, at 38 years, was Tom Oakley - he rode among his clubs for Southampton, New Cross and Bristol.

They both battled into the top flight with determination and ability, not needing all the pseudo-youth schemes that operate these days. McNaughton and Oakley were determined to be speedway riders and battled to the top with courage and determination. Coincidentally, both retired at the end of the 1953 season.

Now riders of that age have virtually no chance of getting into speedway. Times have changed a lot. I often think the sport was the better for the way it brought riders into speedway all those years ago.

Edited by Guest

Dudley’s Max Clegg announced as second rider in British Speedway Academy

Following on from the announcement of Coventry Storm’s 16 year old James Shanes as the first rider for the Jan O Pedersen British Speedway Academy the second rider to be named is Dudley’s Max Clegg.

The 16 year old ,who rode for Scunthorpe last year before joining the Dudley Heathens this season, has been showing good form for his side as they vie for a place in the National League play-offs.

He ended his debut season with a 4.54 average which so far he has upped to an amazing 7.33 with some excellent displays in Heathens colours.

The Brighouse born racer first raced at the age of 7 in the Yorkshire Gras track club but had his first bike, a 50cc Husky , when aged just 3! His best racing moment was winning the 2005 British Grass Track Championship and was runner-up in the 2011 British Junior under 16 500cc Championship.

Max is really looking forward to working with the 1991 World Champion, “ I know that Jan O has been a great help to many riders and I know that I can learn a lot from him both about my riding and all the aspects behind the scenes. I want to be successful and realize that help and support from Jan O will help get me there. “

“ I have had a good start to the season but still have a lot to learn and having Jan watching me and giving advice will only be of great benefit . I can’t wait to get it all started.”

Jan O believes he has another gem for the Academy , “ like James Shanes I think we have another superb prospect. I have watched him since he signed for Dudley and been highly impressed by him and his riding. He is quite shy really but hopefully we can help him in this aspect as well as the riding, preparation , training , diet, psychology etc of the sport. “

“ The two 16 year olds named so far certainly have caught the eye so far this season and that is a big plus as we have something solid to work with. We are talking with several riders at the moment who are interested in the three remaining places on the Academy and hopefully we can be in a position to announce rider number three very soon!”

“But I must again stress the point that the success of the Academy and the supporting scheme is very much dependant on funding and we really need as many fans and sponsors to pledge their support by becoming either Foundation members at £25 or Executive members at £100 –and you can join on-line on the website : www.speedwayacademy.co.uk

announcements this week on the three remaining places in the main Academy and a substantial sponsorship for the scheme

The Jan O Pedersen British Speedway Academy are pleased to announce that the final three places on the scheme have now been offered and accepted by the riders concerned.

There was a lot of interest in the chance to be involved and after careful consideration and discussion Jan O has finalised the five who will take part in the inaugural scheme but leaves open the chance for others to join the associate scheme he will be running which has no age restrictions as the main one does.

Joining the already announced duo of Coventry Storm’s James Shanes and Dudley Heathens Max Clegg will be Buxton and Berwick’s Liam Carr, Rye House asset Danny Verge and Coventry Storm’s Oliver Greenwood.

Jan O commented, “ We had a lot of interest in the Academy and have talked with many riders and their families as well as assessing the candidates in various ways. In the end we have gone for the five we have chosen as young riders in the 16-19 age group who fit the elements we were looking for and have potential to progress with the type of help and support we can offer them.”

“We will also be involving riders of any age in the associate scheme and they will receive most of the elements that the five Academy riders are going to get but will not have the academic part with the NVQ qualification. But the number of riders we can support for this is highly dependant on the membership schemes we are running and any sponsorship we can attract. Laurence Rogers is working on this and has had talks with a few potential; backers and has one substantial sponsor lined up. He can be reached through the website : www.speedwayacademy.co.uk , where people can join the membership scheme directly or he van be e-mailed at :laurencerogers@blueyonder.co.uk if any sponsors want more details.”

“ I am really pleased with the final five we have chosen for the Academy and have seen all of them ride at some stage recently . I have talked through everything with them and their parents and I am really looking forward to getting this all started now. We are awaiting a venue and a date for an on track get together , which will be open to all comers although to cover costs we may have to make a charge for this unless a big sponsor wants to step in to cover this!”

“ I am working on a workshop base where we will conduct that side of the scheme and should have this all in place very soon. We are working on all the elements and will be all ready for the real launch soon . In between I will be working with all five riders on a one to one basis as well. I will look at their fixtures to see where I can maximise my time with them so I can start to analyse individual needs and start planning with them exactly what is required.”

“ It is exciting times and we just hope that the fans and sponsors will support us by becoming members then we can extend the scheme even further and start to get British Speedway back on the way to the top again. “