British Speedway Forum
TheReturn

Lack Of Speedway Promotion?

Plenty of advertising in South Wales area for the Grand Prix none on the BBC News or Sport, when you see Mike Bushell from the BBC reporting on Bog Snorkling and Cheese Rolling Championships just goes to show how far down the pecking order Speedways is. The biggest event in the Speedway Calender and not a mention. Someone somewhere has got it all wrong.

That does sounds good promotion, but I assume it was limited to South Wales? Not sure the same promotion went on elsewhere outside of South Wales? An example of where I feel there is a lack of local efforts, where I am, I within a hours drive of two speedway tracks, Arena Essex and Eastbourne, and yet I have never seen any local promotion of either track.

TBF, why would they promote the British GP in Cardiff over in Essex/Sussex? they don't advertise events at Wembly in Cardiff so why dot he oppisite? you have to be realistic, you're either getting speedway fans (so advertise in the Star and club programmes) or you're dragging in the locals. People are not going to travel 2-3 hours for some sport they know nothing about off the back of a poster in a bus stop in Essex or an advert during Coronation Street are they? Yet someone living in Cardiff might give it a go.

You say you have seen no advertising for the GP over that way but, without looking, could you tell me any of the next 10 events to take place in the Millennium Stadium?

TBF, why would they promote the British GP in Cardiff over in Essex/Sussex? they don't advertise events at Wembly in Cardiff so why dot he oppisite? you have to be realistic, you're either getting speedway fans (so advertise in the Star and club programmes) or you're dragging in the locals. People are not going to travel 2-3 hours for some sport they know nothing about off the back of a poster in a bus stop in Essex or an advert during Coronation Street are they? Yet someone living in Cardiff might give it a go.

You say you have seen no advertising for the GP over that way but, without looking, could you tell me any of the next 10 events to take place in the Millennium Stadium?

My point about Essex/Sussex was about local speedway, not GP. However, using your analogy, Bristol and Bath are close enough to commute to Cardiff, and I was there a couple of weeks ago for a few days and I never saw anything promoting the GP.

My point about Essex/Sussex was about local speedway, not GP. However, using your analogy, Bristol and Bath are close enough to commute to Cardiff, and I was there a couple of weeks ago for a few days and I never saw anything promoting the GP.

Reading it back, you did say. TBF, I'd agree, most clubs seem to fail badly at promotion, even down to simple things like having facebook and twitter feeds - all the kids are on facebook/twitter/instagram these days, make the most of them! instagram could be great for speedway, speedway action shots are actually really good and come across better than a lot of other sports do in a photo.