British Speedway Forum

THIS is part of a feature in speedwayXtra this week (speedwaystar.net)...

THE British Grand Prix at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium is the absolute jewel in the sport’s crown but the event just doesn’t happen like magic.

Preparation for the big night goes on throughout the year as Paul Bellamy and his team at BSI/IMG meticulously ensure that nothing is left to chance.

Although Saturday’s event will be the 13th (hopefully not unlucky) staging of the British GP under the Millennium roof, mounting such a huge operation doesn’t get any easier.

It all begins on the Sunday prior to the meeting when the material used to build the track, stored locally under environmentally controlled conditions, is transported into the stadium by a convey of trucks.

The safety fence along with the air barriers will have arrived earlier in the SGP articulated truck that travels from one Grand Prix to another.

It is now a well-oiled operation, under the guidance of Ole Olsen and his Speed Sport team, and amazingly by Tuesday morning the track is laid although it will continue to be rolled and tyre-packed throughout the week in readiness for Friday afternoon’s practice.

Ole’s younger son Torben, Events Director at BSI, also arrives over the weekend to start a whole series of meetings with stadium officials to examine and re-examine every minute detail of the week’s schedule.

By Wednesday morning more members of the BSI team are in situ, going ahead with a general run through of everything that will take place over the next few days.

On Thursday Event Manager Gemma Fordham will co-ordinate meetings regarding Health & Safety, Security, Hospitality and general ticket arrangements.

Gemma is also the key figure when it comes to handing out passes and tickets for officials, riders, guests and media. Her feet will hardly touch the ground over the next four days organising all the activities of her colleagues.

More of the BSI team will now be at the stadium, co-ordinating with TV (for the first time this will be under the Eurosport rather than Sky banner), stadium lighting and sound, the big screen operators and checking all the hospitality facilities.

SGP Race Director Tony Olsson will also be on hand on Thursday along with referee Krister Kardell, ensuring that the track, pits and paddock are as required.

On Friday the whole operation swings into top gear. There will be meetings with the announcer and the camera crews, a rehearsal of the opening ceremony, a run through of what will take place at the CIP Methanol Club and much, much more.

At 15.30 the first riders’ briefing will take place under the direction of Olsson but Paul Bellamy will be there as well to inform about the opening ceremony, which will be unique to this particular GP.

At 17.00 practice will commence and should run for two hours. Once that is over the Speed Sport team will be back on the track, cleaning the air-fence and getting the racing surface back to pristine condition for Saturday evening. Much of this work will carry on throughout the night.

On Saturday a whole series of rehearsals and sound checks take place and at 13.00 Torben Olsen will chair the Production Meeting which details, minute-by-minute, and even second-by-second, the schedule for the rest of the day, who does what, when and where.

It is a comprehensive document, running to several pages, but it is a veritable bible for everybody concerned in ensuring that the big day goes without a hitch.

THIS is part of a feature in speedwayXtra this week (speedwaystar.net)...

THE British Grand Prix at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium is the absolute jewel in the sport’s crown but the event just doesn’t happen like magic.

Preparation for the big night goes on throughout the year as Paul Bellamy and his team at BSI/IMG meticulously ensure that nothing is left to chance.

Although Saturday’s event will be the 13th (hopefully not unlucky) staging of the British GP under the Millennium roof, mounting such a huge operation doesn’t get any easier.

It all begins on the Sunday prior to the meeting when the material used to build the track, stored locally under environmentally controlled conditions, is transported into the stadium by a convey of trucks.

The safety fence along with the air barriers will have arrived earlier in the SGP articulated truck that travels from one Grand Prix to another.

It is now a well-oiled operation, under the guidance of Ole Olsen and his Speed Sport team, and amazingly by Tuesday morning the track is laid although it will continue to be rolled and tyre-packed throughout the week in readiness for Friday afternoon’s practice.

Ole’s younger son Torben, Events Director at BSI, also arrives over the weekend to start a whole series of meetings with stadium officials to examine and re-examine every minute detail of the week’s schedule.

By Wednesday morning more members of the BSI team are in situ, going ahead with a general run through of everything that will take place over the next few days.

On Thursday Event Manager Gemma Fordham will co-ordinate meetings regarding Health & Safety, Security, Hospitality and general ticket arrangements.

Gemma is also the key figure when it comes to handing out passes and tickets for officials, riders, guests and media. Her feet will hardly touch the ground over the next four days organising all the activities of her colleagues.

More of the BSI team will now be at the stadium, co-ordinating with TV (for the first time this will be under the Eurosport rather than Sky banner), stadium lighting and sound, the big screen operators and checking all the hospitality facilities.

SGP Race Director Tony Olsson will also be on hand on Thursday along with referee Krister Kardell, ensuring that the track, pits and paddock are as required.

On Friday the whole operation swings into top gear. There will be meetings with the announcer and the camera crews, a rehearsal of the opening ceremony, a run through of what will take place at the CIP Methanol Club and much, much more.

At 15.30 the first riders’ briefing will take place under the direction of Olsson but Paul Bellamy will be there as well to inform about the opening ceremony, which will be unique to this particular GP.

At 17.00 practice will commence and should run for two hours. Once that is over the Speed Sport team will be back on the track, cleaning the air-fence and getting the racing surface back to pristine condition for Saturday evening. Much of this work will carry on throughout the night.

On Saturday a whole series of rehearsals and sound checks take place and at 13.00 Torben Olsen will chair the Production Meeting which details, minute-by-minute, and even second-by-second, the schedule for the rest of the day, who does what, when and where.

It is a comprehensive document, running to several pages, but it is a veritable bible for everybody concerned in ensuring that the big day goes without a hitch.

Hi Phil, you very kindly helped me out a couple of years ago with a ticket problem, i have a friend who cannot now afford to go to cardiff but i have paid for his ticket! Do you know the best way of trying to sell it.

Trying to book tickets online at last minute and it says on the GP website to Pay on the door?

surely they'll all sell out if you ''pay on the door'' though, so no guarantee of it? Can someone shed a light on this please.

Trying to book tickets online at last minute and it says on the GP website to Pay on the door?

surely they'll all sell out if you ''pay on the door'' though, so no guarantee of it? Can someone shed a light on this please.

Stadium`s never been anywhere like full-and certainly won`t be full this year

Stadium`s never been anywhere like full-and certainly won`t be full this year

Ah okay.. where abouts would I go to get the tickets when we're there? Just pay at the turnstiles or?

Mr Rising as I am not involved this year as Eurosport are the host broadcaster do you know who they or Steve have gone for with regards to OB facilities I told the guys to stick with Telegenic as with Elite league and last year as they know the drill and sport. Hopefully if they have gone elsewhere everything runs smooth

Any ideas where I could sell a spare ticket?

A tout outside the stadium. Or we could cut out the middle man and I'll give you the £10 I'm going to give a tout at 4.30 on Saturday.

Adam, theres a ticket office 2 minutes from the Prince of Wales (just look at the stadium from the POW, walk up that road and look to your right you can't miss it)

A tout outside the stadium. Or we could cut out the middle man and I'll give you the £10 I'm going to give a tout at 4.30 on Saturday.

Adam, theres a ticket office 2 minutes from the Prince of Wales (just look at the stadium from the POW, walk up that road and look to your right you can't miss it)

45 quid ticket for a tenner I wd rather chuck it in the bin

Okay man, so I just go buy from there?

You can't blame him for trying :D

Who the hell buys a £45 ticket? They have them for sale for about £30 :oops:

And why would I give you anything like £45 when I can buy a ticket of a tout for £15?

And why would I give you anything like £45 when I can buy a ticket of a tout for £15?

Not asking you to, try and sell it to someone who isnt a tightarse

Dont worry sold it now for face value 45 quid, they do have for 30 if you want a crap seat.

• Like 1