British Speedway Forum

Find it a little embarrassing that we can't fill Cardiff

If the attendance was 46,000 (quite possible). The Stadium would be be nowhere near full, yet it would be the biggest crowd for a speedway meeting anywhere in the world for 32 years (1981 .Wembley?). That would not be embarrasing
  • Like 1

Thanks I have sold it now at face value to a friend of a friend.

Excellent news, good for you.

Looking forward to this, Tai in great form and the likely favourite but anything can happen at Cardiff that's for sure.

PUTS the Cardiff attendance into perspective

Yes, the Cardiff attendance gets boosted massively by the 'Once-A-Year' attendees.

A lot of people who have stopped going to Speedway regularly still make this one annual event.

Many parties going will have one or two Wives/Sisters etc who would generally not be seen dead at their local track but will be easily persuaded to have the weekend in the Welsh Capital;.And a high prportion those will really enjoy the Speedway too .... but they still won't be dragged along to suffer a league match.

Speedway Travel Advice

The BSI Speedway will take place at the Millennium Stadium tomorrow, Saturday 1st June.

With the spring weather set to continue into the weekend, it promises to be a great day.

A crowd of 40,000 is expected to attend the event which starts at 5pm. If you are attending the event, the best way to travel is by public transport and coach wherever possible.

Those bringing their cars into the city can ease worries over congestion and parking costs by using the Council's park and ride services.

There are two park and ride sites available, one at the International Sports Village (Blue car park, post code CF11 0JS) and at County Hall (Green car park , post code CF10 4UW). Both sites can be accessed from J33 of the M4. Signs should be followed from M4 as they will direct drivers to available park and ride sites at time of arrival.

The drop off points and collection points are:

• International Sports Village -
  • Tresillian Way north,
  • at rear of Railway Station
  • County Hall -
  • Callaghan Square north.

The car park will open at 9:30am, with the first bus at 9:30am. The last bus will leave the pick-up point at 10:30pm, with the car park closing at 11pm.

Coach parking will also be provided off Sophia Close, where there is dedicated coach parking with driver facilities. The cost is £10.00 per coach. Any event car parking in Sophia Close will also be £10 as the car park is within a five minute walk of the stadium.

There will also be a small road closure in place at Westgate Street, Park Street and Scott Rd. They will be closed from 1500hrs until 2130hrs.

Station Approach and Central Sq will also be closed except to buses using the bus station.

Cardiff Council.

• Like 1

HOW many fans attend speedway in the UK on a regular basis? 30,000? 40,000? More ... or less?

Probably less than 30000, but then some only go to league meetings a few times a year, so perhaps there's double that amount that actually watch league speedway in a season? I've found most fans I've spoken to at Cardiff don't regularly attend league speedway anyway. Some fans cant stand individual speedway and vice-versa. I prefer to watch a Swindon league meeting, but enjoy the Cardiff day out, and the facilities and atmosphere are a different world compared to Blunsdon!

Edited by bertie boy

But how many regulars at speedway don't bother with Cardiff as too much of a hassle/too much money? I've been about 4 times over the years but after you have added up everything it costs a fair bit. Not just the tickets but hotels and also fuel costs. Ipswich supporters club coach is £43 for the day trip, so best part of £100 for just a day. Prefer to goto Poland, its quicker and normally cheaper! ;) Of the 8 of us that stand together at Foxhall, none of us are going this year and been the same for a few years.

I have been listening to the BBC Radio 2 Chris Evans 'Breakfast Show' during which there was a resume of sporting events ahead this weekend, as well as comments on latest happenings in the 'world of sport'.

Among those mentioned I caught football, cricket, rugby union, women' football, truck racing, golf and 'super moto-cross'. Since then I have been thinking - 'I am sure there's another major event taking place?'

Can anyone help me please?

Tai was interviewed,albeit briefly on Radio Two onThursday

Practice delayed till 6 due to additional track prep needed.... Anyone know anymore? As I don't see anyone on track right now?!

Ok hotels are expensive and parking is pants BUT its the same as most major events in this country. The ticket prices are fantastic value IMO. Done my back in this week but will attend in a borrowed wheelchair it will be like andy and lou. YEAH I KNOW !

Scandal threatens Cardiff speedwaygp party

According to Swedish television (http://gpbloggen.wordpress.com/) the speedwaygrandprix at Cardiff can be a scandal.

Read it here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=sv&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgpbloggen.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F05%2F31%2Fmilennium-stadium-just-nu%2F

I HOPE FOR GODS SAKE THEY GOT THE TRACK RIGHT!