British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Oldest Surviving World Finalists

Hi Andout-if you win the prize I will offer you a free trip to Welland,  Paris or Dundas!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andout said:

Would not be too sure of that Bob....of the 16 I have seen all but the number 1, Arthur Payne.

Seen all but Arthur Payne, Josef Hofmeister and Brian Crutcher.

Edited by norbold

. Norbold were you talking just about the top 16 or did you see Aage Hansen (first reserve)ride als)You maybe qualify for the second prize. I'm not sure if I ever saw Peo Soderman or  P.T. Svensson will have to check my program collection!

30 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

. Norbold were you talking just about the top 16 or did you see Aage Hansen (first reserve)ride als)You maybe qualify for the second prize. I'm not sure if I ever saw Peo Soderman or  P.T. Svensson will have to check my program collection!

From my part, I never saw Aage Hansen ride........

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2022 at 5:25 PM, norbold said:

Seen all but Arthur Payne, Josef Hofmeister and Brian Crutcher.

Hello Norbold, I know we started watching speedway around the same time  (1960?) so I would go along with the list you give but working on Bobbath's update, I would add Dan Forsberg. I was under the impression that he retired in the late 50's so where did you see him ride?                                              

Edited by Split

Ok so who has actually seen Dan Forsberg ride-he was before my time. I think I have seen only10 of the 16 (subject to further review!!!!)

9 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Ok so who has actually seen Dan Forsberg ride-he was before my time. I think I have seen only10 of the 16 (subject to further review!!!!)

Before my time too....missed him originally!

There is 7 of the 16 I can’t recall seeing, may have seen or two of those 7 lbut can’t definitely say I have so I cannot include.

I def seen 2, 3, 4 ,6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 16

I have to admit to having seen all these riders. My first world final I saw was the 1949 World final when English riders finished 1st,2nd, and 3rd

Dan Forsberg was an excellent heat leader for Birmingham  and Aage Hansen rode for Ipswich in 1957

Only seen the last two, gosh I suddenly feel so young;)

• Haha 2

On 1/6/2022 at 1:55 PM, BOBBATH said:

Great posts Chunky-scary list I would be on that list of people born in their forties.

Me too. Seen all of those on Chunky’s list ride.

Well, I was sorry to see that Eric Boothroyd has passed away. I think the current list is now:

1. Arthur Payne       30/8/24

2.Dick Bradley        28/11/24

3.Chum Taylor         4/4/27

4. Ray Cresp           25/8/28

5 .Billy Bales           6/6/29

6.Ian Williams         4/8/31

7.Per Tage Svensson  16/10/31

8.Peo Soderman     29/10/32

9.Ove Fundin           23/5/33

10.Jim Lightfoot      11/1//33

11.Dan Forsberg       25/3/34

12.Josef Hofmeister   17/6/34

13.Brian Crutcher         23/8/34     

14.Mike Broadbank      25/9/34

15.Barry Briggs          30/12/34

16.Aage Hansen        13/4/35

First Reserve. Gote Nordin   2/7/35

Second Reserve. Bob Andrews 27/10/35

Any additions or deletionsw to this list are welcome.

Jim Lightfoot's d.o.b is 11/11/33, I made a mistake in typing ! Hard to believe I know.

With the sad death of Ray Cresp,  Gote Nordin moves up to #16, with Bob Andrews as first reserve and now Reg Luckhurst at 2nd reserve-this is getting a bit too close to home. I saw Reg in his only World Final- 1965 I think.