British Speedway Forum
Starman2006

Somerset Case's Rebels V Workington Comets 18/6/13 P L K O Cup 2nd Leg

I find it remarkable that the riders and the ref can make a judgement on the track after it has been partly bladed without actually stepping out on the track at all. Yes I did see a pile of dirt on the inside because I questioned others about how it would be dealt with. As it happened it was distributed over the track after the blade was used on the outside by using the blade on the inside but in the same direction as the outside. Whether that is the right thing to do or not, I am not qualified to comment. If the track had been inspected after rectification and then it had been announced it was not fit for racing due to damage post blading, then I would have accepted that. The truth is that the riders had decided long before the blading had got near being finished that they were not prepared to race on. If it had been announced that it was too late to complete the meeting then I would have also accepted that. If it was already decided that blading the track would be futile and the track was already unsalvageable and the situation was announced, then I would also have accepted that too. Instead, the track was prepared, looked good, not re-inspected or tested and the meeting abandoned before the rectification was complete. Not acceptable.

I feel that you made this post while still wearing your blinkers.

Let’s face it at the end of the day it’s the riders that put life & limb on the line for our entertainment, speedway is dangerous enough at the best of times.

If, at your place of work, you were asked to perform a duty where you stood a good chance of being injured you would create merry hell and refuse to do it, so why ask these lads to do it remember that they too have families who worry about them and we have had enough bad injuries and fatalities over the last few years.

If anybody should be taken to task then it’s the management and/or the track curator but they were acting on information received about weather conditions – catch 22 situation

• Like 3

So Isn t the point of blading to take the wet stuff of the track ??? And by your own post he bladed it back on ??? And do you think riders who don t get enough pence per mile to cover travel cost and all now have to clean bikes and kits ( go 5 hrs work ) plus the time travelled all for wot just the mileage money yeah riders were really happy to call it off and lose money

Would love to hear the Track guys version of events, he prepares one of the best tracks in the Country, when he's allowed to do it his way, but I have a feeling that lately he's not been allowed to do it his way.

Somerset aren't the first track to be caught out by the weather and I'm sure they won't be the last. Very unfortunate of course for Worky fans who travelled but probably best to not make mountains out of molehills.

The apology by the club draws a line under things IMO.

• Like 1

Somerset aren't the first track to be caught out by the weather and I'm sure they won't be the last. Very unfortunate of course for Worky fans who travelled but probably best to not make mountains out of molehills.

Well said Bagpuss

I was there till gone 2115 and Ezz was still trying to sort out turns 3 and 4 ( with dry shale) and it still looked dangerous.

Yes i was peed off with the call off but at the end of the day riders safety is paramount and the correct decision was made.

Thanks to Debbie for her open and honest apology, the management were unfortunate to get caught out by this stupid English summer. even the met office couldn't get it right so what chance have we mere mortals got at getting it right.

Edited by idh
  • Like 1

Thanks to Debbie for her open and honest apology, the management were unfortunate to get caught out by this stupid English summer. even the met office couldn't get it right so what chance have we mere mortals got at getting it right.

Yes it was an honest apology and sure is welcome but the rub here is that this should have been said last night - see was available, she was involved in the decision making process, they have a roving microphone, had she done so, that gesture would have been far better received instead of waiting for it to appear on the internet. Missed opportunity last night I feel and time to move on.

Oh that famous old word that solves everything SORRY, :rolleyes: , not good enough I'm afraid. Caught out by the weather :rofl: , now maybe I see it different but with racing not until 7pm/7.30pm, why the hell would you think that the sun is going to be hot enough at this time of night to dry out a track with patches and puddles ???? Friday 31st May a lovely day for the pairs, sunshine really warm, Somerset track dry as a bone when we got there and stayed that way until semi final :blink:

Who was the referee? It really is a decision down to him/her and no-one else if a meeting goes ahead or not.

Edited by freddyfivetoes

Who was the referee? It really is a decision down to him/her and no-one else if a meeting goes ahead or not.

Rene tweeted it was good to see the ref listening to the riders, so surely they take advice from others then make a decision.

An apology on Rebels web site is fair enough, and I am happy to accept that, however I know a lot of the old boys who attend are not on the internet so they will probably still be feeling a bit annoyed. Did not see anything about car park fee refund?

Let’s face it at the end of the day it’s the riders that put life & limb on the line for our entertainment, speedway is dangerous enough at the best of times.

If, at your place of work, you were asked to perform a duty where you stood a good chance of being injured you would create merry hell and refuse to do it, so why ask these lads to do it remember that they too have families who worry about them and we have had enough bad injuries and fatalities over the last few years.

I always love this line when it crops up amongst speedway supporters - "They risk their life and limb for our entertainment" ... No they don't, they risk their life potentially for a healthy wage packet at the end of the week. Nobody forced them into doing this job as their way of living - otherwise if it's just for our entertainment, they won't mind turning up and riding for nothing next week will they.

Don't forget either that me, and every other person in the stadium last night that paid to get in are paying their wages. Without any fans, they better start looking for a new job. The fans are the most important position in any club. No fans = No speedway.

An apology on Rebels web site is fair enough, and I am happy to accept that, however I know a lot of the old boys who attend are not on the internet so they will probably still be feeling a bit annoyed. Did not see anything about car park fee refund?

Not really the sort of thing that's going to be slapped over the local sports pages in the papers I'd have thought, is it?

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 1

On updates it lists the ref as Darren Hartley

All very unforntunate circumstances, but I would ask why was the very much respected track curator "advised" by the referee how best to sort his track?

Oh that famous old word that solves everything SORRY, :rolleyes: , not good enough I'm afraid. Caught out by the weather :rofl: , now maybe I see it different but with racing not until 7pm/7.30pm, why the hell would you think that the sun is going to be hot enough at this time of night to dry out a track with patches and puddles ???? Friday 31st May a lovely day for the pairs, sunshine really warm, Somerset track dry as a bone when we got there and stayed that way until semi final :blink:

Because that is what usually happens, with the sun and the sea breeze the track dries out really quickly as as others have posted. Obviously it was disappointing for the away fans who had travelled a long distance to support their team, but lets hope you can move on an accept the managements apology.

Because that is what usually happens, with the sun and the sea breeze the track dries out really quickly as as others have posted. Obviously it was disappointing for the away fans who had travelled a long distance to support their team, but lets hope you can move on an accept the managements apology.

Edited by Buttons