British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Triple.H.

Joe Screen Retirement

i first saw Joe Screen practicing when he was about 14 and i remember his first ever meeting for Belle Vue when he was 16....he got double figures and shortly after remember him storming past Sam Ermolenko who was possibly the best rider in the league at the time.

he was probably the best 16 year old i have ever seen ( i never saw Michael Lee at that age) and was convinced he was a world champion in the making....he never really fulfilled that potential for whatever reason although at his peak was an incredibly talented and exciting rider who had a great career but perhaps not as great as i initially thought he would have.

So Joe has announced he will retire. What an incredible rider. Won the world U21s just as i was getting into speedway and was my favourite rider as a youngster. What do you think next for him?? Id love hin to some sort of national coach

Great career, grand servant!! Wonder if he will be involved with Craig Cook in some capacity.... All the best joe.

Enjoy your retirement Joe. One of this counties finest speedway riders.

Loved watching him at Leicester. His last outing there, he showed everyone how to ride the track.

Well done Joe!!

• Like 1

Will be missed, he has had a great career, hopefully will still give help to the youngsters.. It has been a pleasure having him as captain these last few years, so along with James Grieves Glasgow will miss the pair of them , they have been a great servant to speedway

always rode a Weslake engine when he started and remained on Weslake for quite a while when hardly anybody used them in speedway..such a natural talent on a bike.

Joe will be missed ive love having him at glasgow he is a special talent and im going to enjoy his last meetings as a tiger. next season will be tough and different no joe or james i think i will shed a tear when james retires too.

Edited by glasgowmicktiger

My first speedway hero, as an impressionable 5 year old watching someone do a wheelie of a whole track was simply amazing.

He had said that he would race for two more yrs when he dropped down so it is no surprise but a great racer going out in style with his reputation in tact all the best JS .

Joe Screen Retirment...........LEGEND often over used but not with Joe & a very nice guy to boot. Joe can still produce some breath taking moves onboard a bike. If natual ability alone won you world championships he would have won a few!

BSPA please grant Joe a farewell meeting - can there be anyone more deserving? I can think of a few past & present stars who would be keen to turn out for Joe.