British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Hancock And Gollob When Will They Retire ?

Can't imagine GPs without Tomas.

Doesn't even bear thinking about.

Need to go and lie down in a dark room now.

Yep he is the man for a top draw race.

Well I think Greg Hancock is a fantastic advertisement for our Sport. I love watching him ride and I enjoy his interviews. To me he epitomizes everything a Speedway Rider ought to be. Approachable, Sporting and shows that he is enjoying himself. :t:

LONG MAY HE CONTINUE TO DO SO. :approve: :approve:

I don't see why Hancock and Gollob shouldn't get a pick if they finish outside the top 8?

Far lesser riders have been picked when finishing outside the top 8

• Like 3

THE big question is what else would they do? Cannot see Gollob going into media, for example, and both he and Greg genuinely love riding bikes. Would they get wild card picks if outside the top eight?

Don't think there's any shadow of a doubt if they finished outside the top 8 they'd both get picks... Lesser riders (Harris and Jonsson to name but 2) have been outside the top 8 and undeservedly received wild cards... However I can't see it happening for a couple of years yet. Although both have been mediocre compared to previous seasons, they're still making at least semi's on regular occasions. Consistency is the name of the game with these guys. TG has also got big sponsorship deals running for another couple of years so wouldn't jeapordise these.

With Monster a big part of the GP series now and both works riders, there's no fear these two being left on the sidelines for as long as they're riding...

Don't think there's any shadow of a doubt if they finished outside the top 8 they'd both get picks... Lesser riders (Harris and Jonsson to name but 2) have been outside the top 8 and undeservedly received wild cards... However I can't see it happening for a couple of years yet. Although both have been mediocre compared to previous seasons, they're still making at least semi's on regular occasions. Consistency is the name of the game with these guys. TG has also got big sponsorship deals running for another couple of years so wouldn't jeapordise these.

With Monster a big part of the GP series now and both works riders, there's no fear these two being left on the sidelines for as long as they're riding...

i think you are right that both would get a wildcard if they dropped out of the top 8 and i don't have a problem with that as their history deserves that honour....i cannot see the organisers dispensing with 2 high profile riders like them if the riders themselves want to continue..and they have both been fantastic for the GP's.

My own view is that sport moves on and the wildcards should be offered to younger hungry up and comers which keeps the sport fresh and moving on..the problem is that 2 40 odd year old blokes are probably better still than the likely replacements for them !

• Like 1

The last couple of posts are probably spot on.

It will all come down to what Tomasz and Greg want to do themselves.

If they finish outside the top.8 of course they would get a wildcard if they wanted one.

Can you imagine the bizarre situation of these two giants starting to go though the 2014 qualifying rounds because they still had the desire.

And yet had been denied a Wildcard in favour of Chris Harris!

No one at BSI or the FIM are that stupid.

Are they?

• Like 2

Think the sad thing is that with the exception of 1 or 2 maximum, there aren't really any young guys coming through the ranks that can consistently match this pair...

Is that a fantastic commendation to TG and GH for their outstanding performances meeting on meeting or a sad endigtment of the state of world speedway when we're still probably 3 or 4 years away from seeing the next breed of riders to match this pair?

THE big question is what else would they do? Cannot see Gollob going into media, for example, and both he and Greg genuinely love riding bikes. Would they get wild card picks if outside the top eight?

Surely if they finish outside of the top 8, and they still want to ride in the GP's, a series Wildcard is a given? After seeing some of the crap riders they've given full time slots to over the years (Harris' unprecedented charity springs to mind) riders with the records of Gollob and Hancock would surely be certain to receive a place?

As it is, I think one or both will retire with dignity anyway. Lindback aside, this is such a strong GP year (strongest by far for years), anybody who doesn't qualify by right would have a good shout for a wild card next year.

JT.

Edited by JT

Both have been world champion within the last 3 seasons so they would surely get a wild card. But in some ways that would be a poor call as they are both on the downgrade due to age. Would it be a shame to see performance go further downhill.

Gollob gives up when he is behind and only rarely shows his old brilliance whilst Hancock rides with his head and doesn't get mixed up with the younger lads who ride flat out 100%.

Surely if they finish outside of the top 8, and they still want to ride in the GP's, a series Wildcard is a given? After seeing some of the crap riders they've given full time slots to over the years (Harris' unprecedented charity springs to mind) riders with the records of Gollob and Hancock would surely be certain to receive a place?

As it is, I think one or both will retire with dignity anyway. Lindback aside, this is such a strong GP year (strongest by far for years), anybody who doesn't qualify by right would have a good shout for a wild card next year.

JT.

Therein lies the problem 3 are going to go to be replaced by the top 3 in the challenge final-best result from that would be for Zagar and NKI to finish in the top 3.

The young guns are coming through.... but after swapping everyones engines around a little I wonder if they are coming through at a faster rate than before? The old boys have kept on top of their machinery for years now and this is the first year in a very long time where that isnt happening.

Greg, Tomasz & Nicki clearly are struggling to find the right engines and setup, but as fast as Tai & Emil can find their incredible machinery, so can the old boys and everything could change again next season.

I'm still seeing the same old hunger in Greg & Nicki but I question how much fight there is left in AJ & Tomasz. It speaks volumes for me that Gollob is only riding in one league. He cant be needing the money that much.

Both Greg and Tomasz have a lot to offer the GP scene.The one thing that constantly niggles me, is both are referred to by their ages by the commentators,oldest men in the field etc etc.

The constant how much longer can you go on is being disrespectful to both who remain world class speedway riders.Yes they're not getting the results like before but irrespective of age they are more than worthy of remaining in the series.

Greg and Tomasz may well go out over the next couple of years,so lets enjoy them whilst they're still around.

• Like 1

The constant how much longer can you go on is being disrespectful to both who remain world class speedway riders.Yes they're not getting the results like before but irrespective of age they are more than worthy of remaining in the series.
You've got it the wrong way around. The refering to their ages is pointing out how they're doing a great job at their ages. Lets be honest, most riders at there age have dropped of the proverbial cliff.

In my opinion both Hancock and Gollob have been great servants of the GPs. They are STILL competitive, and surely that is the main criteria. I think BOTH of them could have at least one more GP win left in the tank. I certainly hope they do anyway - they are still great to watch.

The Sport of Speedway will be a lesser Sport when they do eventually retire. :sad: :sad:

Both massive speedway heros of mine although theyre not currently top of their game i hope we have a few more years to watch them Yet!!!