British Speedway Forum

2MinWg:. . . . You've a few that I haven't, and I a few you're missing.

Put them together ( mine with @'s ) and I get this, - noting that there were several intended that were lost to curfews, eg July 11th & 14th.

5.3 Devon S Lambert (Kent) beat L Smart (Devon)

6.4 Leicester S Lambert (Kent) beat J Serjeant (Leicester)

2.5 Coventry S Lambert (Kent) beat J Serjeant (Coventry)

3.5 Stoke B Wilson (Stoke) beat S Lambert (Kent)

4.5 Buxton B Wilson (Stoke) beat T Atkin (Buxton)

16.5 K. Lynn D Mallett (K Lynn) beat B Wilson (Stoke)

30.6 Kent B Morley (Kent) bt Marc Owen (K Lynn)

5.7 @Stoke: Ben Morley (Kent) bt. C.Widman (Stoke)

6.7 @Mldhll: Joe Jacobs(Mldhll) bt. Ben Morley (Kent)

7.7 Kent S Lambert (Kent) bt Josh Bates (Mildenhall)

4.8 @Kent: *J.Armstrong(Stoke) bt. Dave Mason (Kent)

16.8 Stoke L Chessell (Devon) bt Jon Armstrong (Stoke)

2.9 @ Crad/Wtn: Steve Worrall bt. Luke Chessell (Devon)

3.9 K Lynn S Worrall (Cradley) bt Marc Owen (K Lynn)

9.9 @ Crad/Wtn: S.Worrall (Cradley) bt. Jon Sargeant (Cov.II)

30.9 Cradley S Worrall (Cradley) bt Daniel Halsey (Mildenhall)

I can't reconcile a Starke v. Jacobs at Mildenhall in May, - ? ?

What might appear as anomalies, - where's Mallet's 'loss'? He was R/R'd in mtg of June 30th,

- and Jacobs 'loss'? He was riding EL at W'ton on 7th July.

With these explanations the trail is continuous.

2MinWg:. . . . You've a few that I haven't, and I a few you're missing.Put them together ( mine with @'s ) and I get this, - noting that there were several intended that were lost to curfews, eg July 11th & 14th..5.3 Devon S Lambert (Kent) beat L Smart (Devon)6.4 Leicester S Lambert (Kent) beat J Serjeant (Leicester)2.5 Coventry S Lambert (Kent) beat J Serjeant (Coventry)3.5 Stoke B Wilson (Stoke) beat S Lambert (Kent)4.5 Buxton B Wilson (Stoke) beat T Atkin (Buxton)16.5 K. Lynn D Mallett (K Lynn) beat B Wilson (Stoke)30.6 Kent B Morley (Kent) bt Marc Owen (K Lynn)5.7 @Stoke: Ben Morley (Kent) bt. C.Widman (Stoke)6.7 @Mldhll: Joe Jacobs(Mldhll) bt. Ben Morley (Kent)7.7 Kent S Lambert (Kent) bt Josh Bates (Mildenhall)4.8 @Kent: *J.Armstrong(Stoke) bt. Dave Mason (Kent)16.8 Stoke L Chessell (Devon) bt Jon Armstrong (Stoke)2.9 @ Crad/Wtn: Steve Worrall bt. Luke Chessell (Devon)3.9 K Lynn S Worrall (Cradley) bt Marc Owen (K Lynn)9.9 @ Crad/Wtn: S.Worrall (Cradley) bt. Jon Sargeant (Cov.II)30.9 Cradley S Worrall (Cradley) bt Daniel Halsey (Mildenhall).I can't reconcile a Starke v. Jacobs at Mildenhall in May, - ? ?.What might appear as anomalies, - where's Mallet's 'loss'? He was R/R'd in mtg of June 30th,- and Jacobs 'loss'? He was riding EL at W'ton on 7th July..With these explanations the trail is continuous...

sorry Starkie beat Jacobs on 5th October.at Mildenhall Steve Worrall wasn't there to defend it

sorry Starkie beat Jacobs on 5th October.at Mildenhall Steve Worrall wasn't there to defend it

Thanks for that Martin.

I do feel that little capital is made of this event, little coverage or mention made in mtg previews or match reports, which could otherwise benefit the sport (sic) - which it definitely needs! . . Witness this current thread, i.e. the difficulty in finding/following the championship!

With several Bronze Helmet MRCs lost this season, both to weather, (when for match-by-match challenges will always be last race of the night,) and today's scourge, the Curfew, it demonstrates the counter-arguments to last season's discussions (2013, above.)

Mr. M must surely consider re-introducing nominated challenges, monthly or twice-monthly, for 2015, when they'd be first on the programme. Then, unlike this season, promoters will know its coming, and therefore can hype it up for the benefit of their gate, (an aspect they've previously ignored.)

British MRCs, - Gold, Silver, Bronze

Edited by britmet

Thanks for that Martin.

I do feel that little capital is made of this event, little coverage or mention made in mtg previews or match reports, which could otherwise benefit the sport (sic) - which it definitely needs! . . Witness this current thread, i.e. the difficulty in finding/following the championship!

With several Bronze Helmet MRCs lost this season, both to weather, (when for match-by-match challenges will always be last race of the night,) and today's scourge, the Curfew, it demonstrates the counter-arguments to last season's discussions (2013, above.)

Mr. M must surely consider re-introducing nominated challenges, monthly or twice-monthly, for 2015, when they'd be first on the programme. Then, unlike this season, promoters will know its coming, and therefore can hype it up for the benefit of their gate, (an aspect they've previously ignored.)

British MRCs, - Gold, Silver, Bronze

National League probably needs a better title for the match-race championship. Bronze Helmet doesn't set the pulse racing like the thought of the Golden Helmet MRC championship coming to your track in 60s/70s. I can't think of a new title at the moment but something that sounds great is needed.

Agree totally about tracks needing to know if they will have the championship (or not) - for publicity reasons alone

15.3 Devon S Lambert (Kent) beat L Smart (Devon)

6.4 Leicester S Lambert (Kent) beat J Serjeant (Leicester)

2.5 Coventry S Lambert (Kent) beat J Serjeant (Coventry)

3.5 Stoke B Wilson (Stoke) beat S Lambert (Kent)

4.5 Buxton B Wilson (Stoke) beat T Atkin (Buxton)

16.5 K. Lynn D Mallett (K Lynn) beat B Wilson (Stoke)

30.6 Kent B Morley (Kent) bt Marc Owen (K Lynn)

5.7 @Stoke: Ben Morley (Kent) bt. C.Widman (Stoke)

6.7 @Mldhll: Joe Jacobs(Mldhll) bt. Ben Morley (Kent)

7.7 Kent S Lambert (Kent) bt Josh Bates (Mildenhall)

4.8 @Kent: *J.Armstrong(Stoke) bt. Dave Mason (Kent)

16.8 Stoke L Chessell (Devon) bt Jon Armstrong (Stoke)

2.9 @ Crad/Wtn: Steve Worrall bt. Luke Chessell (Devon)

3.9 K Lynn S Worrall (Cradley) bt Marc Owen (K Lynn)

9.9 @ Crad/Wtn: S.Worrall (Cradley) bt. James Sargeant (Cov.II)

30.9 Cradley S Worrall (Cradley) bt Daniel Halsey (Mildenhall)

5.10 Mildenhall P Starke (Cradley) bt Joe Jacobs (Mildenhall)

Many thanks for all the help

The above now seems to be complete to mid-October.

2 races were cancelled due to meetings being abandoned (30.3 Scunny and 23.9 Cradley)

4 races were cancelled due to curfews (12.5 Kent, 11.7 Devon, 29.8 & 26.9 Coventry)

Paul Starke was due to defend the Helmet 21.10 at Cradley (the play-off Final), can't see any record of him having done that. If successful, he would have ridden again at King's Lynn 22.10.

Have to say that this is an official NL competition, and as such results should appear on the BSPA website.

P.S Sorry to change the subject but - did Cradley ever ride the 2nd Leg of the National Shield at King's Lynn?

Edited by TwoMinuteWarning

15.3 Devon S Lambert (Kent) beat L Smart (Devon)6.4 Leicester S Lambert (Kent) beat J Serjeant (Leicester)2.5 Coventry S Lambert (Kent) beat J Serjeant (Coventry)3.5 Stoke B Wilson (Stoke) beat S Lambert (Kent)4.5 Buxton B Wilson (Stoke) beat T Atkin (Buxton)16.5 K. Lynn D Mallett (K Lynn) beat B Wilson (Stoke)30.6 Kent B Morley (Kent) bt Marc Owen (K Lynn)5.7 @Stoke: Ben Morley (Kent) bt. C.Widman (Stoke)6.7 @Mldhll: Joe Jacobs(Mldhll) bt. Ben Morley (Kent)7.7 Kent S Lambert (Kent) bt Josh Bates (Mildenhall)4.8 @Kent: *J.Armstrong(Stoke) bt. Dave Mason (Kent)16.8 Stoke L Chessell (Devon) bt Jon Armstrong (Stoke)2.9 @ Crad/Wtn: Steve Worrall bt. Luke Chessell (Devon)3.9 K Lynn S Worrall (Cradley) bt Marc Owen (K Lynn)9.9 @ Crad/Wtn: S.Worrall (Cradley) bt. James Sargeant (Cov.II)30.9 Cradley S Worrall (Cradley) bt Daniel Halsey (Mildenhall)5.10 Mildenhall P Starke (Cradley) bt Joe Jacobs (Mildenhall)Many thanks for all the helpThe above now seems to be complete to mid-October.2 races were cancelled due to meetings being abandoned (30.3 Scunny and 23.9 Cradley)4 races were cancelled due to curfews (12.5 Kent, 11.7 Devon, 29.8 & 26.9 Coventry)Paul Starke was due to defend the Helmet 21.10 at Cradley (the play-off Final), can't see any record of him having done that. If successful, he would have ridden again at King's Lynn 22.10.Have to say that this is an official NL competition, and as such results should appear on the BSPA website.P.S Sorry to change the subject but - did Cradley ever ride the 2nd Leg of the National Shield at King's Lynn?

The league match on 3rd September counted as the second leg Cradley won 64-29.

Thanks martin_t

Looks like the NL is going to finish with matches not being ridden - just like last year.

I mean, it's not rocket science, is it?

Thanks martin_tLooks like the NL is going to finish with matches not being ridden - just like last year.I mean, it's not rocket science, is it?

And next year there will be even more teams.

In my opinion, match races are an anachcronism from the distant past and have very little appeal these days, and the Bronze Helmet challenges didn't inspire much enthusiasm last season. As soon as the league match had been completed, the crowds started drifting away as normal, even if there was a Bronze Helmet race to come.

When Graham Warren and Jack Parker met in the Golden Helmet Match Race at Birmingham in 1949, they drew a record crowd of 41,000 (some reports say 43,000) to Perry Barr - but those days are well and truly gone now, and I do feel that the Bronze Helmet races should be allowed to fade away.