British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chewbacca

Why No Speedway Track...?

Heard rumours not long ago that a speedway track was planned for the site. If and when it opens though!

Sounds good.Things all still up in the air by the sounds of it.People asking about drag racing and trials and the guy is sort of saying I will see what I can do....also looking at the planning application from May it doesn't seem the speedway track is included,but it is on the FB site.So I guess the speedway is a late addition.And hard to see if there are any building at all around the track,so maybe it is just a training track?Would still be great in such a project as presumably the track could be used every or most days of the week.....

Their news release last week announces they have passed the final stage of planning permission. I have copied the following from their Facebook page. Note this was posted in December so 'Spring next year' is Spring 2016.

We have just completed the last stage of planning, recruited a CEO and are completing financing. Construction will start Spring next year....

The facility's plans include a number of race tracks for bikes and cars, karting, four wheel drive, retail units, and leisure activities like concerts, skating, mountain biking etc. There is a very definite fan focus with modern facilities, parking and great sight lines - from one piece of the circuit you should be able to see the on track action for more than 30 seconds.

Alongside that, there will be a tech park for green tech and high value, which will host university, engineering and race teams. These will play a big part in the regeneration, that the facility hopes to deliver to Ebbw Vale and the surrounding region.

Their website is http://www.circuitofwales.com/

Sounds good.Things all still up in the air by the sounds of it.

I'm not so sure. It's in a something of a remote location and Wales already has three other race circuits, including two in South Wales. I know with respect to karting, the two existing tracks in Wales are struggling and needs competition like a hole in the head, and who'll be paying to bring all these premier events to the track?

And if Newport speedway couldn't make a go of things, how would a track located some distance from major population centres expect to?

• Like 2

I agree the catchment area is small and it is a depressed area, but the road networks are already great and are under vast improvement at the moment, it is already quicker to get to west Wales by travelling this route than it is to use the M4.

I went to pretty much every home match at Newport from 1999 onwards travelling 40 miles from close to Ross-on-wye, if there was to be a new venue here it would get my full support and would be a similar mileage but a shorter time to arrive.

Since Newport closed I have been to one speedway meeting , Somerset, premier league pairs 2014, and only then because I could not get tickets to Gloucestershire v Somerset 20 / 20 Cricket and it was on the way back from a disapointment. I did enjoy it, but it was not like having a team to support, so small steps , but put me down as one lost to speedway who would make a return if there was regular speedway at the Circuit of Wales at any level from National to Elite league.

Sounds good.Things all still up in the air by the sounds of it.People asking about drag racing and trials and the guy is sort of saying I will see what I can do....also looking at the planning application from May it doesn't seem the speedway track is included,but it is on the FB site.So I guess the speedway is a late addition.And hard to see if there are any building at all around the track,so maybe it is just a training track?Would still be great in such a project as presumably the track could be used every or most days of the week.....

The drag racing requests are last minute as one of the two main strips in the UK has been sold for (go on, guess) housing. The amateur levels of the sport can not survive on one track so another venue is required. As this site already has clearance for motorsport then people are asking about the possibility (that said, 20 F1 cars are nowhere near as loud as one top fuel dragster).

The main issue for the drag guys is not the quarter mile strip but the 3/4 of mile they need to slow down.

Rumour has it the current organisers at COW of not really interested in car racing. The aim is more for bikes and track days.

I'm not so sure. It's in a something of a remote location and Wales already has three other race circuits, including two in South Wales. I know with respect to karting, the two existing tracks in Wales are struggling and needs competition like a hole in the head, and who'll be paying to bring all these premier events to the track?

And if Newport speedway couldn't make a go of things, how would a track located some distance from major population centres expect to?

I am thinking in terms of another track that looks like it could be used day in day out for training.Doesn't look like the track is surrounded by any stands and if there is terracing well it is more a grass bank I guess.So fairly low key speedway meetings and all part of a motorsport complex.If they are more interested in motorbikes than cars,then all the better.Seem to be some positives in there if it actually gets built.The speedway track that is

I am thinking in terms of another track that looks like it could be used day in day out for training.Doesn't look like the track is surrounded by any stands and if there is terracing well it is more a grass bank I guess.

It's not so much that it wouldn't be a good place to have a training track or hold grassroots meetings, but the long-term viability of the whole facility.

It's unclear who if anyone is behind the funding of this, even though the UK government appears to throwing 125 million at the project. No-one denies that part of Wales needs re-generating, but building an unneeded race circuit in a remote area smacks of being an expensive white elephant even taking into account the motorsport 'business park'.

• Like 1

The wonderful Trago Mills have been talking for about 15 or 20 years of building a superstore in the same area.

Knowing the locality suggest they stock up on shell suits, trackie bottoms ( and security)

• Like 1

From the Design and Access Statement published January 2013

Dirt Oval

Location: The dirt oval is located between the western edge of the Karting Circuit and southern tip of the

main circuit.

Use: The dirt oval will provide the opportunity for riders to begin experiencing low friction riding and become familiar with drifting. It is thought that by mastering this technique, riders will be better prepared for the sensation of a bike slipping beneath them and more able to negotiate high speed corners and modern tyre slip angles.

Amount: The dirt oval will be contained within a building which will have a gross oor area of 23,184sqm and a building height of 16m. The circuit will be 406m in length. Space will be provided for 500 spectators. As the facility becomes established and is used more regularly additional spectator seating could be added.

I thought Camarthen was a great little track with good viewing---that didn't last long either which was a pity.

Club was kicked out to build a hotel (weird place to build a hotel) what must be getting on for 10 years ago now. No hotel and the track is still sort of there.

Club was kicked out to build a hotel (weird place to build a hotel) what must be getting on for 10 years ago now. No hotel and the track is still sort of there.

But Carmarthen never pulled even half decent crowds did they? Which suggests you are right about Ebbw Vale SCB.

From those involved at Newport they suspect it would still be running had Tim Stone lived. But perhaps he should have used the lights he bought from Newport County and switched to Saturday evenings when Swindon lost that racenight. Certainly there would have been fewer track grading delays that spoilt meetings at Queensway Meadows. Speedway looks faster under lights I've always felt...

But Carmarthen never pulled even half decent crowds did they? Which suggests you are right about Ebbw Vale SCB.

From those involved at Newport they suspect it would still be running had Tim Stone lived. But perhaps he should have used the lights he bought from Newport County and switched to Saturday evenings when Swindon lost that racenight. Certainly there would have been fewer track grading delays that spoilt meetings at Queensway Meadows. Speedway looks faster under lights I've always felt...

Carmarthen would never be described as well attended. I went twice and there could have been no more than 150 people there. But it was good fun, a tidy little track with one of the best views in speedway I have ever seen (on the back straight you literally looked over the track).

As for Newport and Tim Stone. I could write for hours about all the failings there but at the end of the day, while he was alive you never once heard that the club was in trouble, he needed money, the club was going to close down or that any riders were owed anything they were told they'd get. Then the Mallets come along and while they won a KOC and built better teams there was constant money worries, more people that ever seemed to be banned or fell out with the management (and Tim Stone wasn't afraid to ban people!) and story after story of riders/supplier being owed money. Maybe Tim Stones style of accept a rubbish team but know you're going to have one next year was the way to go?

As for Ebbw Vale/Rassau/CoW I'd be prone to not bother with league racing. I'd be SCB licensed but would run, initially PL level individuals once a month. If that worked I'd look at maybe twice a month. I'd also move my level of rider up and down based on attendances and rider availability. I'd try and get a hard-core of rider who rode all meetings (maybe 8-10 of them the same riders) to build up familiarity and I'd also try and get one rider who was a little bit better than the rest so we had a guy who could be aimed for. Every few months I'd bring in a name and build up the my star man vs the name. The name wouldn't have to be anyone great, but "the Hungarian Champion" or "the Dutch Champion", that kind of thing, make it exotic - hard to do when 6/7 of your team are already foreign!

I'd have nothing to do with team speedway. Initially anyway, I may end the year with a Rassau select vs Somerset meeting. But I'd generally be trying to avoid any connection with league/team speedway as it's slowly becoming a farce. I'd aim for a totally difference audience, I'd not try and attract people from the rest of the UK I'd want my locals to turn up. I'd even try some American style handicap racing and look at having the difference divisions too.

To shake things up I'd be inviting those using the moto-x track to come over and race some short track every 4th heat when theres a gap, I'd invite people with pit bikes and quads to also be involved in any extra racing. While the speedway would be #1 priority it wouldn't be the only thing I'd have there and having league racing you're prevented for putting other stuff out during the meeting.