British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Peter Craven Memorial Trophy (50th Anniversary)

This year is the 50th anniversary of Peter Craven's death riding for Belle Vue.

At the start of the year it was announced there would be 15 guaranteed meetings this year, 14 league meetings and the Peter Craven Memorial Trophy.

Now they have decided to run the Peter Craven Memorial trophy as a second half after an Elite League meeting in August!

Belle Vue management what to hang there heads in shame.

The management are rotten to the core.

Feel sorry for Peter cravens family

• Like 1

This year is the 50th anniversary of Peter Craven's death riding for Belle Vue.

At the start of the year it was announced there would be 15 guaranteed meetings this year, 14 league meetings and the Peter Craven Memorial Trophy.

Now they have decided to run the Peter Craven Memorial trophy as a second half after an Elite League meeting in August!

Belle Vue management what to hang there heads in shame.

The management are rotten to the core.

Feel sorry for Peter cravens family

I presume his name and legacy was used as means of generating season ticket sales. i.e promise a meeting with little intention of actually running it

Will the loss of the fixture now make a season ticket more expensive than gate admission?

Sod the season ticket. I have one but not botheredwhatbim bothered about is not acknowledging a true aces legend especially on the anniversary of his 50th passing

A huge shame, Maybe it would be best to preserve his memorial meeting for when the new stadium opens and that can be the opening meeting.

Obviously finances are tough at the moment for all promoters.

Edited by THJ Racing Fans

THINK it is still very much on the agenda

They have said it will be a 2nd half meeting

It does seem like a kick in the teeth to as Aces legend to give him a second half rather than a full individual meeting! Especially with it being the 50th Anniversary meeting as well.

I think a previous poster may have inadvertently let the cat out of the bag with this one - maybe the first meeting at the new stadium is to be a huge meeting - full of international stars - dedicated to Peter Craven Memorial with a field worthy of the great man. Still the only British rider to win two World Titles we should remember.

Maybe the opening meeting will be a tribute to Peter Craven, with maybe the main stand being named after him in a special ceremony at that meeting. (I would personally name the stadium after him - but I guess we are stuck with the NSS title?).

A real shame that we won't see a full individual meeting this year in honour of Craven.

Sadly, I'm not the least bit surprised.

Still the only British rider to win two World Titles we should remember.

Not actually true. Freddie Williams won 2. Not that it should matter.

I can't, to be honest, understand why the Belle Vue Management (whom I have supported through a lot of tough times on here) should decide to demote the Peter Craven 50th Anniversary Meeting to a 'Second Half'.

That an 'Aces' Legend like Peter Craven (and his Family) should be treated in this way seems to me to be a bit of an insult.

I am sorry - but - that is my view, and it pains me to have to say it.

Don't worry....The Peter Craven Memorial Trophy is NOT being demoted to a 2nd half. (don't forget Peter Craven was one of Chris Morton's heroes when Mort was a kid).

The only person insulting Peter Craven is the person who started this wind-up hoax.

So there's a 15th meeting then