British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Wimbledon Stadium: Some Important News

Some of you may already be aware that Paschal Taggart has made a bid with National Asset Management Agency (Ireland) for the development of the Wimbledon Stadium site in Plough Lane for a new state of the art greyhound stadium.

Wimbledon Club Chairman when the track closed in 2005, Ian Perkin has had communications with Paschal's legal counsel and if the bid is successful she has indicated that Paschal would be interested in discussing with the previous promotion whether there might be a suitable opportunity for allowing Speedway racing to take place in the new stadium.

This is a very long way from actually making this a reality, but clearly this potential development represents the only real prospect of Speedway ever returning to Plough Lane, given that the present owners of the site, Risk Capital Partners and Galliard Homes are trying to maximise the value of the site by putting forward a proposal that would see the end of any multi-sport use.

Merton Council have designated the site for the Intensification of Sport and Leisure, but the fight that Paschal's proposals have is making sure that the Council applies total impartiality to the bids being put forward, particularly regarding the AFC Wimbledon bid which would also see the end of any motor sport at Wimbledon Stadium.

Where Speedway fans can help and particularly those who live within Merton and the Greater London Area is to write to the Leader of Merton Council and the Mayor of London to make the case for a multi-use stadium that could be potentially used by all the family for a range of sports.

In writing in support of the development we have the opportunity of demonstrating to Paschal Taggart the level of support there is for Speedway racing in Wimbledon and hopefully help secure with the local planning authorities approval to a stadium development that keeps alive the possibility of one day the sport returning to Plough Lane.

The contact details if you want to help with this project are listed below.

Cllr Stephen Alambritis

Leader of the Council

London Borough of Merton

Merton Civic Centre

London Road

Morden,

SM4 5DX

Email: stephen.alambritis@merton.gov.uk

Boris Johnson Mayor of London

Greater London Authority

City Hall

The Queen's Walk More London London SE1 2AA

By email: mayor@london.gov.uk

(please also provide your postal address in the emails)

I wish those associated with The Dons every success in their bid to get the bikes roaring around again in South West London.

However, and with all due respect, would it not be more advantageous to set up an online petition to the aforementioned parties?

I would imagine that the amount of Speedway fans within the London area is now quite low. Many of us have moved out - but would dearly love to show our support. Writing letters is (unfortunately) a dying art form these days for many. To this end, an online petition may possibly generate a much greater response?

Once again, sincere best wishes in your efforts.

Oh for the days of Speedway at Plough Lane, and my beloved Waterden Road. :(

Edited by The Voice Of Reason

First 2 responses from Hackney supporters!!!! Will keep my fingers crossed that this can happen, lets hope for some good news.

Here's hoping. :t:

• Like 1

A football club want it , so I won't be bothering with any petitions etc as anything else has no chance ,.good luck with it though for those of you who hold Hopes of speedway returning

Edited by speedibee

Could someone explain the role of NAMA in this please? Do they have an existing interest in the site?

A football club want it , so I won't be bothering with any petitions etc as anything else has no chance ,.good luck with it though for those of you who hold Hopes of speedway returning

I can understand your pessimism, but AFC Wimbledon are in League 2 (fourth division), not super flush with cash, I wouldn't have thought. London is not exactly short of football stadiums, but is short of speedway and would be totally short if greyhounds and stocks disappear. Therefore, there has to be optimism if greyhounds, speedway and stocks band together and stress the benefit of multi-use, as it is unlikely AFC Wimbledon would want greyhounds. I wonder if the locals would want football back in Plough Lane? Do we know if Boris likes speedway? I reckon he might like greyhounds!

I can understand your pessimism, but AFC Wimbledon are in League 2 (fourth division), not super flush with cash, I wouldn't have thought. London is not exactly short of football stadiums, but is short of speedway and would be totally short if greyhounds and stocks disappear. Therefore, there has to be optimism if greyhounds, speedway and stocks band together and stress the benefit of multi-use, as it is unlikely AFC Wimbledon would want greyhounds. I wonder if the locals would want football back in Plough Lane? Do we know if Boris likes speedway? I reckon he might like greyhounds!

I wouldn't have a clue what league AFC Wimbledon are in completely non football ,but I know when ever footbal is involved in anything at any level they always get priority and theres always someone to throw money at them . as an aside where do they play at the moment ?

AFC Wimbledon play at Kings Meadow.

It's the home ground of a very famous football club Kingstonian (in Kingston-upon-Thames) - somewhat ironically considering the Wimbledon FC story, AFC have done something of a cuckoo act by taking over someone's else's ground...

• Like 1

LInk to the Racing Post story mentioned in the Irish Examiner story.

http://www.racingpos...ng/1319343/top/

Not sure what difference that makes. Just one tentacle of RCP passing the running (down) of the stadiums to another tentacle...

Edited by salty

15 years leases for two Birmingham tracks (one hosting speedway) and Belle Vue (home to speedway and stock cars at the moment) doesn't look bad to me.

The key now is to keep an eye on Wimbledon Stadium developments...stock cars still there = can speedway resume as well?

But its just the status quo as far as I can see. One arm Of RCP running the 4 stadiums much as they have done under the guise of the GRA. They have run Plough Lane into the ground and will continue to do so.

......But the key now is to keep an eye on Wimbledon Stadium developments...stock cars are still there - can speedway resume as well......

Because of its location, those in the know suggest that stockcars at Wimbledon has a very short shelf life. Since the introduction of the London Emissions Zone, there has been a steady decline in the numbers of drivers booking in, as costs are making it prohibitive.

Indeed it's been suggested that the stadium improvements at Foxhall have been done to accommodate more car racing when Spedeworth pull the plug at Plough Lane.

On a personal level I would love to see AFC Wimbledon playing again at Plough Lane, which would be a fantastic reward for those loyal Dons fans.