British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Wimbledon Stadium: Some Important News

I enjoy my footy too, Little Thumper, but I believe that there should be a balance in sports offered in an area.

I think this takes care of the last dog track in London doesn't it?

All very sad.

I went past the old place yesterday, it did look a site for sore eyes.

Such a shame as I remember the first time I rode there I thought wow what a great stadium and a nice shaped track. It was a great speedway venue, sad loss.

RIP Wimbledon Speedway. Sadly, it had no chance once the football got involved, because that empty sport is controlled solely by money.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

The stadium is and was always sadly destined for bigger and better things, speedway was always reliant on the graft and money of the likes of the greyhound and football fraternity, sadly only one would to a degree would work with them in this respect and the end result is a football stadium.

Speedway had little or no chance of continuing.

Such a shame as I remember the first time I rode there I thought wow what a great stadium and a nice shaped track. It was a great speedway venue, sad loss.

That's interesting to know that you rode at Wimbledon robert72. You say 'first time' which indicates more than one outing at Plough Lane. :approve:

That's interesting to know that you rode at Wimbledon robert72. You say 'first time' which indicates more than one outing at Plough Lane. :approve:

Yes I rode there twice, it was the best stadium and track I raced at in the London area, didn't like hackney or arena at all.

the biggest "mystery" on BSF forum,Who is the STIG of the speedway tracks.

I had a problem with the start marshal and the fence in my first race there but loved the track afterwards,think I only rode there two or three times but it was far better than hackney and arena tracks and a lovely stadium. Remember the score board which looked good.

I had a problem with the start marshal and the fence in my first race there but loved the track afterwards,think I only rode there two or three times but it was far better than hackney and arena tracks and a lovely stadium. Remember the score board which looked good.

Thanks for the update robert72. Yes, the scoreboard at Plough Lane was excellent. Oddly, the first ever speedway meeting I saw at Wimbledon was in 1948. It was a National League match between Wembley and Belle Vue. :icon_smile_clown:

Edited by Guest