Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Wimbledon Stadium: Some Important News

Because of its location, those in the know suggest that stockcars at Wimbledon has a very short shelf life. Since the introduction of the London Emissions Zone, there has been a steady decline in the numbers of drivers booking in, as costs are making it prohibitive.

Indeed it's been suggested that the stadium improvements at Foxhall have been done to accommodate more car racing when Spedeworth pull the plug at Plough Lane.

On a personal level I would love to see AFC Wimbledon playing again at Plough Lane, which would be a fantastic reward for those loyal Dons fans.

Actually, that may help Speedway. One of the stumbling blocks for speedway returning at Plough Lane has been the tarmac stock car track. With stocks gone, tarmac can go and shale put down. Do I detect a spy/traitor within this thread?

Not so far as I can see. Most comments seem to be set on the future of Wimbledon Stadium generally? :neutral:

I was referring to the poster who made the following comment:- On a personal level I would love to see AFC Wimbledon playing again at Plough Lane, which would be a fantastic reward for those loyal Dons fans. But it was supposed to be a joke, but like most of my jokes, has fallen flat! LOL!
  • Like 1

Because of its location, those in the know suggest that stockcars at Wimbledon has a very short shelf life. Since the introduction of the London Emissions Zone, there has been a steady decline in the numbers of drivers booking in, as costs are making it prohibitive.

Indeed it's been suggested that the stadium improvements at Foxhall have been done to accommodate more car racing when Spedeworth pull the plug at Plough Lane.

On a personal level I would love to see AFC Wimbledon playing again at Plough Lane, which would be a fantastic reward for those loyal Dons fans.

would certainly answer the question why would they bother to invest that heavily? Next question is there scope for increased usage? On a personal level I would like to see both "Dons" back in Plough Lane however forlorn that hope is.

That can never happen: football and speedway are 'estranged bed fellows'. Basically, football clubs do not like speedway tracks round their piches.

That sadly can happen but it has worked and still does ...........sometimes they need each other...........the hard bit is pointing it out to them.

Thanks. I agree - that comment about AFC Wimbledon - ('darlings of Merton Council'?) was rather unexpected!

I think if AFC Wimbledon are now the "darlings of Merton Council", then it is something that's long overdue. In the past the council have treated the football fans of Wimbledon pretty shabbily, so hopefully they plan to redress the balance.

Remember Wimbledon were a first division / premier league team in 1991, when their owner decided to move them across London to Crystal Palace. Then in 2002, as a Championship team (2nd tier of English football) they were reallocated to Milton Keynes.

So what did their fans do? Whinge about it on Fans Forums, petition the local council? ......yes of course they did.

But some of them were not going to be beaten. They got off their backsides and did something about it. They formed a new club, and joined a league in the 9th tier of English football. Through sheer hard work they fought their way back to regain their league status.

All this with little or no support from the local council.

So personally I think those AFC Wimbledon fans deserve the right to play once again in the borough, and to have a Plough Lane address would be magical.

• Like 1

That can never happen: football and speedway are 'estranged bed fellows'. Basically, football clubs do not like speedway tracks round their piches.

Berwick and Glasgow have both managed to get into bed with football clubs...

Berwick and Glasgow have both managed to get into bed with football clubs...

I think you might find that the Wembley Stadium had a Speedway track round the outside of the footbal pitch and greyhound track as well. Edited by mickthemuppet

I think you might find that the Wembley Stadium had a Speedway track round the outside of the footbal pitch and greyhound track as well.

Yes - but - in Wembley's case they put a stop to it as soon as they could after Sir Arthur Elvin died.

I think you might find that the Wembley Stadium had a Speedway track round the outside of the footbal pitch and greyhound track as well.

Thanks Mick - so did Shawfield and Hampden at one time. I think perhaps St Mirren Park as well? I thought he meant currently though which was why I mentioned those two :)

I think if AFC Wimbledon are now the "darlings of Merton Council", then it is something that's long overdue. In the past the council have treated the football fans of Wimbledon pretty shabbily, so hopefully they plan to redress the balance.

Remember Wimbledon were a first division / premier league team in 1991, when their owner decided to move them across London to Crystal Palace. Then in 2002, as a Championship team (2nd tier of English football) they were reallocated to Milton Keynes.

So what did their fans do? Whinge about it on Fans Forums, petition the local council? ......yes of course they did.

But some of them were not going to be beaten. They got off their backsides and did something about it. They formed a new club, and joined a league in the 9th tier of English football. Through sheer hard work they fought their way back to regain their league status.

All this with little or no support from the local council.

So personally I think those AFC Wimbledon fans deserve the right to play once again in the borough, and to have a Plough Lane address would be magical.

All sterling stuff and can understand your passion, but this is a speedway forum!

I notice that that once again the anonymous and pusillanimous hand of moderation has been in action again.

Of course these faceless guardians of good taste and morality, have not shown the common decency to explain why they found it necessary to edit the post. I understand that when you join a club you accept the rules of that club, but having checked the Forum Posting Guidelines, I cannot understand what rules I've breached.

This time it was felt necessary to edit and delete the phrases:

Now without an explanation one can only speculate. Was it just ignorance, a fear of what they didn't understand or some perverse form of xenophobia?

Surely this 'campaign' should become the remit of the newly formed 'Speedway Parliamentary Group' announced by BSPA this week!!

I fully understood your two Spanish quotes: Buenos tardes - good evening, and vamos azul! - let's go blue. Nothing offensive in them at all. I fail to understand why they were deleted but I assume that's the final perogative of being a moderator. They have a job to do and all things considered do cope admirably in their task.

Adios Amigo!

I agree being a moderator isn't the easiest task, but why do they seem to get their knickers in a twist over such an inconsequential issue. Once again the words Buenos tardes, vamos azul have been removed, as has hasta la vista now.

I'm surprised that your adios amigo has remained intact!!!!

Esta muy bien!

Now let's get back to debating on the Wimbledon Stadium issue.

"Ándele! Ándele! Arriba! Arriba! Epa! Epa! Epa! Yeehaw!". :wink::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(Speedy Gonzales - 1953)

Edited by The White Knight

Just for the record,Cowdenbeath and Newtongrange were also active football venues.