British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Wimbledon Stadium: Some Important News

Is speedway to be considered as above other sports - so perfect that comparisons should not be made?

I think comparisons can be made for sure.Even speedway and football,as here.But I am not sure on the worth of on a speedway forum continuously bringing up stock cars year after year as we can see by a quick search.What is even more galling on a speedway forum is the delight taken in predicting its imminent death which seems to come through from your posts.It would take a longer search to find all those posts,but probably possible with time ;)

• Like 1

I think comparisons can be made for sure.Even speedway and football,as here.But I am not sure on the worth of on a speedway forum continuously bringing up stock cars year after year as we can see by a quick search.What is even more galling on a speedway forum is the delight taken in predicting its imminent death which seems to come through from your posts.It would take a longer search to find all those posts,but probably possible with time ;)

I don't see it as taking delight. I detect a sadness for what this great Sport of ours used to be and is no longer.

You cannot question the fact though that Crowds are indeed dropping (so we are told) - now if this is the case and it continues for a long time then yes - Speedway will die.

I take no pleasure in saying that - it is just an unarguable fact.

...but I didn't start the debate about stock cars currently on General Discussions according tp this:

Why Is Stock Car Racing Rubbish?
Started by iris123, Nov 25 2015 02:22 PM

No,you didn't start that one,but quite a number before that.You also haven't been to a speedway meeting and i'd guess a stock car one for years and also stated speedway was a wasted time in your life and seem to predict its demise quite often.I wonder if you don't really care much for speedway any more......why?

• Like 2

No, I haven't taken any time to read the planning application, I leave that to the professionals. Clearly the professionals employed by the London Borough of Merton have satisfied themselves that the area can sustain a development of that size, which is why the planning committee voted UNANIMOUSLY to approve the plan.

Now the Stadium is in the London Borough of Merton, not Wandsworth.....so their views are interesting, but not relevant. A cynic may, of course, say that it’s the case of a neighboring Tory council trying to undermine a Labour authority, particularly as the plan will make a significant contribution towards Merton’s achieving its 10-year target for new homes.

Personally, I would have thought any sports fan would prefer even a "nondescript football stadium" to a car auction site!!!

I'm sure that a lot of effort went into negotiating with the GRA over the planned rent increase, and the extensive search for a new suitable venue. But that was but a few people. Where were the fans on the streets with their buckets....outside supermarkets, shopping centres and even football grounds! Sadly they were nowhere to be seen.....and that's Wimbledon's problem. You can dress it up all you like, the reason they closed in 1991 mid-season, was too few people were bothered to come through the turnstiles. AND THAT IS APATHY!!!!

Anyway, enjoy your little dream that the decision will get overturned, but given his track record what are the chances of Boris falling out with Galliard......but hey sweet dreams!!!

It's been a great weekend thus far:

• My adoptive team Ipswich Town has just beaten the Franchise Team
  • The Town are now in the Play-Off positions
  • The Norwich Scum failed to win at home again
  • AND THE DONS ARE BACK AT THE LANE

I feel a rendition of the famous AFC Wimbledon "Champagne Song" coming on. Now all together now:

We drink champagne, we snort cocaine. we've got ladies over here,

You've got poor jobs, you mess with your dogs and your wife is on the game.

We drive Ferraris, we drink Camparis, we've got wombles in our lives,

You've got bus-stops, second hand shops and your mum's in readers wives.

We've got Gucci and Armani, we've got Prada over here,

You've got Buyright, your clothes are too tight, and your haircut's rather weird.

We are wombles super wombles, super wombles from the Lane,

we are wombles super wombles, we are wombles we drink champagne..

Suggest you stop posting about this now or just disappear to a football forum. Am going to put you on ignore anyway.

Now the Stadium is in the London Borough of Merton, not Wandsworth.....so their views are interesting, but not relevant.

Hold on a minute, you ignorant buffoon.

Anyone with even a modest knowledge of the Wimbledon Stadium site knows that its north-east chunk is actually inside the London Borough of Wandsworth !! ... the border between Merton and Wandsworth runs through the stadium's land !!

Clearly the bulk of the stadium site is within Merton, hence why any planning matters so far have gone through their council operations.

But one of the few things everyone can agree upon, be they football, greyhound, speedway fans or councillors or planning officers or developers is that this is a quirky site because of that chunk within Wandsworth which gives that borough's council the chance to at least challenge anything Merton might have appeared to steam-roll through.

So any comment from councillors or officials over in Wandsworth does remain relevant until any challenges they choose to make have been debated and decided upon.

By all means celebrate football's upper hand at this stage if that's your outlook but you're wonderfully betraying your ignorance by not having a clue about Wandsworth's relevance to the Wimbledon Stadium site.

• Like 3

Suggest you stop posting about this now or just disappear to a football forum. Am going to put you on ignore anyway.

Ah what a shame, it's a pity that yours powers of meaningful debate go no further than spitting your dummy out and putting your fingers in your ears.

Bless!!!!

Hold on a minute, you ignorant buffoon.........

Thank you, Arthur, for you kind words of support.

Was not one of the key recommendations in the report of the planning inspector, that the London Borough of Merton would have full control over the whole of the planning process?

Don't you think the tone of your thread title is confrontational?

I think they way you have changed it,it is a lot red and rather large ,otherwise I don't see a problem.

You fail to answer the question I put to you though.Which was......

You also haven't been to a speedway meeting and i'd guess a stock car one for years and also stated speedway was a wasted time in your life and seem to predict its demise quite often.I wonder if you don't really care much for speedway any more......why?

• Like 1

In my view you have already stated your pre-decided point with

Why Is Stock Car Racing Rubbish?

rather than ask a question with

Is Stock Car Racing Rubbish?

I wasn't looking for your view on that.I asked you a different question.........twice

• Like 1

I find this matter of greater interest - at least to me. :icon_smile_clown:

Of course you do.You have plenty of time on your hands and don't attend speedway nor stock car any more.So why the fascination with both especially when you say your time involved with speedway were wasted years and you take some sort of delight in predicting its imminent demise.........you also seem fascinated in hula hoops,Russia and roller skate speedway amongst other things :P

Mr Snackette I genuinely cannot work out whether you are ignorant or just trolling. For someone who is so adamant the right decision has been made you have very little knowledge of the stadium and the surrounding area. As Arthur Cross pointed out the stadium is also situated in the borough of Wandsworth therefore their objections are very relevant.

Mr Snackette I genuinely cannot work out whether you are ignorant or just trolling. For someone who is so adamant the right decision has been made you have very little knowledge of the stadium and the surrounding area. As Arthur Cross pointed out the stadium is also situated in the borough of Wandsworth therefore their objections are very relevant.

I know the geography very well, but as I pointed out to Arthur notwithstanding the boundary issues, one of the key recommendations in the report of the planning inspector was that the London Borough of Merton would have full control over the whole of the planning process. Nuff said!!!

A sad day that Wimbledon Speedway at Plough Lane has finally bit the dust.

Good luck to Wimbledon AFC in their new project.

I know the geography very well, but as I pointed out to Arthur notwithstanding the boundary issues, one of the key recommendations in the report of the planning inspector was that the London Borough of Merton would have full control over the whole of the planning process. Nuff said!!!

I suggest you go away and read the planning proposal.

A sad day that Wimbledon Speedway at Plough Lane has finally bit the dust.

Good luck to Wimbledon AFC in their new project.

didn't Wimbledon FC go bust hence why Peter Winkleman and co bought them outright and moved the franchise to Milton Keynes, so what has changed to make them more viable, surely with all the other football teams in and around London times will be even harder for them.

didn't Wimbledon FC go bust hence why Peter Winkleman and co bought them outright and moved the franchise to Milton Keynes, so what has changed to make them more viable, surely with all the other football teams in and around London times will be even harder for them.

I hope they go bust again . so do the developers galliard homes ,in fact it's probably in the long term plan for to that happen , 5 or even ten years down the line , the stadium gets flattened and the housing complex simply expands inwards to cover it's footprint