British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Wimbledon Stadium: Some Important News

Was amazed the first time we went there. Compared to the deserted dog track we converted back at Lynn, this was another world. We sat in the main stand and watched the meeting from behind the glass. The drinks flowed all night, and when we were ready we ordered our meals. Such a civilised existent. This took us to another level of the sport..

Such was our enjoyment we pledged to go to the International (Whit-Monday) every year.. It wasn't the best racing, nor was the track that special, but for excitement and enthusiasm this was always a special meeting.

It was a sad loss when speedway was finished there.. Thinking about, West Ham, Hackney; Wembley, Wimbledon, why can't teams in London make it pay..????

This information would indicate that speedway also will not be seen again at Wimbledon Stadium:

::::::::::

Wimbledon Stadium – The Final Season!

Spedeworth / Incarace would like to announce that following a letter of confirmation from GRA Limited it is now confirmed that the 2016/17 winter season at Wimbledon Stadium will be the final season of short oval racing at the Plough Lane venue before the site is closed for re-development.

The rumours have gone on for years about the demise of Wimbledon Stadium with everyone wondering at the end of every season if we will return for another year.

Thanks to many people behind the scenes, there have been petitions, negotiations and many forms of communication to keep stock car racing in the capital city. Thanks to all of the efforts from everyone Wimbledon Stadium has continued to run stock car racing over the past few years and we have witnessed some of the best moments in the stadiums history from fantastic Banger events to the domestic events which caught everyone by surprise with the quality of the racing on the night.

Unfortunately, the final decisions have been made by the local authorities and the vote was passed for the re-development of the site.

HOWEVER……

At this time of year fixture planning for the 2017 season is well underway and we are going to be organising some superb events not to be missed before the final meeting at Plough Lane which will take place on Sunday 26th March 2017 when we will bid farewell to Wimbledon Stadium.

The history of the sport at Wimbledon Stadium will never be forgotten and before the gates close for the final time we will be making even more memories that people will be talking about for generations to come.

Over the next few weeks the meetings will be announced via the Spedeworth / Incarace websites with some big surprises added to the mix so don’t forget to check the websites www.spedeworth.co.uk / www.incarace.co.uk to make sure you don’t miss out on any of the upcoming news and dates for your diary.

Spedeworth / Incarace would like to thank everyone for their support over the years at Wimbledon Stadium from the drivers, officials, medical teams, stadium staff and of course all the race fans who have joined us come rain (and sometimes snow) or shine to add to the unique atmosphere that Wimbledon Stadium has always had.

Continuing with the 2016 half of the season at Wimbledon Stadium the next meeting is this Sunday (13th November) featuring the first half of the Best In Britain which includes the 1300cc Stock Cars, 2.0 Hot Rods, Lightning Rods and Superstox. First race starts at 5.30pm!

Just got back from visiting the old place for the last time tonight- greyhound St Leger final. Many happy memories of the place both Speedway and Dogs- Had a chat with Roger Cearns who I`m sure has many more memories of the place than myself.

• Like 1

Just got back from visiting the old place for the last time tonight- greyhound St Leger final. Many happy memories of the place both Speedway and Dogs- Had a chat with Roger Cearns who I`m sure has many more memories of the place than myself.

Was this the last greyhound racing at Wimbledon Stadium or are there further meetings? I have tried a Google search for this information but all I get is details of the restaurant facilities - and that looks quite old. Thank you?

Edited by Guest

According to SKY last night, dog racing will continue until march 2017.

Thank you for he response cityrebel. My interest in the end of greyhound racing at Wimbledon was just to see how it fitted in with the demise of the car racing at Plough Lane. Sad times indeed - I first saw speedway at Plough Lane in 1948.

Edited by Guest

According to SKY last night, dog racing will continue until march 2017.

Certainly was the last big night there- sadly there was hardly anyone there !!!. they have understandly lost a lot of their trainer`s to other tracks and cannot at the moment get enough dogs for their one day a week Saturday night meeting - Last Saturday they only had enough dogs for 7 races and 2 of those were 5 dog races. I hear the place though is packed.

They will try and get through the Christmas party meetings and then it would not surprise me if they stopped racing early in the new year.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

A sad time for me personally. I worked at Wimbledon stadium on the speedway and greyhound operations for 22 years. I attended over 700 Speedway meetings at Plough lane between 1968 - 2005. As a lifelong dons fan, it will be the end of an era.

• Like 2

There are still those who have strong affections for Wimbledon Speedway who have their own group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2426614704/

A sad time for me personally. I worked at Wimbledon stadium on the speedway and greyhound operations for 22 years. I attended over 700 Speedway meetings at Plough lane between 1968 - 2005. As a lifelong dons fan, it will be the end of an era.

​In 1954, I actually worked as a track raker at Wimbledon for about six weeks. Also in the raking staff were some junior speedway riders - offhand I recall Bob Warner, Dave Freeborn, Al Holliday, John Gronow and (I think) possibly Ernie Baker. Our payment was free admission to the meeting (obviously) plus seven shillings and sixpence expenses. According to a Google check in present times this is an estimated value:

Current data is only available till 2015. In 2015, the relative price worth of £0 7s 6d from 1954 is: £9.26 using the retail price index £8.89 using the GDP deflator Edited by Guest

Dave Goddard

30 mins ·
It's Tuesday. And you know what that means - #OvalTalk Live on Downforce Radio. Today it's a Wimbledon Stadium special as we chat to Peter Gray and look ahead at the stadium's final winter season and take your stories and memories - what's your best Wimbledon memory? Plus we also talk Rookie Bangers and their big events at Ipswich and Ringwood this month - tune in from 8pm.

Signed the petition.

My first visit to Wimbledon was 1968 for the Internationale on the Bank Holday .

Many good memories re Wimbledon.

• Like 1

London these days is populated by over 50% of citizens who were born in a foreign country, many from African and Middle Eastern origin plus the Indian sub continent none of these countries have much if any interest in Motor Sport of any kind. This means that your potential target audience is vastly reduced and inevitably results in a great reduction of paying customers through the gates. This slewing of the London area population and the continuation of a reduction of WASPs means that audiences will continue to fall at all London Based sports events.

• Like 1

London these days is populated by over 50% of citizens who were born in a foreign country, many from African and Middle Eastern origin plus the Indian sub continent none of these countries have much if any interest in Motor Sport of any kind. This means that your potential target audience is vastly reduced and inevitably results in a great reduction of paying customers through the gates. This slewing of the London area population and the continuation of a reduction of WASPs means that audiences will continue to fall at all London Based sports events.

If you start off using false information you will end up with a wrong conclusion

London "these days" isn't populated by over 50% of citizens who were born in a foreign country.Some parts of London have a population where 50% or more were born in a foreign country.But a large number of these were born in Poland,a big speedway country.Even if we know in real terms not that many Polish peple attend speedway

Totally incredible conclusion at the end.Have you never seen stadiums in India or Africa full at sporting events?Are you saying outside of WASP's nobody is interested in sport? :rofl::rofl::rofl: