British Speedway Forum
martin_t

Oh Dear, Lee Guilty Of Drug Possession

Fifteen pages on and this Michael Lee thread is still a hot potato. Over 20 years since his last league race, Lee is still capturing our attention.

We all remember from speedway glory times how Lee walked out of a meeting after several exclusions, the image of his jacked-off-with-speedway expression as he quit the arena.

He filled many column inches in that period and, right or wrong and for whatever reasons, put speedway in the headlines.

He was always of interest, and this thread proves he still is, his story possibly could have filled two books.

The thing is, the state speedway is, how many of today's personalities will we be discussing in the year 2035?

Thirty years after his infamous Ipswich walkout and his frustration with referee Frank Ebdon's starting techniques, we all remember it vividly. It created a buzz.

There was, still is, and will forever be a story contained within Michael Lee’s gangly frame.

In contrast, 30 hours after the latest SKY match, was it Birmingham vs Wolves, how many rider interviews can you remember from that piece of TV Gold?

Exactly…

Go on, admit it, we love characters like Michael Lee.

There are too many squeaky-clean riders with nothing of interest to say in the current inexpressive speedway scene.

Give me a Michael Lee story any day… rather than an interview with a current Superstar that is about as enlightening as 30 seconds with his toolbox would have been.

Boy! Am I going to get some stick now….

Great post ..let get more drug takers and dealers into the sport .

I do not see where any poster in defence of Michael Lee has advocated what you suggest.

If they were not speedway riders would you still be wanting to see their good, or would you be calling them morons and other such names? So many people on here defend the indefensible simply because they wear speedway tinted glasses.

Perhaps Ward should study Michael Lee and it may scare Ward enough to help him find the right path so his natural talent is not wasted.

Hope so but Lee wasn't a waste of talent though was he? still had 7 top class seasons in him won a world title was 3rd twice 4th, not a bad cv eh?People can slag Mike off and take the P... but no one can ever take away from him what a brilliant rider he was.
  • Like 1

Hope so but Lee wasn't a waste of talent though was he? still had 7 top class seasons in him won a world title was 3rd twice 4th, not a bad cv eh?People can slag Mike off and take the P... but no one can ever take away from him what a brilliant rider he was.

How very true. Well said.

Don`t know what all the fuss is about...A chap has repeatedly broken the laws of this country and been punished, thats how it should be ......I have no sympathy for the Wards / Lees / Gazzas of this world who continue to cross paths with the law ( guilty or otherwise )

I didn't realise Ward was a convicted murderer? get real what a pathetic comment.

I am a little surprised at your comment..stifle any contributions etc etc! What I have been trying to do, and hopefully have been successful is to present an alternative point of view to this sad affair. I hold no personal brief for Michael Lee, who I have never met, but only know him as a successful speedway rider in his racing career. I do, though, live in a world where forgiveness is regarded as a quality of life and feel that is what is now needed in regard to Lee. :approve:

All I can say is if you are jumping on the Michael Lee bandwagon, you will need to become a serial forgiver........good luck with that!!!

All I can say is if you are jumping on the Michael Lee bandwagon, you will need to become a serial forgiver........good luck with that!!!

Would you put Michael Lee in the same category as Brady, Huntley,Shipman,West? have a rethink put his offences in the right context.

Would you put Michael Lee in the same category as Brady, Huntley,Shipman,West? have a rethink put his offences in the right context.

I'm sure you can do better than that.....have you got a big brother who may be able to help you ?

I'm sure you can do better than that.....have you got a big brother who may be able to help you ?

You must have a personal grievance, that is your prerogative, deal with it.

Michael Lee has done wrong and been dealt with, quite rightly, by the law of the land.

If you do not agree then campaign your MP. End of.

Great post ..let get more drug takers and dealers into the sport .

No, then it wouldn't work, if we had more drug takers.

It is because we have one or two isolated characters that come along every now and again that makes them stand alones. Michael Lee is one, there was Kenny Carter, Garry Middleton, Jack Millen... The list goes on.

The only character I can think of in modern day speedway, and one that I adore watching, is Nicki Pedersen. Tomas Gollob is another.

Apart from that... er... go on, give your heads some working. Can you think of anyone?

No, then it wouldn't work, if we had more drug takers.

It is because we have one or two isolated characters that come along every now and again that makes them stand alones. Michael Lee is one, there was Kenny Carter, Garry Middleton, Jack Millen... The list goes on.

The only character I can think of in modern day speedway, and one that I adore watching, is Nicki Pedersen. Tomas Gollob is another.

Apart from that... er... go on, give your heads some working. Can you think of anyone?

What is a character ? in your list you include a serial drug taken a murdered ...if that is how you are judging people then Ward after the year he has had must be a all time great !

Edited by orion

What is a character ? in your list you include a serial drug taken a murdered ...if that is how you are judging people then Ward after the year he has had must be a all time great !

Add to that Gary Middleton getting in the papers for waving a gun around in the pits.Just the sort of "characters" speedway needs.

Someone's tetchy this morning. The names I listed were characters, I feel anyway, but Ward has nothing about him to be put alongside these names. Maybe his story will be best told by future generations, I don't know, his rogue antics have happened away from the speedway track. Mentioning a killer is a low remark, as Carter did more for the sport on the track... and Lee made his bad-boy name partly for his antics on a speedway track.

Ward, apart from a few wheelies here and there, what else is there about him. His interviews are as bad as watching paint grow, and he has no personality, but that's just my opinion.

Ward's misgivings have nothing to do with speedway. The names I list all have stories about them that happened on speedway tracks.

Garry Middleton, the story of him having a gun at a speedway track and what the papers would make of that, well, at least they would be interested.... just as many recall the story 40 years since it apparently happened. We have no story makers in speedway - apart from Craig Cook and Ben Barker recently - that help the sport build up interest - even amongst its own faithful.

In 1991, when Michael Lee made a return to speedway after six years out, the interest it created.

Often Halifax, led by Kenny Carter, were poor visitors to Belle Vue, hammered by 30 points on most occasions. But I stumped up my admission fee, knowing there was always something likely to happen when he was in town.

Most of today's speedway stars compare to Cliff Richard... sometimes fans wish to see characters similar to Mario Balotellii.

Edited by moxey63

Someone's tetchy this morning. The names I listed were characters, I feel anyway, but Ward has nothing about him to be put alongside these names. Maybe his story will be best told by future generations, I don't know, his rogue antics have happened away from the speedway track. Mentioning a killer is a low remark, as Carter did more for the sport on the track... and Lee made his bad-boy name partly for his antics on a speedway track.

Ward, apart from a few wheelies here and there, what else is there about him. His interviews are as bad as watching paint grow, and he has no personality, but that's just my opinion.

Ward's misgivings have nothing to do with speedway. The names I list all have stories about them that happened on speedway tracks.

Garry Middleton, the story of him having a gun at a speedway track and what the papers would make of that, well, at least they would be interested.... just as many recall the story 40 years since it apparently happened. We have no story makers in speedway - apart from Craig Cook and Ben Barker recently - that help the sport build up interest - even amongst its own faithful.

In 1991, when Michael Lee made a return to speedway after six years out, the interest it created.

Often Halifax, led by Kenny Carter, were poor visitors to Belle Vue, hammered by 30 points on most occasions. But I stumped up my admission fee, knowing there was always something likely to happen when he was in town.

Most of today's speedway stars compare to Cliff Richard... sometimes fans wish to see characters similar to Mario Balotellii.

What a great post Moxey,i get the impression a few of the people who are damning of him didn't even see him ride at his best.Ward for me has made a few mistakes SO WHAT still a great speedway rider that's what I judge him on.Again you are so right about Carter he was box office worth the admission money just to see him ride.These people are not infallible they make mistakes they are not robots.

Add to that Gary Middleton getting in the papers for waving a gun around in the pits.Just the sort of "characters" speedway needs.

He did put a few on the gates Addio (ie) at his best was a very good rider i don't think the promoters worried to much there is always a place for the so called bad guy.
  • Like 1

Maybe I am not upto speed... but was Darcy found guilty of anything he was suspected of?

Maybe I am not upto speed...

Unlike Lee
  • Like 2