British Speedway Forum
martin_t

Oh Dear, Lee Guilty Of Drug Possession

Something along the lines I have been thinking. I have never touched drugs, gave up smoking in about 1969, and have about two cans of beer in a year. But I was once very heavy on drinking and also smoked a lot. I gave them up for medical reasons. Perhaps that's why some poster think I am "an old misery guts"! :lol:

You and I must be very similar gustix - I have never drank much, just the odd 'Single Malt'. I was a Forty a day man on the Fags and I too gave up in 1969. I have also, on occasion, been called the Victor Meldrew of this Forum.

Scary eh??? :) :)

........sidney......It has disappointed me that some have put the boot in and that is so easy to do but some of those people need to take a look in the mirror and honestly say to themselves have i ever made mistakes.?

Why is having an opinion on a forum that differs to some others 'putting the boot in'? I will readily admit to not having much sympathy for the likes of Michael Lee, George Best, Gazza and the various pop stars who have everything but still feel the need to take drugs or repeatedly have too much to drink. Their choice and there's only so many times you can make the same mistakes and expect sympathy.

• Like 1

Why is having an opinion on a forum that differs to some others 'putting the boot in'? I will readily admit to not having much sympathy for the likes of Michael Lee, George Best, Gazza and the various pop stars who have everything but still feel the need to take drugs or repeatedly have too much to drink. Their choice and there's only so many times you can make the same mistakes and expect sympathy.

I totally understand your view Gemini,but my view on it is i think it is no different if it is Joe Bloggs, George Best,Gazza whoever.For me it is a Christian way of thinking try to understand the reason why people do it rather than just give up on them.
  • Like 2

I would like to think the majority?of the speedway fraternity have sympathy for Mike i certainly do.It has disappointed me that some have put the boot in and that is so easy to do but some of those people need to take a look in the mirror and honestly say to themselves have i ever made mistakes.? Did Mike's actions hurt anyone? maybe himself more than anyone and his family but does that make him a bad person NO?.Since his speedway career finished and his last prison sentence i believe he has made great strides in his life ok there has now been a hiccup.But people who have been through a hurtful split with someone would understand why it happened my wish is that most of the speedway circle give him support and allow him to do what he does best being involved in speedway again.I can totally understand why people would say he has had anough chances and i respect that point of view. But my take is for (ex) my kids i would always support them even if it was there 50th chance mistake) this offence really is so trivial not right i know but trivial and hopefully people will move on to another victim because they're always is one.

Well said Sidney. I endorse much of what you say. The penalty has been paid my Michael Lee - he knows he did wrong and I am certain that he regrets it. To forgive is a wonderful thing - that's what Michael Lee's critics need to do. :approve:

I totally understand your view Gemini,but my view on it is i think it is no different if it is Joe Bloggs, George Best,Gazza whoever.For me it is a Christian way of thinking try to understand the reason why people do it rather than just give up on them.

Well said Sidney - one of the nicest and kindest Posts I have ever seen on here.

I would just like to say that I have learned a lesson from you today - and - I thank you for that.

There is remorse in what Michael Lee says about his drugs offence..

Of course there is..........he's lost his promoters' licence !! :o

• Like 1

Of course there is..........he's lost his promoters' licence !! :o

That's rather harsh of the BSPA. The offence would appear to have happened outside the speedway season and no where need a speedway.

During the close season a leading rider was involved in misdemeanours in his homeland yet no BSPA action there!

Edited by Guest

That's rather harsh of the BSPA.

That's clearly your opinion.

And just for the record, why do you feel the need to type everything in bold.......do you feel it adds something to your argument?

• Like 1

That's rather harsh of the BSPA. The offence would appear to have happened outside the speedway season and no where need a speedway.

During the close season a leading rider was involved in misdemeanours in his homeland yet no BSPA action there!

Why is it harsh ? even the BSPA can't have a serial drug offended to run a speedway club
  • Like 1

Why is it harsh ? even the BSPA can't have a serial drug offended to run a speedway club

So was this any worse than Darcy? or have you forgotten? again i supported Darcy on that issue.Whoever it was i would give support to it was a human error EVERYBODY makes them even you.It is easier to punish somebody rather than trying to address a problem,and finding out why they did it by doing that you might even stop someone else making the same mistake in the future.
  • Like 1

That's clearly your opinion.

And just for the record, why do you feel the need to type everything in bold.......do you feel it adds something to your argument?

The use of bold type - because I think it looks neater and better, not for emphasis.

The use of bold type - because I think it looks neater and better, not for emphasis.

Which brings us back to opinions I guess :/

Which brings us back to opinions I guess :/

Well, isn't that what forums are for? The exchange of opinions so that in time a consensus will be arrived at?

I would like to think the majority?of the speedway fraternity have sympathy for Mike i certainly do.It has disappointed me that some have put the boot in and that is so easy to do but some of those people need to take a look in the mirror and honestly say to themselves have i ever made mistakes.? Did Mike's actions hurt anyone? maybe himself more than anyone and his family but does that make him a bad person NO?.Since his speedway career finished and his last prison sentence i believe he has made great strides in his life ok there has now been a hiccup.But people who have been through a hurtful split with someone would understand why it happened my wish is that most of the speedway circle give him support and allow him to do what he does best being involved in speedway again.I can totally understand why people would say he has had anough chances and i respect that point of view. But my take is for (ex) my kids i would always support them even if it was there 50th chance mistake) this offence really is so trivial not right i know but trivial and hopefully people will move on to another victim because they're always is one.

How on earth can you paint Lee as some sort of victim?

Someone who has been raped is a victim, someone who has been mugged is a victim, someone who has had their house burgled is a victim.

Someone who has chosen to take drugs is most certainly not a victim. So he split up with his bird, big deal it happens to loads of people every day.

• Like 2

So was this any worse than Darcy? or have you forgotten? again i supported Darcy on that issue.Whoever it was i would give support to it was a human error EVERYBODY makes them even you.It is easier to punish somebody rather than trying to address a problem,and finding out why they did it by doing that you might even stop someone else making the same mistake in the future.

Why is the onus on the BSPA to address Lee's drug problem and finding out why he did it? There's plenty of channels he can go down to do that for himself - it's not as if he hasn't had the opportunity in the past. Oh, and it's no mistake. He deliberately smokes and, according to his brief, takes an amphetamine or two to counteract the pot so he can keep working on other riders' engines.

• Like 2