British Speedway Forum
keepturningleft

Speedway Mail

I used to love SM back in the late 70.s early 80's, I'd buy it at owlerton and read it in bed when I got home only to get done off my mum for getting print all over the bedding...good times.

Very interesting articles about the speedway Mail mag in the last 2 issues - now how about bring them all out in PDF format on CD Rom!!?

Didn't it go bust through lack or readers, some of whom through the progress of time are no longer with us! So not sure if there are going to be enough people around to cover the cost of doing so.

Got to admit i used to love the Speedway Mail and found it less establishment than the Speedway Star at the time. I loved both of the magazines.

Edited by manchesterpaul

Didn't it go bust through lack or readers, some of whom through the progress of time are no longer with us! So not sure if there are going to be enough people around to cover the cost of doing so.

Got to admit i used to love the Speedway Mail and found it less establishment than the Speedway Star at the time. I loved both of the magazines.

Tony - would it not be possible to put a Facsimile Copy of the Speedway Mail out with the BackTrack Magazine itself. I, for one, would be prepared to pay a bit extra for that.

Maybe it isn't possible, or maybe it would be too expensive to do on a Bi Monthly basis. It WOULD be great to read them again though.

Hope you don't mind me asking though.

Much as I love to reminisce and get all nostalgic about Speedway Mail, it really has had its day and we should leave it to rest in peace.

Given the state of British speedway, there is no way in the world that a good quality weekly publication could survive in today's economic climate alongside Speedway Star.

As for inserting copies of old issues or offering PDF versions online, the time, effort and cost involved couldn't be justified business-wise and, for us anyway, would be better spent elsewhere.

For those who really do want to re-read old copies of the Mail, eBay is probably the best route.

Besides, Alex Alexander (SMI's last editor/owner), tells me that he owns the copyright to Speedway Mail, so a re-launch in any guise would be down to him. And I don't think he's quite that mad!

Edited by tmc

Much as I love to reminisce and get all nostalgic about Speedway Mail, it really has had its day and we should leave it to rest in peace.

Given the state of British speedway, there is no way in the world that a good quality weekly publication could survive in today's economic climate alongside Speedway Star.

As for inserting copies of old issues or offering PDF versions online, the time, effort and cost involved couldn't be justified business-wise and, for us anyway, would be better spent elsewhere.

For those who really do want to re-read old copies of the Mail, eBay is probably the best route.

Besides, Alex Alexander (SMI's last editor/owner), tells me that he owns the copyright to Speedway Mail, so a re-launch in any guise would be down to him. And I don't think he's quite that mad!

Thanks for the Reply Tony. I hope you didn't mind me asking. :) :)

I used to be a regular reader of the Speedway Mail and often if you read both the Star and the Mail you could build a more balanced view on many of the Sports topics.

I just wondered in todays climate of e-publishing would it not be feasible to have an online only version of the magazine that could be available from various app stores etc.

Just a thought.

• Like 1