British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CardinalSin

Ipswich Vs Berwick Thursday August 1st 7.30pm

Strange meeting last night, but i think that might be a case of sitting in the "big stand" as usual place was a building site! Seemed a totally different place from up there. What a shocker the ref had though, Can't see how he/she managed to exclude Tungate in heat 3 and not Ellis for exactly the same thing! Then not to see Smith rolling a couple of times and then to top it off exclude Ashworth for knocking off Lanham! Had to ask Jules about the last one as couldn't hear the PA from the gods!

As for the track.... well it was the same for both sides and to not get dust from a track with the weather we had was amazing. Personally would like to see the rakers stop raking the dirt back going into both corners, just creates rumble strips!

Also nice to see Ellis going so well, had a couple of scary moments in heat 2 and good to see the reserves swapped in 7 and 8.

• Like 1

Some strange decisions tonight unless they have changed the rules. Heat 2 surely Barrett wasn't racing for 3 and half laps so shouldn't have got a point, Adam was still racing even though 3 quarters a lap ahead of third and nearly binned a few times. Ellis gos through the fence after finding too much grip the same as roh an did, but this time Ricky excluded for doing nothing although it should have been Adam. And doesn't anyone else see that the tapes in the middle go up much slower because they are so slack. It looks like the rider on the inside keeps making jump starts but most of the time they are not. And then when jump starts are clearly made, they are very rarely pulled back. As someone else has pointed out track far to grippy early on, it really made some riders look terrible, not a great advert for our track which has been great most of the season, hope it doesn't put the Berwick fans from bringing some great travelling support on their next visit.

The tapes have been doing it for a little while, if you look the posts that hold the tapes up lean in towards each other, it seems they've moved from however they're secured and the tapes are pulling them together creating some slack in the middle - looks like they need some wedges placed so the posts go more outward/upright to tighten the elastic.

The track looked very deep and heavy as I mentioned in my texts to the Updates site, obviously with a hot dry day it had to be watered heavily, it then seems that with little breeze in the air the track didn't dry out as much as hoped?

I also said to the people I go with about heat two, only two riders were "racing" - the Ipswich pair.

The only thing I can think of for the exclusion of Ashworth was that Ellis went down as a result of first bend bunching and the ref would of allowed all four back, but after Ashworth knocked Lanham off decided he should of been excluded for that action?

It's all I can come up with as we were all as confused as the next person on the terraces, and as I reported last night - the Berwick fans were rightfully unhappy with the decision, certainly seemed a strange one to me. I'd like to hear the ref's explanation for it.

Don't you buy a program beerhut? It was Darren Hartley, think it is the first time he's been to Foxhall but could be wrong!

Concerning the starting gate, that has been like it for the past few seasons, often see the start line staff bashing wedges into the holes that the posts sit in. I think its about time they re-cast the holes so that they fit better and keep the post more upright. Maybe a job for the winter.

• Like 1