British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Latvian Gp Saturday 17th August

Photo`s from Daugavpils http://www.sportowef...rand-prix-lotwy

Do we have a favourite ??

Such disgustingly sexist postings have no place on a family forum. Yours Sincerely. Mrs Mary Whitehouse. National Viewers and Listeners Association.

P.S. That young Tai Woffinden has lovely pecs and certainly sets my old female pulse a'racing. Mary.

Such disgustingly sexist postings have no place on a family forum. Yours Sincerely. Mrs Mary Whitehouse. National Viewers and Listeners Association.

P.S. That young Tai Woffinden has lovely pecs and certainly sets my old female pulse a'racing. Mary.

I wholeheartedly agree with you Mary, it's nothing short of a disgrace. My main concern is that there may be even more provocative pictures of those poor exploited women, rest assured I'll find them if they are out there. This sort of thing needs stamping on!

In the meantime, do you have a link to the ones they use in the European Championship, I need them for my investigation :neutral:

• Like 1

very very talented i agree but.....

Michael Lee

Mark Loram

Jan O Pedersen

Tony Rickardsson

are 4 i would say were more natural or on a par with Ward.

Can Darcy emulate those 4 and be a world champion?

Or is he destined to be like a Kelly Moran? All the natural ability in the world 4th on his debut world final but due partly to his poor attitude never achieved what he should have.

I would agree with all of them, not so sure about Jan O but at his best he could put it up to Nielsen.Kelly what a talent he was just shows you all good riders can still get injured ,he had a nasty one the first year he came over but he had great balance style and he had nice personalatity.

I would agree with all of them, not so sure about Jan O but at his best he could put it up to Nielsen.Kelly what a talent he was just shows you all good riders can still get injured ,he had a nasty one the first year he came over but he had great balance style and he had nice personalatity.

there is a race on you tube somewhere of Jan o passing 7 riders in vojens gold bar meeting is something to behold and they were world class riders to

yes i would say Jan O Pedersen is one of the most naturally talented riders i have ever seen and probably the greatest i have seen from the back in my era - i only saw Peter Collins from 1978 - but Jan O was possibly the worst gater for a real top level rider i have seen but definitely the best overtaker, amd always in control...

i do love watching Ward though, but he does leave your heart in your mouth at times, but definitely a world champion in the making and a far better rider than Holder in my opinion

Jan O was possibly the worst gater for a real top level rider i have seen but definitely the best overtaker, amd always in control...

The number of injuries he had would possibly suggest otherwise... :blink:

DON'T think he had that many injuries before the one that ended his career

Simply bizarre!

From memory I believe he qualified for both the 1989 AND 1990 World Finals only to suffer broken bones in his arm(s) just days before the finals and was forced withdraw from appearing at both Munich and Odsal..

Injuries, and right at the wrong time, were quite a feature of JanO's career and certainly a big reason why he was a one-time only winner.

Edited by Grand Central

THAT'S the trouble with getting old and a fading memory...

Yes, I'm always being told be sympathetic to the elderly!

Jan O is just one of those people for whom the mention of his name always seems to remind one of the awful 'luck' he suffered

And how differently his career may be viewed today but for those injuries.

He is all-too often viewed as a on-time-charlie when nothing could be further from the truth.

He had that unexpectedly strong World Final debut in 1985, second in 1986, so-so in 1987 and third after a run-off for the title in 1988.

His title win in 1991 would look so much less isolated if, in 1989 and 1990, he had been allowed to perform at the finals for which had qualified.

We could be remembering a two or three time champion and at the very least a man who could have had rostrum appearences five times.

And perhaps so much more in the subsequent years.

Except, of course, for injuries.

The 1990 injury was a go karting accident, so nothing to do with his speedway ability. i always thought gundersen and knudsen equally naturally talented - and certainly tommys career was blighted with injury, Erik i don't recall having many at all until that tragic day at Odual.

Edited by waihekeaces1

I CAN at least remember that Jan O also had to contend with some pretty useful fellow countrymen at that time...

Yes, in general true,

But he had already done the hard part of qualifying for the finals in 1989 and 1990 via the Nordic route

And Danes were actually not that plentiful in the those particular Finals.

Realistically a fully fit JanO may well have had to settle for a Silver medal behind Hans at Munich.

But at Odsal, of course, Hans was the lone Dane when JanO pulled out.

Good final though it was most of the field was fairly beatable by someone with a little extra.

Whether JanO would have had that without the off-track injury, who knows?

The 1990 injury was a go karting accident, so nothing to do with his speedway ability. i always thought gundersen and knudsen equally naturally talented - and certainly tommys career was blighted with injury, Erik i don't recall having many at all until that tragic day at Odual.

Yes, that's true.

Edited by Grand Central

Yes, I'm always being told be sympathetic to the elderly!

Jan O is just one of those people for whom the mention of his name always seems to remind one of the awful 'luck' he suffered

And how differently his career may be viewed today but for those injuries.

He is all-too often viewed as a on-time-charlie when nothing could be further from the truth.

He had that unexpectedly strong World Final debut in 1985, second in 1986, so-so in 1987 and third after a run-off for the title in 1988.

His title win in 1991 would look so much less isolated if, in 1989 and 1990, he had been allowed to perform at the finals for which had qualified.

We could be remembering a two or three time champion and at the very least a man who could have had rostrum appearences five times.

And perhaps so much more in the subsequent years.

Except, of course, for injuries.

excellent post, but to be pedantic his mid table finish in 85 was about as expected given a favourable draw and presence of 5 continental riders. and in 88 he wasn't involved in the run off for the title. i think he is pretty well regarded on here at least - i ve seen people rate him ahead of nicki when talking about great danes . would u rank him above or below sudden Sam who also had injury problems a title and multiple rostrum spots? - personally id rank him fractionally higher.