British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Latvian Gp Saturday 17th August

Good GP. Cracking races. Worthy winner, Darcy the most exciting and tai leading. Doesn't get much better. Tai better win it this year though as a fit Darcy would likely have won it this time around.

The oldest guy in the GP certainly knows how to gate.

The young guns should study the video of the meeting and learn a few things.

Good GP. Cracking races. Worthy winner, Darcy the most exciting and tai leading. Doesn't get much better. Tai better win it this year though as a fit Darcy would likely have won it this time around.

Steve, Ward would've been up there, no doubt. However his fall at Ullevi was his own doing. He's acknowledged he was over riding in the lead up to that crash and says he has learnt his lesson (although you'd never believe it watching THAT final!).

My point is, Tai has taken risks, but he has also used his head this year (take the race SCB mentioned earlier). I have no doubt Darcy will be World Champion in the future, but if Tai wins the WC this season, it's unfair to suggest Darcy would have been the 'real' winner, barring injuries. 

One of my favourite sportsmen, James Hunt (what a character!) won the F1 World Championship, when arguably Lauda was the better driver. At the end of the day, Hunt did everything he needed to win the title. Who is to say if Lauda hadn't crashed at the Nürburgring, Hunt wouldn't have taken more risks in the lead up to his win?

At the end of the day it's points at the end of the year that matter, good on Tai if he wins.

JT.

• Like 3

Enjoyed the meeting, well done Herbi winning the meeting and Tai now in top position.

Right up there as one of the most enjoyable Gp's for a long time.

Nah it was decent but not more. A few good heats but way too much loose top surface and a bit to dry.

I've seen better this year but there have also been worse GPs.

• Like 1

Everyone to their own. I thought Bydgoszcz was by far the best this season. But there you go "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Regards. Alan.

Not making sense - do you really think he would have had any instruction from Pete Adams other than to ensure that he finished behind Pedersen, that was the important thing, points were not paramount at that time, the chance to put Emil out of the meeting was. That's why he looked for him, that's why he let him past, that's why he poodled around in 3rd place. Which part of that makes no sense?

Did they not say in the commentary that Adams wasn't with him at this GP?

As for "points were not paramount at that time"...Have you completely missed the way that the GP series standings are decided? Every single point counts. Yes, ensuring that Emil didn't have a chance to score more points on the night was important, but scoring less points yourself when it isn't required is just as important, if not more important.

Edited by HenryW

well done hancock

Edited by marky

thought Nigel and Kelvin's commentary in the final was their best this season

Did they not say in the commentary that Adams wasn't with him at this GP?

As for "points were not paramount at that time"...Have you completely missed the way that the GP series standings are decided? Every single point counts. Yes, ensuring that Emil didn't have a chance to score more points on the night was important, but scoring less points yourself when it isn't required is just as important, if not more important.

Calm down Henry, have you completely missed the meaning of the word 'paramount'? I never said points weren't important, I said it was more important (perhaps paramount) to ensure Emil was out of the meeting, which is exactly what happened.

If Adams wasn't there then fair enough, I never heard that said and assumed he would be in attendance, like previous GP's.

We can all bring in an 'if' mate and it was a decent GP and Darcy did do well but he only got in the final due to a cock up by Lebedevs so lets not get too carried away. He did not look too exciting when Lebedev passed him in the semi :)

Lot's of riders who probably would have won something suffer injuries at critical moments it's part of speedway.

Ward might have had a couple of poor meetings if he did not get injured and be well behind Woffy and Emil.

He might not have. We will never know. His recent league form has been poor but that does not mean he is not one of the top prospects to win a world title. Just like Emil and one of the biggest surprises of 2013 Tai Woffinden.

Of course you want to bull up your man. I like Emil but Woffy is the one in the driving seat. He had his own injury problems as did the Russian.

Whichever of the two ends up champion deserves it thouroughly and 'likely'would be champion even if Wardy had been fit.

You will look a fool if you peddle 'Ward would have won if he was fit' as an argument.

• Like 1