British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bryn

Undera

Anyone got details from last night's meeting?

Guest Sir Lunchalot

No sorry Bryn !!

I couldn't go due to a family commitment and I even posted in advance on the yahoo Oz board that I wasn't going hoping some kind soul would at least post 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

So far zero !! I'll try catching up with Kayla on msn during the week if I can, hopefully she will have attended the meeting.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Thanks for that Sliderman.

I'm in Melbourne and it was overcast but no rain on Saturday other than one five minute shower but we must have got the luck of the draw and the rain fell north of the divide. I just checked out the weather bureau website and it looks like the timing was awful, at Shepparton (20kms from Undera) they had no rain before 6pm, in the four hours to 10 pm they had 3.4 mm, then none after that.

Not much rain at all really but if it was showers and kept coming at exactly the wrong time and they weren't sure how long it would last then it doesn't have to be much I guess.

Phew! Rain in Oz??? Glad I'm back in Blighty then where I'm basking in a temperature of 30degs celcius - wll that's what the central heating is set at! :rolleyes:

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Just for Bryn to prove it rains in Oz.

From the Undera local newspaper website (Shepparton News)

< Rain forces club to abandon meeting

By Eliza Sewell

February 23 2004

Shepparton News

The bad run of luck continued for Undera Speedway on Saturday night when the second solo and side-car event for the season was cancelled due to wet weather.

Undera Speedway would have been more suitable for mud wrestling than bike racing as a less-than-profitable crowd braved the conditions but never saw a race.

"We had a full card of riders and they were all ready to go, but the track wouldn't have been safe," Goulburn Valley Motorcycle Club president Keith Anderson said.

The club's first event of the season was cancelled in December of last year, and now Saturday's cancellation makes it two for a season of only five events.

"Out of the five we've had scheduled, we've raced three," Anderson said.

"It's not a very good strike rate."

But Anderson said an executive meeting would be held on Tuesday night and the races would be rescheduled.

Anderson and the club waited until the very last minute to cancel the event, but he said it was the responsible thing to do.

"We held off for three-quarters of an hour to see if the weather cleared," Anderson said.

"Then at 6.30 pm we knew it couldn't go ahead."

Anderson said sponsors had a lot to do with the decision.

"To be fair to Europcar and our other sponsors, we couldn't go ahead with racing," he said.

"Calling it off when we did, we lost our advertising costs; if we had have fired the bikes up, we would have lost $4000."

The club has found solace in rescheduling the event, which Anderson said would draw a better field and more spectators.

"It's probably a bonus, because now we can get Cleavey (Andrew Cleave) and a few others to ride too," he said." >

Is the local paper always this interesting, Lunchy?

When I'm in Oz I read the Australian, Sydney Morning Herald and Brisbane Courier. Sometimes I get to read the Melbourne Age as well. What I hadn't really appreciated is just how much is going on in places like Undera, given that the report of a meeting being rained off appears to have been limited to less than a full page!

I guess Undera really buzzes on a Saturday night, eh? I say that advisedly, as one who has visited (and survived) both Townsville and Rockhampton.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

It's a typical country paper Ian !!

The other articles that caught my eye were "Singers car scratched" and "Smash and grab thieves take bike"

I can give you the website address if you feel in desperate need :D