British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
garygunson

Torun Gp 2013

Maybe have a look at wizzair to Poznan? Little bit further afield but only £50 each way when we booked and a train ride direct to Torun...

Budget airline fares tend to get more expensive as the plane gets shorter on available seats. As TravelPlus tours would know there requirement, and the GP date the moment it is announced if not sooner, they would book on day 1 to obtain cheapest fares.

The GP series was announced in October but Phil booked his flights in April when lights were surely not empty. Costs are not relevant and the list includes reserved seating, a text, a credit card charge and a checked bag which could easily be stripped away. Travel Plus only allow hand baggage.

As for the hotel cost in September it is only a guide but shows how cheap accommodation in Poland can be.

Travel Plus tours are not a charity so they have every right to make a profit. My point is that you can book the same trip yourself for a fraction of the cost. Only lazy people or those with money to burn would go with a tour company.

LAZY or money to burn ... rather insulting to those who choose to go with a tour company. You might just as well say that those who go out for dinner are too lazy to cook and have money to burn.

• Like 1

LAZY or money to burn ... rather insulting to those who choose to go with a tour company. You might just as well say that those who go out for dinner are too lazy to cook and have money to burn.

No insult intended but anyone can do the maths so no point going over old ground. Well not until they offer late availability hotel rooms in Cardiff at inflated rates and market them as if they are doing everyone a favour. That's like buying a fillet steak at £5 and selling it to a diner for £10.

Only lazy people or those with money to burn would go with a tour company.

What gives you the right to be so judgemental? I've done it both ways; I've made all my own arrangements, and travelled independently, and successfully, but I've also made several trips with Travel Plus over the years. I've always found their tours to be hugely enjoyable, professionally organised and excellent value for money. James and his crew are the best in the business, and they take care of all the hassle.

James and his crew are the best in the business, and they take care of all the hassle.

They're the only ones in the business aren't they? :blink:

No insult intended but anyone can do the maths so no point going over old ground. Well not until they offer late availability hotel rooms in Cardiff at inflated rates and market them as if they are doing everyone a favour. That's like buying a fillet steak at £5 and selling it to a diner for £10.

or selling GP stadium tickets over the face value price .

What gives you the right to be so judgemental? I've done it both ways; I've made all my own arrangements, and travelled independently, and successfully, but I've also made several trips with Travel Plus over the years. I've always found their tours to be hugely enjoyable, professionally organised and excellent value for money. James and his crew are the best in the business, and they take care of all the hassle.

I'm entitled to an opinion. It is a forum for polite free speech.

I'm not suggesting TP Tours are anything but true pro's and have said they are not a charity and are entitled to make a profit as its a business.

Its up to you how you travel.

But I fail to understand why anyone would pay for a TP tour that they can arrange easily in person for a fraction of the cost.

How much hassle is it to book flight, hotel and ticket ? If you want to employ TP tours then pay your large subsidy for them to make a few clicks on a website or to pick up a phone on your behalf.

But I fail to understand why anyone would pay for a TP tour that they can arrange easily in person for a fraction of the cost.

It's the wider issue of why use a travel agent for anything, and of course people increasingly don't which is why they've virtually all disappeared from the high street.

It's the wider issue of why use a travel agent for anything, and of course people increasingly don't which is why they've virtually all disappeared from the high street.

AND being replaced by tour operators who do their business over the telephone ... as do TravcelPlus

AND being replaced by tour operators who do their business over the telephone ... as do TravcelPlus

The telephone? How quaint ;-)

The telephone? How quaint ;-)

THE wife of one of the guys who works for PInegen has spent all her working life in the travel business. She used to operate from a High Street office. Now she works from home for a major travel company. No office costs for the parent company, no rates, fewer overheads, etc, etc. It ain't just quaint, it makes economic sense.

And, Marky, TP do far more than just make a few clicks and pick up a phone on your behalf ... their tours are meticulously planned months ahead, hotels visited and vetted, internal travel arrangements put in place, a complete itinerary pieced together. Why knock it?

You obviously prefer to do your own thing. Fine. Others like to have the work done for them, to have the peace of mind that goes with it. Why the criticism?

Anyway, time to put this one to bed. Each to his own...

And, Marky, TP do far more than just make a few clicks and pick up a phone on your behalf ... their tours are meticulously planned months ahead, hotels visited and vetted, internal travel arrangements put in place, a complete itinerary pieced together. Why knock it?

I've not criticised the company as I'm sure it is very well run. I'm simply pointing out that ANYONE can book the same holiday far cheaper by doing it themselves. As Humphrey says the travel agent is disappearing. Time to put this one to bed I agree.

She used to operate from a High Street office. Now she works from home for a major travel company. No office costs for the parent company, no rates, fewer overheads, etc, etc.

Even cheaper if it's done through a website, then minimal staff needed for taking calls. From my own perspective, I find it far more efficient to look for what I want online, rather than have to spend ages going over details on the phone. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did that - must have been more than 10 years ago.

Group of us flying out Stansted - Poznan on the Fri and back from Warsaw on Monday pm. Flights for these dates were as low as £60 last week. Will use the train to travel between these 3 great cities, total train ticket cost under £20.

Edited by Wadey