British Speedway Forum
Chadster

'bumper Crowds'

.....is a phrase that's been in Speedway Star match reports a few times in recent weeks. Given the general level of gloom and despondency on the forum, I was surprised to read these comments. Are crowd levels recovering? Can it be linked to promotional activity (e.g. lowered admission at Birmingham) or is it a response to the first decent summer in years.

In a word, no.

There are bumper for this season. For example, Swindon's crowd at home to Wolves was bumper (over 1,500), compared to the crowds at the start of the season (less than 1,000), but still well down on crowds from just three or four seasons ago (regularly over 2,000).

.....is a phrase that's been in Speedway Star match reports a few times in recent weeks. Given the general level of gloom and despondency on the forum, I was surprised to read these comments. Are crowd levels recovering? Can it be linked to promotional activity (e.g. lowered admission at Birmingham) or is it a response to the first decent summer in years.

In a word, no.

There are bumper for this season. For example, Swindon's crowd at home to Wolves was bumper (over 1,500), compared to the crowds at the start of the season (less than 1,000), but still well down on crowds from just three or four seasons ago (regularly over 2,000).

And to think that when New Cross closed (for the first time in 1953) it was because of poor attendances - I recall a figure of 7,000! :lol:

Edited by Guest

Coventry have had some great attendances (close to 3000) against Poole. Packed against Birmingham and recently against wolves

Coventry have had some great attendances (close to 3000) against Poole. Packed against Birmingham and recently against wolves

3000 at Coventry. Geez where have they all come from. Crowds were dire there in recent years weren't they

Must the brilliant entrepreneurship of Mick Horton !!

3000 at Coventry. Geez where have they all come from. Crowds were dire there in recent years weren't they

That was the 1953 size of the crowds at Liverpool when they decided to close. As mentioned previously, that same season at New Cross 7,000 wasn't enough.

Although he has his faults, I cant knock Horton for his promoting of the sport which he has done very well.

This includes:

Adverts before films at cinema

Trips in to schools

Partnerships with telegraph

Promotion stands wherever poss: theatre, fairs, cov Blaze.

Seems to be working. Add to that the lovely weather & the fact there has been so great racing at home.

Hopefully it will continue

SOME decent weather obviously helps ...

Agreed. Coupled with a regular fixture list, rather than one week on, two weeks off, which seemed to be the norm at the beginning of the season.

Crowds have been decent this season considering the season we have had. I would say crowds are usually around the 2,000 mark but the Poole match was 3,000+. As mentioned above Horton has done a lot to promote the club and the advert before movies at the cinema is a brilliant idea. We just have to get a decent team together for 2014!

• Like 2

Crowds have been decent this season considering the season we have had. I would say crowds are usually around the 2,000 mark but the Poole match was 3,000+. As mentioned above Horton has done a lot to promote the club and the advert before movies at the cinema is a brilliant idea. We just have to get a decent team together for 2014!

Gone are the days of having to park on the main A428 Rugby Rd

I dont know where all the fans have gone from Worky, wehn the track re opened in 1999-to about 2003 the crowds were between 1500 and 2000....now a good crowd is 1000 but usually about 5-600. :(