British Speedway Forum
Chadster

'bumper Crowds'

Sadly, as I read all the previous messages in attendances with references to season-on-season I get the impression that in each there is a decline? Or am I wrong.

In the mid-1950s I used to regularly visit the Southern Area League tracks at California (near Wokingham), Rye House and Eastbourne and these used to average about 2,500-3,000 for what was primarily "training track junior racing." :lol:

Coventry have had some great attendances (close to 3000) against Poole. Packed against Birmingham and recently against wolves

Must have been some promotional offer going on at the ice-cream van on the fourth turn. Such an interest is rare at modern-day speedway.

Can't believe a crowd of 3,000 at Coventry speedway, not during matches I've watched.

And we slag off Poole for fiddling with numbers.

Edited by moxey63

Must have been some promotional offer going on at the ice-cream van on the fourth turn. Such an interest is rare at modern-day speedway.

Can't believe a crowd of 3,000 at Coventry speedway, not during matches I've watched.

And we slag off Poole for fiddling with numbers.

You must not have attended this year if you havent noticed the large attendences

• Like 1

You must not have attended this year if you havent noticed the large attendences

You have to remember that Moxey is a guy who does not go to speedway, watches it on TV only and would not go to his home track at BV, even if they gave him a free pass to get in. Hardly seems like a fan of speedway to me and many others, despite the fact he would have you believe he had the sport at heart. Folks like Moxey and Oldace bring nothing to the table in any discussion on the problems in speedway, both overshadowed by their own agendas.

• Like 6

I'm always shocked to the core when i see the minsicule numbers that qualify as 'bumper' attendances for speedway these days. But in defence of the sport and those who quote the high five figure 'football type' attendances form the olden days, they are not comparable. There were few alternatives for entertainment in those days, certainly within the home. Nowadays most live sports attract less spectators than they used to the world over.

Aside from the Premier League, football attendances are pitiful for those in the leagues below compared to the past, and that's a sport that is ingrained upon our consciousness from the day we are born with extreme media coverage night and day.

Edited by manchesterpaul
  • Like 1

Folks like Moxey and Oldace bring nothing to the table in any discussion on the problems in speedway, both overshadowed by their own agendas.

Oh, the irony !!! :o

• Like 4

Oh, the irony !!! :o

I must admit Kev that by and large I don't respond to him now. Most folk on here see him for the fool he is and he is simply not worth wasting a second of my time on anymore.

He does on occasions though make me smile with (as you point out) the complete irony of his posts. Unfortunately though he is so far up his own arse he cant see it

• Like 3

I'm always shocked to the core when i see the minsicule numbers that qualify as 'bumper' attendances for speedway these days. But in defence of the sport and those who quote the high five figure 'football type' attendances form the olden days, they are not comparable. There were few alternatives for entertainment in those days, certainly within the home. Nowadays most live sports attract less spectators than they used to the world over.

Aside from the Premier League, football attendances are pitiful for those in the leagues below compared to the past, and that's a sport that is ingrained upon our consciousness from the day we are born with extreme media coverage night and day.

Spot on, but unfortunately its a fact of life that the chronic complainers like Moxey63 prefer to ignore because it doesn't suit their argument, or fall in line with their whingeing. Speedway has its problems of course but they will not be solved by turning the clock back in bringing in second halves etc.

The term bumper crowds is really a relative expression. If the average present day attendance is 1000 and a local derby brings in 1500 then that is a relatively bumper crowd even if the crowds were twice that amount 15 years ago. The first question to answer is where have all the crowds gone. If most outdoor sports are, as you correctly point out, struggling with crowds compared to 10-15 years ago then that clearly suggests there are other factors involved, such as x-boxes and computers, that are outside the control of the speedway authorities.

I must admit Kev that by and large I don't respond to him now. Most folk on here see him for the fool he is and he is simply not worth wasting a second of my time on anymore.

He does on occasions though make me smile with (as you point out) the complete irony of his posts. Unfortunately though he is so far up his own arse he cant see it

That's your opinion of Tsunami but your contribution to the topic under discussion the thread is..........?

• Like 2

I was under the impression that all Football attendances (all 4 divisions) were much improved on what they were in the 1980's.

Football crowds recovered from that recession, but Speedway crowds never did.

Spot on, but unfortunately its a fact of life that the chronic complainers like Moxey63 prefer to ignore because it doesn't suit their argument, or fall in line with their whingeing. Speedway has its problems of course but they will not be solved by turning the clock back in bringing in second halves etc.

The term bumper crowds is really a relative expression. If the average present day attendance is 1000 and a local derby brings in 1500 then that is a relatively bumper crowd even if the crowds were twice that amount 15 years ago. The first question to answer is where have all the crowds gone. If most outdoor sports are, as you correctly point out, struggling with crowds compared to 10-15 years ago then that clearly suggests there are other factors involved, such as x-boxes and computers, that are outside the control of the speedway authorities.

That's your opinion of Tsunami but your contribution to the topic under discussion the thread is..........?

I didn't make a contribution but that didn't stop Tsunami dragging me into another of his mindless posts did it

3000 at Coventry. Geez where have they all come from.

Wolverhampton and Birmingham, of course!

Crowds at Foxhall certainly seem to be bigger over the last month or so. The question is whether they will remain when the kids summer holiday promotion stops....

Wolverhampton and Birmingham, of course!

Birmingham are struggling for people to pay to attend at home so most likely not

Lakeside have been getting decent crowds the last couple of months but nothing spectacular i would say but for the first couple of months and the 1st meeting in June when it was on sky the crowds were well down below what would be perceived as average.

No idea of actual numbers but overall the pattern is not good because the drop off when the weather is not good or there is no kids a for quid deal is quite alarming.

I was under the impression that all Football attendances (all 4 divisions) were much improved on what they were in the 1980's.

Football crowds recovered from that recession, but Speedway crowds never did.

It's interesting to see that the record attendances for 80% of League Football Clubs took place for FA Cup matches. Now the lowest gates are for Cup matches All those records gates are for a long time ago. 50 years ago it was not unusual for the old 3rd and 4th division clubs to have gates of 30.000 plus. Now they only get 10% of that. My local non league club used to get 1,000 to 1.200 spectators and for their local derby 1.800 to 2,000 and once the got to the 1st round of the FA Cup with 3,700 watching. Todays gates 70 to 100. and there in no local Derby anymore as the other team has gone. So far less people watch football today than they did in the 1950,s