British Speedway Forum
Chadster

'bumper Crowds'

Yet again it's not so much sky being there but the off race night .

Are Peterborough folk only allowed out on Fridays?

Are Peterborough folk only allowed out on Fridays?

Well of course not but anyone with a clue about speedway would understand that a off night is going bring in less fans .

Well of course not but anyone with a clue about speedway would understand that a off night is going bring in less fans .

Or could be because it's live on TV?

Or could be because it's live on TV?

A mixture of both but the point is still the same that a tv match on a normal race night will have more fans

A mixture of both but the point is still the same that a tv match on a normal race night will have more fans

Will the racing be better as well?

Well not if you are watching it :rofl: :rofl:

Well not if you are watching it :rofl: :rofl:

Some of us a harder to please.

Can understand why SKY are supposedly about to bump us off though, when the racing is dire and the terraces have seen more human activity in the winter months, as you seem to be saying, because fans can't be arsed turning out because it goes against the tradition of their normal racenight.

Bet SKY think speedway fans are a right strange lot, not turning out for a speedway meeting because it's a different night than they are used to. Imagine if football fans were the same, the amount of fixture changes and off days (Saturday 3.00pm) they have. "I'm not going to the City match, it's on a Monday night... I only like Saturday games."

When I used to attend speedway, it didn't bother me what night it was on (my mum used to let me out, even on worknights), I was still there. Not even an off racenight would keep me away.

Only boredom and my level of interest dipping stopped me being there. Thankfully, SKY does a neat thing these days of allowing you to record the action for later and skip the boring parts, you can then just watch the adverts.

Still, bare stadiums because "it's not the normal racenight" is as fine an excuse as any...

Will the last person watching the speedway please turn off the light.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

Bet SKY think speedway fans are a right strange lot, not turning out for a speedway meeting because it's a different night than they are used to. Imagine if football fans were the same, the amount of fixture changes and off days (Saturday 3.00pm) they have. "I'm not going to the City match, it's on a Monday night... I only like Saturday games."

For a so called speedway fan that is yet again another stupid comment ...First of all it's always silly to compare speedway with any other sport (maybe sky think it's funny that speedway fans don't fight with each other like football ) and I would think that you must be the only speedway fan on the whole forum who thinks that a change of race night will not have an effect on crowd figures ..it's just common sense . There again you think coming mid table was vital pre play offs so common sense and logic is something I don't really put you with . Edited by orion
  • Like 1

Why would Sky want a big crowd ? If people are watching at home they are helping the viewing figures and watching the adverts that pay for the meeting. For every person in the crowd that's another person the companies paying for the adverts are not reaching.

So you believe Sky are quite happy to show a product played out in a deserted stadium.Its embarrassing for Sky and its embarrassing for speedway !
  • Like 1

For a so called speedway fan that is yet again another stupid comment ...First of all it's always silly to compare speedway with any other sport (maybe sky think it's funny that speedway fans don't fight with each other like football ) and I would think that you must be the only speedway fan on the whole forum who thinks that a change of race night will not have an effect on crowd figures ..it's just common sense . There again you think coming mid table was vital pre play offs so common sense and logic is something I don't really put you with .

Wrong.... You are proof that speedway fans do want to pick a fight with other speedway fans. You, sir, are a right grouch and will not rest until you feel you are proved right. Like last night's match, you are proving one hell of a bore I can do without, Hopefully you can find some female company sooner rather than later, taking away some of your frustration in the process of anything what you say about speedway is always right and more important than, well, life itself.

Not quite true. Ipswich raced on an off night last Saturday week against Redcar and had probably 50% more people there a normal Thursday meeting. There was also live speedway on TV that night as well.

Let's hope the GP's disappear off TV and British Speedway can get back to mainly weekend fixtures like they always used to. Saturday night's was always great at places like Belle Vue and Coventry..

• Like 1

Yes definitely - if it's on Eurosport. :wink::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 1

If crowds are down because SKY show matches on an off night, what are crowds like when the cameras roll up at Monday nighters Belle Vue and Wolves?

Still think it's a lame excuse for crowds being down when a match is on a different night than usual. In my dy, whether it was Monday night or Tuesday morning, I'd make sure I was there.

Funny how people, perhaps the same ones who'll stay away because it isn't on the normal night, will criticise me for not attending... because the product is totally piddled up.

Wrong.... You are proof that speedway fans do want to pick a fight with other speedway fans. You, sir, are a right grouch and will not rest until you feel you are proved right. Like last night's match, you are proving one hell of a bore I can do without, Hopefully you can find some female company sooner rather than later, taking away some of your frustration in the process of anything what you say about speedway is always right and more important than, well, life itself.

Oh dear name calling when you can't debate anymore ..so childish

So you believe Sky are quite happy to show a product played out in a deserted stadium.Its embarrassing for Sky and its embarrassing for speedway !

No. Like everyone else that can't argue on the facts you put words in peoples mouths instead of reading what is actually said. Sky have been around speedway long enough to know what the crowds are like and they haven't suddenly decided in the last two weeks that the crowds are not good enough, and they know that crowds drop on non-race nights. Punters going through the turnstiles don't pay Sky's bills. Sky's income obviously comes from advertisers and that in turn is based on the size of the TV audience not the live audience. In fact Sky's payments to the club reflect the fact that crowds drop when the meeting is on TV

A lot of rubbish is talked about attendance figures, usually by people who are not there. Its notoriously difficult to estimate a crowd size and even more difficult when looking at it on TV because the TV camera's don't show all the crowd. At tracks like Wolves it is easy to make it seem like a decent crowd because everyone is in a fairly limited area. If you put the same number of people in somewhere like Coventry or Lakeside it will look a lot less because they are spread out more.