Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Do you know who the new Chair and Vice Chair are going to be?

Sandu and Frost.

If only they could get rid of the Ford factor, it would be a very good starting point. Will it happen though?

With the FIM apparently seeking to fill as many non-GP weekends as possible with other events nowadays, what are the chances of a European team league being introduced? I'm advocating this, or sure of its merits myself, but from the FIM's perspective and as another possible way of generating TV revenue, it would also give top riders a further money-earning outlet and further reduce their need for and interest in the national leagues.

Maybe starting up with 6 teams - say 2 from Poland, 2 Swedish, 1 Danish and 1 British with expansion to 8 teams in year 2. The clubs/teams would effectively become franchises. I could see this being of potential interest to a club such as Poole - who would also have the possibility of running a team in whatever UK league/s are operating - only with a different actual team of riders. (and for the more paranoid out there - this is not "Poole -bashing" !).

Disadvantages - would further reduce the number of top riders taking part in the UK league/s, but on the other hand it looks as if those guys won't be around in the mainstream UK leagues anyway, so at least it would maintain some UK connection. It would mean the UK league/s would defintely become a case of taking the crumbs from the top table, but, again, isn;t it going that way in any case?

It could also be used as a way of riders qualifying for the following season's vacant GP places by way of rider averages, to replace the current circus of qualifying.

Amendment to previus post - such have read "I'm not advocating this"....!!

The FIM's Armando Castagna has stated this is an objective of his - just not sure how high up on the FIM's priority list it is!! Whether it would be a weekend league or on the preferred race day of the competing countries is not certain! I guess it might depend on who gets the TV rights, or whether each home country's chosen broadcaster insist it takes place on a certain day, to suit their other sports coverage and viewing figures?! (NB. I believe Sky's quoted EL viewing figures for midweek speedway were better than Saturday GP figures, when they were doing it!!)

With the FIM apparently seeking to fill as many non-GP weekends as possible with other events nowadays, what are the chances of a European team league being introduced? I'm advocating this, or sure of its merits myself, but from the FIM's perspective and as another possible way of generating TV revenue, it would also give top riders a further money-earning outlet and further reduce their need for and interest in the national leagues.

Maybe starting up with 6 teams - say 2 from Poland, 2 Swedish, 1 Danish and 1 British with expansion to 8 teams in year 2. The clubs/teams would effectively become franchises. I could see this being of potential interest to a club such as Poole - who would also have the possibility of running a team in whatever UK league/s are operating - only with a different actual team of riders. (and for the more paranoid out there - this is not "Poole -bashing" !).

Disadvantages - would further reduce the number of top riders taking part in the UK league/s, but on the other hand it looks as if those guys won't be around in the mainstream UK leagues anyway, so at least it would maintain some UK connection. It would mean the UK league/s would defintely become a case of taking the crumbs from the top table, but, again, isn;t it going that way in any case?

It could also be used as a way of riders qualifying for the following season's vacant GP places by way of rider averages, to replace the current circus of qualifying.

Amendment to previus post - such have read "I'm not advocating this"....!!

Lets do what they did years ago. Let's go our own way. Lets RUN BLACK. Sod the FIM, it's only run by a bunch of egotistical nincompoops who have hardly any interest in speedway but for their own self-inflated ego's. Not forgetting their freebies!

From what I'm hearing about the major restructuring coming over the winter Ford could be in trouble as the prospect of working with him is a sticking point for some PL clubs. Towing the line is not something that comes naturally to him. Apparently the EL clubs have had enough as well.

problem is of course that many of the EL teams need mr fords riders....

say what you want about undue influence on the league and its outcome etc, but one area ford cannot be criticised is how he puts his hand in his pocket and brings over riders who then go on to heat leader standard and end up getting loaned out...

when others are so 'beholding' to you, it does give you a fair old 'lever' when it comes to delicate negotiations about the way the sport will be run....

LETS HAVE MATT FRAUD AS CHAIRPERSON AND RENAME TO CHEAT LEAGUE

Thats such an Inteligent post that.. :neutral:

problem is of course that many of the EL teams need mr fords riders....

say what you want about undue influence on the league and its outcome etc, but one area ford cannot be criticised is how he puts his hand in his pocket and brings over riders who then go on to heat leader standard and end up getting loaned out...

when others are so 'beholding' to you, it does give you a fair old 'lever' when it comes to delicate negotiations about the way the sport will be run....

That's not a problem, just do a deal and announce it on March 1st. The precedent has been set already... :neutral:

We won't be seeing (m)any of the top riders in UK next year, whoever's assets they are. The number of teams financially able to compete at EL level in 2014 is probably about 2 or 3, so we can expect some sort of amalgamated league structure with a lower points limit!! (SteveBrum will once again disagree, but its inevitable!!)

• Like 3

Thats such an Inteligent post that.. :neutral:

And this is such a poorly spelled one. :P