British Speedway Forum

The Elite can afford them and we need the likes of Jepsen Jensen and Nicki Pedersen back in British speedway.

Raise the points limit to 50 and watch the crowds fly in.

• Like 1

it's on the cards!

A ridiculous hand to play if so.

it would be smart , the sooner you get in head that the elite can't afford them , the blow when it does happen wont be so hard

The only blow to me is that i wouldn't go as often or be interested in supporting a PL standard team.

The only blow to me is that i wouldn't go as often or be interested in supporting a PL standard team.

that's all british speedway can afford ,do you think Swindon are the only club in the elite with debts,
  • Like 1

Do you think clubs can keep haemorraging money indefinitely? If the big boys want to keep riding here they need to do it on promoter's terms ie for less money and comitting to ALL fixtures. Otherwise jog on.

Sorry, i wasn't aware you had assess to all the promoters finances, perhaps you can start the solo jog.

Sorry, i wasn't aware you had assess to all the promoters finances, perhaps you can start the solo jog.

jeez talk about bury your head in the sand , your eyes should tell you all you need to know
  • Like 2

You are even more obtuse than I thought if you don't think the vast majority of EL promoters are losing money hand over fist. You are the one on the solo jog, more or less everyone else recognises that cost need to be drastically cut even if Sky stay on board. Not to mention the facts that we need more regular fixtures and riders who are going to be present for all of the fixtures. That last issue will only get worse for the top riders.

• Like 3

jeez talk about bury your head in the sand , your eyes should tell you all you need to know

You are even more obtuse than I thought if you don't think the vast majority of EL promoters are losing money hand over fist. You are the one on the solo jog, more or less everyone else recognises that cost need to be drastically cut even if Sky stay on board. Not to mention the facts that we need more regular fixtures and riders who are going to be present for all of the fixtures. That last issue will only get worse for the top riders.

Where have i said that promoters AREN'T losing money?? It seems apparent that the EL is struggling that virtually everyone can see and i am certainly not blind to it.

My response was simple - by killing off the access to the big boys it will kill support by a further 35%. That isnt me blindly believing that the EL is fine and dandy - it isn't.

Attendance has got lower with every dumbing down of rules and prevention (not encouragement) of the top boys riding here or making it flexible for them to do so.

A co-incidence that attendances in the EL have dropped with every big name dropping the league??

Some of us clearly want the best riders here and there has to be ways to make that happen (more sponsorship, giving SKY more of what they want big hitters - and therefore a bigger chunk of money). It isn't rude or ignorant to say that without those big hitters a lot of fans will be lost to the sport. That is just the way it will be IF radical changes like those being mentioned happen.

That isn't being blind to all that is going on in the sport, not at all , but the changes being suggested (i would imagine by PRO PL supporters no doubt) may just alienate a core of its own fans.

That isn't to say i agree or disagree that the EL has to function on a different form next year, by trying to take the sport here back to grass roots it will cut off some of its supply of supporters.

My opinion that's all.

Where have i said that promoters AREN'T losing money?? It seems apparent that the EL is struggling that virtually everyone can see and i am certainly not blind to it.

My response was simple - by killing off the access to the big boys it will kill support by a further 35%. That isnt me blindly believing that the EL is fine and dandy - it isn't.

Attendance has got lower with every dumbing down of rules and prevention (not encouragement) of the top boys riding here or making it flexible for them to do so.

A co-incidence that attendances in the EL have dropped with every big name dropping the league??

Some of us clearly want the best riders here and there has to be ways to make that happen (more sponsorship, giving SKY more of what they want big hitters - and therefore a bigger chunk of money). It isn't rude or ignorant to say that without those big hitters a lot of fans will be lost to the sport. That is just the way it will be IF radical changes like those being mentioned happen.

That isn't being blind to all that is going on in the sport, not at all , but the changes being suggested (i would imagine by PRO PL supporters no doubt) may just alienate a core of its own fans.

That isn't to say i agree or disagree that the EL has to function on a different form next year, by trying to take the sport here back to grass roots it will cut off some of its supply of supporters.

My opinion that's all.

so where have you plucked the 35% less will go figure from
  • Like 1

so where have you plucked the 35% less will go figure from

Simply splitting the 3 leagues for fairness.

I don't have the actual figures of attendances for each league , if you can get hold of them it might make my fair split look silly.

Simply splitting the 3 leagues for fairness.

I don't have the actual figures of attendances for each league , if you can get hold of them it might make my fair split look silly.

So you're saying you just guessed and passed it off as fact ?

No need for anyone to research figures to make you look silly, you're managing quite well on your own.

• Like 2

My thoughts about the demise of our sport.

Part 1: Sold down the river.

After watching the sad demise of Team GB in the recent SWC, I have spent considerable time, delving into the problems that now bestows our beloved sport, I have concluded that the blame lies firmly in three areas. I feel that the Top Riders and the Promoters (BSPA) have to admit their share of the blame, but, the majority has to be laid firmly at the doors of the FIM. They were the top brass, people who should lead and govern the sport, but they have in effect washed their hands of all their responsibility when they have, in effect, sold the rights of the World Championship to an independent organisation namely BSI/IMG.

Please don’t think I’m knocking BSI, they have taken this opportunity and marketed SGP into a successful brand, one, that generates considerably interest. But given the licence to ‘Cherry-pick’ the cream of the world’s best riders, it’s hardly surprising the success it has gained.

Unfortunately there has been massive repercussions with the bread and butter issues of league racing and the promotion of local speedway presentations. Since the introduction of the SGP, the riders, can now pick and choose where they ride, based purely on the financial rewards and the available schedules. Even though the BSI are an independent body they have this incredible power to totally dictate the sport, by the way, the SGP‘s are actually run. The ‘Cream Riders’ don’t need to ride in League matches anymore, they are assured of a place in the SGP whether they ride or not. This has turned the majority of these riders’ into nothing more, than mercenaries, performing for the biggest wedge. Of cause, there are one or two exceptions but not many…

Geographically, England was always going to be the hardest country hit, as it is far easier for riders to concentrate their earning potential in mainland Europe. The knock-on effect of this is, has reduced the number of class riders competing in our league, which subsequently has lowered the actual standard of racing here. The knock on effect of this means that even the British riders, who compete regularly in our league, still need to race in other countries to home their skills of that of the world status.

But it gets worse. By allowing the BSI to govern the qualification system of the SGP, they organise series of meetings, scattered all over the world, throughout the year, not giving a thought, or caring a damn, to the disruption they create by taking the riders away from their league commitments. What make this white elephant even more annoying is that the majority of these riders won’t ever have a realistic chance of ever qualifying for the SGP’s.

The FIM can change all this so easily. They have to understand the importance of the connection between the bread and butter league racing and that of the World Championship. Their failure to recognise this, has all but destroyed the sport, and if we carry on like this, there will be no cream left for the BSI to cherry-pick.

The ‘Qualification’ to the following year’s SGP has to be achieved by the riders competing in league matches. Let’s imagine, the top 3 riders from each of the leagues of the four main countries, namely, Poland, Denmark, Sweden and England. Those 12 riders would then join the 3 top riders from the previous year’s SGP leaving the opportunity for the organisers, to include a home rider to attract in the local support.

This one rule change would immediately alter the way speedway exists.

It would:

1: Put more importance into all the league matches and the riders would put more emphasis into competing in them, especially ours, knowing the only way to qualify for the SGP was to finish high up in the averages;

2: It would put Promoters in a far stronger bargaining position when negotiating with these class riders; there would be no more of these high ransom fees that are being paid to top riders, this therefore, would create a bigger and better draw for the spectators who would be able to afford to watch.

3: These riders would have to perform every meeting to the best of their ability just to insure their averages was high up the list. It would create far more intensity into league matches, No more of this going through the motions like some riders do. Turning up with sub-standard equipment will be a thing of the past.

4: It would be a much fairer way for all the riders to reach the SGP status. To me it has always been wrong to award qualification on a top ten finish, or to a permanent wild card entry. This is only done so the organisers can dictate their choice of riders.

5: It would totally eliminate the clubs problems with missing riders that incurred when these so called Qualifiers are being held. Riders are usually away for 2 days at least, and have to be replaced with a guest or R/R. Neither of which is satisfactory.

I’m not suggesting BSI should not be involved, far from it. They do a wonderful job of presenting and putting on a good show. There’s no reason why they can’t continue doing the same. Each rider who finishes the season high up, near the top of the averages is a class performer. Therefore the quality of the series wouldn’t necessarily change, purely the structure that identifies their success. The BSI, the Riders, the Promoters, the Spectators, in fact, everyone will know how the system works and who and what can be achieved from one year to the next. This should be set in stone.!!

There is not ONE good reason why this can’t happen. Either the World Championships are run for the benefit of the sport, or run for the benefit of BSI. All it needs is for the right people to take control of the sport. Let the qualification and the organisation be left to the people who should govern. The FIM.

Part 2, More thoughts to follow ……..

• Like 2

My thoughts about the demise of our sport.

Part 1: Sold down the river.

After watching the sad demise of Team GB in the recent SWC, I have spent considerable time, delving into the problems that now bestows our beloved sport, I have concluded that the blame lies firmly in three areas. I feel that the Top Riders and the Promoters (BSPA) have to admit their share of the blame, but, the majority has to be laid firmly at the doors of the FIM. They were the top brass, people who should lead and govern the sport, but they have in effect washed their hands of all their responsibility when they have, in effect, sold the rights of the World Championship to an independent organisation namely BSI/IMG.

Please don’t think I’m knocking BSI, they have taken this opportunity and marketed SGP into a successful brand, one, that generates considerably interest. But given the licence to ‘Cherry-pick’ the cream of the world’s best riders, it’s hardly surprising the success it has gained.

Unfortunately there has been massive repercussions with the bread and butter issues of league racing and the promotion of local speedway presentations. Since the introduction of the SGP, the riders, can now pick and choose where they ride, based purely on the financial rewards and the available schedules. Even though the BSI are an independent body they have this incredible power to totally dictate the sport, by the way, the SGP‘s are actually run. The ‘Cream Riders’ don’t need to ride in League matches anymore, they are assured of a place in the SGP whether they ride or not. This has turned the majority of these riders’ into nothing more, than mercenaries, performing for the biggest wedge. Of cause, there are one or two exceptions but not many…

Geographically, England was always going to be the hardest country hit, as it is far easier for riders to concentrate their earning potential in mainland Europe. The knock-on effect of this is, has reduced the number of class riders competing in our league, which subsequently has lowered the actual standard of racing here. The knock on effect of this means that even the British riders, who compete regularly in our league, still need to race in other countries to home their skills of that of the world status.

But it gets worse. By allowing the BSI to govern the qualification system of the SGP, they organise series of meetings, scattered all over the world, throughout the year, not giving a thought, or caring a damn, to the disruption they create by taking the riders away from their league commitments. What make this white elephant even more annoying is that the majority of these riders won’t ever have a realistic chance of ever qualifying for the SGP’s.

The FIM can change all this so easily. They have to understand the importance of the connection between the bread and butter league racing and that of the World Championship. Their failure to recognise this, has all but destroyed the sport, and if we carry on like this, there will be no cream left for the BSI to cherry-pick.

The ‘Qualification’ to the following year’s SGP has to be achieved by the riders competing in league matches. Let’s imagine, the top 3 riders from each of the leagues of the four main countries, namely, Poland, Denmark, Sweden and England. Those 12 riders would then join the 3 top riders from the previous year’s SGP leaving the opportunity for the organisers, to include a home rider to attract in the local support.

This one rule change would immediately alter the way speedway exists.

It would:

1: Put more importance into all the league matches and the riders would put more emphasis into competing in them, especially ours, knowing the only way to qualify for the SGP was to finish high up in the averages;

2: It would put Promoters in a far stronger bargaining position when negotiating with these class riders; there would be no more of these high ransom fees that are being paid to top riders, this therefore, would create a bigger and better draw for the spectators who would be able to afford to watch.

3: These riders would have to perform every meeting to the best of their ability just to insure their averages was high up the list. It would create far more intensity into league matches, No more of this going through the motions like some riders do. Turning up with sub-standard equipment will be a thing of the past.

4: It would be a much fairer way for all the riders to reach the SGP status. To me it has always been wrong to award qualification on a top ten finish, or to a permanent wild card entry. This is only done so the organisers can dictate their choice of riders.

5: It would totally eliminate the clubs problems with missing riders that incurred when these so called Qualifiers are being held. Riders are usually away for 2 days at least, and have to be replaced with a guest or R/R. Neither of which is satisfactory.

I’m not suggesting BSI should not be involved, far from it. They do a wonderful job of presenting and putting on a good show. There’s no reason why they can’t continue doing the same. Each rider who finishes the season high up, near the top of the averages is a class performer. Therefore the quality of the series wouldn’t necessarily change, purely the structure that identifies their success. The BSI, the Riders, the Promoters, the Spectators, in fact, everyone will know how the system works and who and what can be achieved from one year to the next. This should be set in stone.!!

There is not ONE good reason why this can’t happen. Either the World Championships are run for the benefit of the sport, or run for the benefit of BSI. All it needs is for the right people to take control of the sport. Let the qualification and the organisation be left to the people who should govern. The FIM.

Part 2, More thoughts to follow ……..

Good post GRW123 one of my pet hates is missing riders and RR.

Edited by fish keeper
  • Like 1

Just imagine..................... Woffy gets crowned World Champion at the end of the season and what would be the best way to milk the press attention??

Oh i know lets ridiculously cut the points limit and kick out all the big boys including our BRITISH World Champion.

Smart move that would be. :mad:

I dont think anyone is saying get rid of Tai, as he is British he SHOULD ride in Britain.

The Elite can afford them and we need the likes of Jepsen Jensen and Nicki Pedersen back in British speedway.

Raise the points limit to 50 and watch the crowds fly in.

A brilliant strategy guarenteed to save the sport in 2014 or not as the case may be :)

Sadly if the sport cannot afford these people in 2013 with SKY money as a comfort blanket how will they do it in 2014 without?

The sport is internally bleeding itself to death flying people back and forwards for both EL and PL matches.

It's time to try being insular and spend the cash on British riders and foreigners who commit to the UK leagues and base themselves here.

Of course that will mean the likes of Jensen and Pedsersen and probably yes our own Woffinden will be absent but there is no evidence to suggest these people benefit the sport here compared to the outlay that is spent on them (Woffinden aside for the most obvious of reasons).

Four guys of comparative ability riding hell for leather for four laps. That is speedway and glamourous names don't necessarily make that better. Watching Darcy Ward or Chris Holder half a lap ahead of the PL standard rider that make up the majority of the EL is hardly entertainment. Of course when they don't gate they provide a thrill when passing said PL standard riders.

But the old NL back in the 70s provided shed loads of entertainment and found it's own stars.

Maybe it's time to invest in British talent and develop British speedway. Maybe it's time to promote the sport for the good of all.

The TV experience and the weatlth of benefits it could have brought has been frittered away by fools.

Now the excrement will hit the fan next year when SKY are no longer there with that comfort blanket.

Well balanced teams with UK and UK based riders of equal ability, a decent track and some half decent facilities.

That's all the sport needs as a base to start rebuilding.

Develop our own talent and harness the experience of world champions like Lee, Havalock, Loram and Tatum to help in that development.

Promote the sport as a body rather than as individuals. Of course local promotion of tracks will always be there but spread the word Nationaly together. That's what Association means.

Noun: A group of people organized for a joint purpose.

Will any of that happen? Of course not. Promoters, and the term is used loosely, will try to paper over the cracks, tracks will dissapear, perhaps a new one will emerge and be hailed as justification of the BSPAs genius.

Money will dissapear dragging in everybody elses talent and crowds will drop, prices go up and the same old record will play in 2014 as has been playing for years now.

• Like 1