British Speedway Forum
lionking

Worst Presenters

I liked John! True gent as well! Not bad for a Stock Car guy either.

"So long as we know..."

Thanks - you're quite right - one of the many mistakes I made and I did the same on the commentaries. Happy the presentation and commentary days are well behind me now but what I did was honest and well-intentioned and based on a love of the sport, not money. I did my bit to try to help.

To me the best were Ted Sear and John Earrey. I never had the privilege of meeting John but I worked with Ted and he was a true pleasure to meet. John was fluent, informative and entertaining - a marvellous presenter.

By contrast, the most arrogant and unpleasant individual I ever had the bad luck to meet on the announcing side was Peter York. Even after all these years he seems to pay scant attention to getting names right and I really object to his attempt to commentate over the final lap of races which I would never do over a p.a.

In my own defence, every voice or writing job I performed was because someone asked me to. I never put myself forward once. Thankfully eventually they stopped asking.

I thought you did a terrific job for speedway, screen sport (ect) you were passionate about it and that came through.I actually had one of your commentaries on the other night Hackney vPoole 83 Lee flying nowt wrong with it i wish we could have more of those sort of meetings on now.For a few years i went to Oxford regular, in the Nielsen days York's continuous brand of commentating on the last lap was so annoying everyweek there were moans in amongst the crowd about it.

Think the most annoying presenter I've come across is the new King's Lynn one.He doesn't shut up.He sounds like he should be selling fruit and veg on a market stall,rather than presenting at a speedway meeting.

And he aks us to 'show our appreciation' non-stop throughout the meeting...mix it up a bit fella!

• Like 1

I heard Mike Bennett for the first time earlier this year at KL (MK Testamonial). Clearly he is a very experienced an proficient announcer / broadcaster, and in most ways far better than most.

However its fair to say that there was more than a whiff of Alan Partridge about it all..........................

......rmc......By contrast, the most arrogant and unpleasant individual I ever had the bad luck to meet on the announcing side was Peter York. Even after all these years he seems to pay scant attention to getting names right and I really object to his attempt to commentate over the final lap of races which I would never do over a p.a.

Only spoken to him once when he came over to see the dog so don't know anything about him being unpleasant or arrogant, but agree about commentating on races over the p.a. It wasn't just the last lap at Coventry either he would usually start half way through the race, but luckily I think he's been a bit restricted this season as the promoters have probably realised the fans do not like it. He is so damn annoying though when he butts in and talks over the announcer. :shock:

The guy at Wolverhampton was excellent when I was at the British Final this year, agree with others that the guy at King Lynn is hopeless.

I reckon we've been spoilt at Foxhall. Firstly John Earrey then Kevin Long.

At least they don't have that Foz fellow as much as they did. Stick to the drivetime show!

At least they don't have that Foz fellow as much as they did. Stick to the drivetime show!

I like Kevin Long, never been to Ipswich yet but I have quite a few of the Crashes and Cock up dvds from Rerun and he is a funny guy.

• Like 1

By contrast, the most arrogant and unpleasant individual I ever had the bad luck to meet on the announcing side was Peter York. Even after all these years he seems to pay scant attention to getting names right and I really object to his attempt to commentate over the final lap of races which I would never do over a p.a.

Never met him myself but someone who has told me the same thing.

He has genuinely put me off going to Coventry Speedway.

Best in the game for me.

Agree that Kevin does an excellent job at Foxhall.

When he has been missing a couple of times we have had Craig Saul who IMO was really good also.

Best presenter for us has been Darren Fletcher, from BBC, was very good also enjoyed Rob Godfrey at Scunny the other month.

Worst Peter York and Craig Saul, York just talks genuine crap, and Saul for me cant do anything off the cuff, always reading his clip board, and same dull questions.

Go to Edinburgh and you get hit with , the mighty monarchs , the record breaking monarchs , and recently the incredible monarchs . That and other nausiating back slapping smugness has one reaching for the sick bag . :o

• Like 1

Go to Edinburgh and you get hit with , the mighty monarchs , the record breaking monarchs , and recently the incredible monarchs . That and other nausiating back slapping smugness has one reaching for the sick bag . :o

Just remind them they finished one place behind a Scunthorpe side missing two of its top three in the fours yesterday. ;)

The Edinburgh website is even in denial about it, claiming they finished "joint third". Er no, it was Scunthorpe third and Edinburgh last in the final. :P

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

You should try Shielfield every Saturday, our presentation needs are more than covered.