British Speedway Forum

Has anyone else purchased the SGP Challenge meeting on dvd? I bought 3 copies direct from ReRun - 1 for me and 2 to send out to my friends who are Martin Smolinski fans in Germany. I have to say how very disappointed I am at the quality of the filming and editing. I really don't think it's too much to ask to actually see 4 complete laps per race rather than the disjointed effort served up for a meeting of this magnitude. I attended the meeting and this dvd, in my opinion is a rather embarrassing reflection of the event.

Maybe it's just my copy that is rubbish - I hope it is otherwise I'll regret sending those 2 copies out to Bavaria.

I've got the PL 4TT from Peterborough and tbh that wasn't that great either. Too many races that are shown from different angles that keep switching every bend. Whats wrong with just 1 camera showing the action(of all 4 riders) and then other cameras used after to show replays?

Motors TV are showing a highlights package from Sept 12th - several showings, mainly well outside peak hours. If it's anything like the FIM coverage of the ice racing shown on Motors earlier in the year I wouldn't expect too much either, unfortunately.

It's nearly thirty years since I last voiced a speedway video. While there are some excellent productions the market doesn't seem to have come on that far in certain other areas....

Motors have done a few meetings of note in their time - teh Ice Speedway was terrible, hte ditor obviously got a new machine izmo for Cimbo - but they did a great job covering the Garry Stead and Sam Ermolenko meets, if my memory serves.

Motors have not 'done' any meetings - when it comes to Speedway they just take what they are given. The Garry Stead benefit was provided to Motors TV by Real to Reel (and was excellently done IMO), the Ermolenko farewell by ReRun.

The Ice Racing coverage is produced by Interzona (based in Spain) and fails principally IMO by being a magazine style, showing just a lap of a race, and with a poor voice over.

The GP Challenge that goes out next week on Motors appears also to have been done by Interzona, a trailer is already available to view from their website www.interzona.tv

Despite being omitted from Virgin Media's EPG this programme was given its first airing tonight on Motors TV UK at 11.05 pm. The coverage is better than the ice racing - full heats and it looks like all heats were shown. Picture quality's a bit ropey and the commentator could be better informed, but well worth a viewing.

It has been packaged as an FIM production with the FIM graphic present throughout. The replay timings are all over the place during the next week, sadly all well outside peak times. I'll try to confirm the production company and commentator but if it's like the ice racing it'll just be an FIM TV logo as credit to close.

Just watched it through. All heats shown but no end titles. It went straight from a shot of the riders opening the champagne to an ad break so thanks to Pete Ballinger for his alternative insight into the production.

If anyone is interested there are six more showings, including one genuinely prime-time slot:

17.09 05.05 (yes, 5 am)

19.09 20.00

20.09 04.10

20.09 14.15

27.09 03.40

27.09 09.35

Motors TV UK is on Virgin 545 and Sky 447, but not on Freeview.

Hope this is of use to someone.

Edited by rmc

Media answers did the best motors programmes when they did the PLRC from Sheffield, what a shame they are no longer involved in speedway.

Saw this tonight and have to admit....... i missed Nigel and Kelvin! :shock:

and whats with having 10 camera view changes for the 1st race? gave up counting for the rest

• Like 1

Motors have not 'done' any meetings - when it comes to Speedway they just take what they are given. The Garry Stead benefit was provided to Motors TV by Real to Reel (and was excellently done IMO), the Ermolenko farewell by ReRun.

The Ice Racing coverage is produced by Interzona (based in Spain) and fails principally IMO by being a magazine style, showing just a lap of a race, and with a poor voice over.

The GP Challenge that goes out next week on Motors appears also to have been done by Interzona, a trailer is already available to view from their website www.interzona.tv

Sorry, didn't know Re-Run Video, Clean Cut Sports or any other DVD company had the facilities to broadcast speedway on satelite TV, I was mistaken for thinking my channel said Motors TV.

Can't comment on ReRun Production as I haven't seen it, but I own and have enjoyed many of their productions over the years.

Don't want to risk hi-jacking the thread either, but if someone's looking for alternative coverage of the event, we have the official FIM DVD of the meeting available from our website at: www.webjam.com/speedwayondvd The DVD features the full camerawork from every race, with the day's FIM live commentary and trackside reporting (a clip from the meeting is here: http://youtu.be/7tGDXrbD4yc). And for the Martin Smolinski fan, we have quite a lot of his other meetings this year, including his route to the GP challenge and the World Longtrack. Apologies for the plug, but hope this helps.

AR