British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Mildenhall V Heathens 08/09

Cant believe no-one has put up a topic yet, so before i go to work, here it is. Im going for a narrow away win for The Heathens.

Cant believe no-one has put up a topic yet, so before i go to work, here it is. Im going for a narrow away win for The Heathens.

I think you are right, reserve strength in particular counting. Its going to take a major effort from Mildenhall's top five to see them take points, never mind all of them.

Of all the matches I have been to this season, this is undoubtedly one of the most attractive and, I'd say, one of the biggest. Some might suggest it is a mere NL meeting but, as any fan of one of the two clubs would confirm, it is anything but.

The two teams are definitely the most prominent in the NL and, Kent maybe aside, get the best attendances (I'll be surprised if it isn't four figures this afternoon). They are both in the top four, and are full of young talented British riders. Then there's the superb West Row raceway (prepared by my old mate Bob Ellis) which is one of my favourites and also one of the best in the country.

Finally, of course, (and while I don't want to overstate it it clearly exists) there's the needle between the two clubs. Defeat for Mildenhall (although not disastrous) will be very hard to stomach, but Dudley will be very disappointed if they don't take anything from the match.

Always makes for a better and more anticipated meeting, that.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

I think you are right, reserve strength in particular counting. Its going to take a major effort from Mildenhall's top five to see them take points, never mind all of them.

Of all the matches I have been to this season, this is undoubtedly one of the most attractive and, I'd say, one of the biggest. Some might suggest it is a mere NL meeting but, as any fan of one of the two clubs would confirm, it is anything but.

The two teams are definitely the most prominent in the NL and, Kent maybe aside, get the best attendances (I'll be surprised if it isn't four figures this afternoon). They are both in the top four, and are full of young talented British riders. Then there's the superb West Row raceway (prepared by my old mate Bob Ellis) which is one of my favourites and also one of the best in the country.

Finally, of course, (and while I don't want to overstate it it clearly exists) there's the needle between the two clubs. Defeat for Mildenhall (although not disastrous) will be very hard to stomach, but Dudley will be very disappointed if they don't take anything from the match.

Always makes for a better and more anticipated meeting, that.

You over egg the pudding HT.

No Josh Bates today and having to use r/r with a long tail is a big ask. I think will be more of a disappointment for Dudley if they do not top 50.

Expect to see some good racing though, if the Top 3 can score well and Aaron pick up points like last week will keep it interesting. Good experience for the young un's as well.

Kev

Mildenhall won 48-42.Some strange non- tactical decisions by the Dudley manager.Three riders under performing,one in form reserve...no changes made!!! :o

Edited by martin_t

Anyone got the points scorers from the meeting please ?.

Mildenhall 48 – 1. Stefan Nielsen 11 (5) 2. R/R 3. Aaron Baseby 3+2 (5) 4. Jon Armstrong 10+1 (5) 5. Danny Halsey 14+1 (6) 6. Connor Mountain 2+1 (3) and 7. Liam Rumsey 8+3 (6).

Dudley 42 – 1. Paul Starke 6 (4) 2. Gareth Isherwood 0 (4) 3. Ashley Morris 11 (5) 4. Max Clegg 1 (4) 5. Lewis Blackbird 13+1 (5) 6. Dan Greenwood 9+1 (4 ) and 7. Nathan Greaves 2 (4)

Mildenhall 48 – 1. Stefan Nielsen 11 (5) 2. R/R 3. Aaron Baseby 3+2 (5) 4. Jon Armstrong 10+1 (5) 5. Danny Halsey 14+1 (6) 6. Connor Mountain 2+1 (3) and 7. Liam Rumsey 8+3 (6).

Dudley 42 – 1. Paul Starke 6 (4) 2. Gareth Isherwood 0 (4) 3. Ashley Morris 11 (5) 4. Max Clegg 1 (4) 5. Lewis Blackbird 13+1 (5) 6. Dan Greenwood 9+1 (4 ) and 7. Nathan Greaves 2 (4)

Thanks for that Mr Presenter, now i can understand what some supporters are moaning about, Three riders 3 points between them, and no extra rides for Dan G, long way to go to see your Team lose, and riders to have practice.

Edited by greyhoundp

Thanks for that Mr Presenter, now i can understand what some supporters are moaning about, Three riders 3 points between them, and no extra rides for Dan G, long way to go to see your Team lose, and riders to have practice.

Agree GreyhoundP, Lewis, Ashley & Dan G must be scratching their heads after fighting to the last - Lewis highly delighted at winning Ht 15 is the way it should be - not sure that any of the others learned anything in taking the full quota of rides.

Also not sure on the spin that it was to give riders track time, sure your large contingent of traveling supporters felt the same.

Kev

I enjoyed the meeting and have to agree to some of the above posts.

Apart from giving some riders more track time I cannot think why Dudley were so intent on losing today.

Also not sure on the spin that it was to give riders track time, sure your large contingent of traveling supporters felt the same.

Kev

I can't think of any other reason, Kev. Having said that, I'd question whether giving them their fourth ride would make any difference. Indeed, it might actually damage their confidence at West Row.

If I were a Dudley fan who travelled, I'd feel slightly cheated that my team could have won but effectively chose not to - in my view for very little gain.

With an eye on possible KO cup & play off meetings, I don't think anyone will get too carried away given that Mildenhall were weakened and Dudley's tactics, but the result must have given more pleasure to the Mildenhall camp. No-one I spoke to thought they would win.

The meeting itself was close but there wasn't much good racing. However, the suggestion that you could not pass was blown apart by an amazing heat 13, in which Halsey brilliantly beat Blackbird from behind after the pair had passed and repassed. One of the best races I have seen anywhere this season.

Mildenhall's match winner, though, was Rumsey - aided by a superb team ride by Armstrong in heat 14.

• Like 1

Mildenhall won 48-42.Some strange non- tactical decisions by the Dudley manager.Three riders under performing,one in form reserve...no changes made!!! :o

will keeping his powder dry!!

If they had told fans to stay away and explain that it would be used as a practise then it wouldnt be to bad! But they are not allowed to do this, not alowed to disrespect the opoposition! Fact of the matter is, they could have won and booked a practise session somewhere else this week if they wanted to do this!

Nathan Greaves has been doing a few laps after the last few home meetings because he is bang out of form and low on confidence!

Wrong move by the Heathens Team Manager and very disheartening on alot of fan who traveled!