British Speedway Forum
Elephantman

Rules On Twitter/facebook Use By Riders And Officials

Is there any guidance/rules issued by the authorities on the use of social media by riders and officials? As most marketing professionals agree social media can be a very strong tool for building a following and delivering positive messages about an organisations or in this case a sport.

I have no interest in Elite league speedway but I am none the less concerned to see an official of a club using twitter in what can only be described as an infantile way. Any rider or official using social media inappropriately is by default damaging the image of speedway and therefore damaging the club that I follow. Are there any rules and if not why not?

As per the 2013 Rider Registration form with the SCB (http://www.scbgb.co....egistration.pdf)

All Competitors are required to conduct themselves in an orderly and disciplined manner at all times.

It is a breach of the Speedway Regulations if any acts committed are prejudicial to the interests of any part of the ACU, SCB, BSPA or of the sport of motorcycling generally by way of any verbal or written communication in any format.

The use of foul, abusive or offensive language, profane activity or fraudulent comments by any accessible medium, e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, Texts, Webshots, Instagrams, Public Forums or any other Social Network sites etc., (this list is not exhaustive) is not permitted

Edited by Tkdandy
  • Like 2

As per the 2013 Rider Registration form with the SCB (http://www.scbgb.co....egistration.pdf)

Thanks so that's the riders covered; but what about officials? The other point to note is that I'm not sure that the wording covers "acting like a childish buffoon". It's actually a serious point as the tweets that I read fall in to that category and I'd argue are unseemly and unprofessional but I'm not sure that they are, "foul, abusive or offensive language, profane activity or fraudulent comments". However it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that damage can still be done without falling foul of those definitions. So is there an process of applying a sanction to an official who has basically acted like an idiot?

Thanks so that's the riders covered; but what about officials? The other point to note is that I'm not sure that the wording covers "acting like a childish buffoon". It's actually a serious point as the tweets that I read fall in to that category and I'd argue are unseemly and unprofessional but I'm not sure that they are, "foul, abusive or offensive language, profane activity or fraudulent comments". However it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that damage can still be done without falling foul of those definitions. So is there an process of applying a sanction to an official who has basically acted like an idiot?

Care to share a name or Club that this relates to? Twitter is yet another good promotional tool if used in the correct way, unfortunately there are always those who type quicker than they can think!

Care to share a name or Club that this relates to? Twitter is yet another good promotional tool if used in the correct way, unfortunately there are always those who type quicker than they can think!

Neil Middleditch I imagine....He's an embarrassment!

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 3

True. Even his dog didn't like him and they've usually got good taste.

• Like 5

Neil Middleditch I imagine....He's an embarrassment!

True. Even his dog didn't like him and they've usually got good taste. .......its just the way middle aged people behave these days. Can anybody link this wonderful exclusive could do with a laugh!

If you have clowns in charge,don't be surprised when people laugh at the sport

• Like 1

I don't think that Neil Middleditch deserves all this abuse - after all - we don't actually KNOW it is him.

I agree with The White Knight in principle. However having read some of the tweets myself, it's not really the expected conduct of the national team manager.

Middlo would be far better off by not engaging with such rampant abuse.

I don't think that Neil Middleditch deserves all this abuse - after all - we don't actually KNOW it is him.

its him.... And many others.

I think you'll find it is him and yes he does.

Edited by Gemini