British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

Glasgow V Plymouth Pl Sun 15th Sept @3p.m.

I don't think Glasgow (or Belle Vue) are allowed to call meetings off without a referee being present.

Think you may be correct not sure about Belle Vue but i vaguely remember reading that it must be a SCB referee or official to make that call at Glasgow.

Think you may be correct not sure about Belle Vue but i vaguely remember reading that it must be a SCB referee or official to make that call at Glasgow.

Belle Vue cannot call off a meeting without an SCB officials consent after the fiasco with the fake burst water main incident earlier in the year..................

RP

You have to make your own judgment call whether to go or not based on the weather forecast you see, not what you are told from others, official or not. I learned that a long time ago after wasted journeys to Worky and Edinburgh.

I decided last night not to go based on the weather warning just the same as I did for the first Ipswich match that was stopped after ht4. More often than not it has been the right decision.

Glasgow had little to lose today, Plymouth were already coming, Anders would already have taken his flight and it was the last PL match. Also being Grieves last proper home appearance may have made people think about going anyway.

I think we are paying the price for having 4 weeks between home meetings in July when we had glorious sunshine, perfect for speedway, if a little dusty. One Sunday was the PL Fours however if no one would come for the other Sundays fair enough but we need to be smarter about it in 2014 by not accepting something like this.

So the next time the meeting is cancelled I'll just go in case it might just be on. :o

I

I came through from edinburgh and was 5mins from the track when I heard it was off, I want along and the track was like a ploughed field, there was no way it was ever going to be on, have heard they may rerun on 29th September??

as a blind man in a dark room could reason, if you are that far away from the place you are going, you have no option but to trust what you are told. Only to find out on arrival etc....

Is that okay for you?

To back up Lioness on this one.

ThePinstripe, forgive me if I'm saying something you already know. I live 40 miles from Ashfield on the East coast, Glasgow is on the West. The two sides of Scotland can have very different weather on the day.

I was very keen to go today, probably more for sentimental reasons than anything else ... Grievsey, last official team meeting until March 2014, etc.

I left it until the last minute to decide not to go. Even missed out on weekly game of golf to ensure I could be there on time!

Even during the morning, reading poster's comments on here, I was optimistic and determined to go. Knowing in the back of my mind that the weather can be so different between home and Ashfield.

Similarly, I live 15 miles from Armadale and have on occasions decided not to go because it's peeing down at home, then go on the Updates site and find the meeting is going on and no issues with weather.

It's the old saying, in Scotland you can get four seasons weather in one hour.

as a blind man in a dark room could reason, if you are that far away from the place you are going, you have no option but to trust what you are told. Only to find out on arrival etc....

Is that okay for you?

But dont understand why if you knew it was never going to be on you would waste your own time by still going

Its happened many times that promotions stress the meeting is definately on yet it still gets cancelled if your foolish enough to go ahead and still turn up despite torrential rain then thats your own problem no point whinging about losing two hours of your time

for the hard of reading, I live an hour away, i dont know, I have to rely on the word of people there only to arrive and find you have been at best mis-led. In as simple a way I can write it as possible.

Still, you carry on mis reading all you like and having your usual wee digs at me, whatever makes you happy - at least everyone else on the thread can actually read and understand whats being said

• Like 2

This is an interesting question - to which I do not know the answer - however let's for a moment speculate that this is / was true..........does it have to be the programmed referee who makes the decision or could the SCB referee who lives closest to the track be called to attend?

I believe it was any referee so they could have called in a local ref if it was needed. One of the track staff who is usually up on these things has stated that Glasgow dont have that requirement any more although the Plymouth website indicates surprise that Glasgow didn't call in a referee earlier.

Lots of smoke and mirrors really! As Gordon Pairman reads the board perhaps he could confirm if Glasgow are still required to call in a referee and if so that a local one can do it.

Irrespective of the ins and outs of what referee is required, in my previous posts on this particular match I expressed astonishment that it wasn't called off much earlier. Common sense should have kicked in here. Yes the rain seemed to go off, but where I was, there were two very heavy showers, at 4.00 and 5.00, right in the middle of race time.

Even if the track was rideable, and munchkin has said it was " like a ploughed field, " the really strong wind in itself was a safety factor. It was dangerous. End of.

In that respect I am sorry to say, the promotion seems to have been willing to take the chance and start proceedings. They were wrong. Plain and simple.

• Like 1

Two posters on Easy Tiger posted 1:15 yesterday that weather was dry and sunny; and blue skies.

Both referring to areas closer to the stadium than Lioness and myself.

Two posters on Easy Tiger posted 1:15 yesterday that weather was dry and sunny; and blue skies.

Both referring to areas closer to the stadium than Lioness and myself.

Actually it was at that time , the rain did stop around noon . However the previous 8 hour monsoon probably meant the track needed more than a couple of hours to dry out . I had decided at around 10 o clock that morning that it was a waste of time even thinking about going .