Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
TheReturn

R/r For A Rider Riding Elsewhere?

When did our sport become such a joke? Had to laugh when Pearson declared that a rider in last nights match was R/R because he was riding for another team elsewhere. It just sounds ridiculous. R/R should be for injured riders only.

• Like 3

Gosh, another nail in the coffin. This sort of thing is why I havent attended a Speedway meeting for approx 3yrs now.

Team Speedway is an entertainment spectacle a bit like the wall of death - it isn't a sport and that's why it will continue to die off and leave individual Speedway as the sport.

Even the World cup is a series of individual races!!!!!!!!!!!

When did our sport become such a joke? Had to laugh when Pearson declared that a rider in last nights match was R/R because he was riding for another team elsewhere. It just sounds ridiculous. R/R should be for injured riders only.

It's been a joke for a long time I'm sad to say. Ben Barker for Ipswich and Jason Doyle for Somerset both missing and R/R at last nights Premier match.

I & many others have made posts on this forum re r/r ,guests etc etc bemoaning the amateurish way it makes the sport look & we have been destroyed by fans criticising our views. Well the sport stinks I'm afraid & it saddens me to see such a sorry mess. It is the titanic league.

• Like 2

Amateurish is the only way to describe the rules but the promoters seem to think everything is OK and don't seem to understand why fans are deserting.All we here is true fans support through thick and thin.IMO the rules are the problem.

When did our sport become such a joke? Had to laugh when Pearson declared that a rider in last nights match was R/R because he was riding for another team elsewhere. It just sounds ridiculous.

How do you explain this to a new supporter?. Monday night Somerset use r/r for Jason Doyle because he is riding for Birmingham v Kings Lynn in Elite League. Wednesday night Birmingham at Kings Lynn in Elite League use r/r for Jason Doyle because he is riding for Somerset???

How do you explain this to a new supporter?. Monday night Somerset use r/r for Jason Doyle because he is riding for Birmingham v Kings Lynn in Elite League. Wednesday night Birmingham at Kings Lynn in Elite League use r/r for Jason Doyle because he is riding for Somerset???

You can't that is the trouble with the sport.

You don't explain it as they're unlikely to know about it.

Also reasons why the National media don't recognise speedway as a major (even minor perhaps?) sport any more.

Use of R/R, & or Guest's, A necessary evil in Team Speedway?

I started following speedway in the UK in 1970 (6 yrs old)

R/R and Guest riders have always been present, I think the only thing that has changed is the reasons for there use....

The reasons for these necessary evils is firstly to keep a team competitive when missing riders, in them days it was mostly injuries, and foreign riders having to fulfil fixtures in there homeland due to having to.

There is not enough money in speedway for a true squad system, that would allow teams to have riders not riding, but still getting paid.

What's the main difference now is that there are lots more reasons for riders not being available because they ride in many leagues, world championship gp's, and other speedway disciplines all over Europe.

I think its sometimes the REASON for a riders absence, more than his absence itself and how his rides are covered that winds fans up. There are to many reasons now, and non genuine reasons and abuse of this that's the main gripe...

I think it should only be when a heat leader is not available should a guest be allowed, of similar standard.

I don't know how to replace second strings or reserves yet, but R/R could work for the second strings, not fully worked out a fair and just way for replacing reserves yet

One thing is using a guest rider should NEVER be allowed to strengthen a team.

Any input?

It's not that difficult if you're trying to explain it to people with brains that work.

Use of R/R, & or Guest's, A necessary evil in Team Speedway?

I started following speedway in the UK in 1970 (6 yrs old)

R/R and Guest riders have always been present, I think the only thing that has changed is the reasons for there use....

The reasons for these necessary evils is firstly to keep a team competitive when missing riders, in them days it was mostly injuries, and foreign riders having to fulfil fixtures in there homeland due to having to.

There is not enough money in speedway for a true squad system, that would allow teams to have riders not riding, but still getting paid.

What's the main difference now is that there are lots more reasons for riders not being available because they ride in many leagues, world championship gp's, and other speedway disciplines all over Europe.

I think its sometimes the REASON for a riders absence, more than his absence itself and how his rides are covered that winds fans up. There are to many reasons now, and non genuine reasons and abuse of this that's the main gripe...

I think it should only be when a heat leader is not available should a guest be allowed, of similar standard.

I don't know how to replace second strings or reserves yet, but R/R could work for the second strings, not fully worked out a fair and just way for replacing reserves yet

One thing is using a guest rider should NEVER be allowed to strengthen a team.

Any input?

yes - no guests end of

sign somone else or get creamed - either is preferable to sham teams

Why would it matter to a newcomer. They would usually be happy to see 15 heats of decent racing between 6 or 7 riders on each team! If they actually buy a programme or racecard, they can fill in any gaps in the races simply by listening to announcements or checking the scoreboard - assuming there is one.

It's not that difficult if you're trying to explain it to people with brains that work.

Ah that's where I am going wrong!!

Why would it matter to a newcomer. They would usually be happy to see 15 heats of decent racing between 6 or 7 riders on each team! If they actually buy a programme or racecard, they can fill in any gaps in the races simply by listening to announcements or checking the scoreboard - assuming there is one.

after they come back for a couple of weeks they might ask if this is aTeam sport .they then might just start attending GPs.

Why would it matter to a newcomer.

Errrr because they might actually want to know the rules of what minority sport with stupid rules they have actually came along to watch for the first time as they might want to return
  • Like 1