British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Leslie

Will Fans Be Promoting The Sport Tomorrow (sat 20/9)?

If he does become the champion tomorrow, and along with many I hope he does, re twitter etc after the meeting.

On Eurosport tomorrow (Saturday), sky channel 410 & 412 at 12.45 PM there is a 'Tai Woffinden Special' .

Andy Jaye speaks to Tai ahead of the last two rounds of the GP.

Its also on at 5.45 on those channels , just before the GP starts

You can bet they'll all be watching it on big screen in The Rovers on Corrie.

I listen to 5live every day and speedway never gets a mention.

Is that really so surprising? After the success of BBC Radio WM's coverage of Midlands speedway (and look what happened there) if memory serves me correctly, Radio 5Live were due to provide coverage of the 2012 play-offs...until the fixtures were re-arranged, as is the way with speedway... so that they fell on nights when other things took priority. Bear in mind also the famous tale of BBC Radio reporters being ejected mid-meeting from the Norfolk Area when covering a Kings Lynn v Brummies meeting.

Are you really surprised that the BBC isn't bothered about speedway?

Actually the BBC are interested.

I've been told that if Tai wins the title tonight, there will be a big press conference on Monday morning for all the media at the new BBC Television Centre in Manchester.

Is that really so surprising? After the success of BBC Radio WM's coverage of Midlands speedway (and look what happened there) if memory serves me correctly, Radio 5Live were due to provide coverage of the 2012 play-offs...until the fixtures were re-arranged, as is the way with speedway... so that they fell on nights when other things took priority. Bear in mind also the famous tale of BBC Radio reporters being ejected mid-meeting from the Norfolk Area when covering a Kings Lynn v Brummies meeting.

What about your beloved Brummies owner (Alan Phillips) and that wonderful commercial manager chap (Joe McLaughlin) stopping BBC WM from broadcasting live from Perry Barr Stadium this earlier season - and then Mr Phillips having the nerve to write in his programme notes a week later moaning and wondering why that the media aren't covering the club.

And then the same said commercial manager ringing up BBC WM within the last week or so gloating (provoking) that the only reason the crowds improved during this summer was because BBC WM weren't covering them live.

What a wonderful way to build media relationships.

5 live do have speedway but usually only around the cardiff GP & know darren fletcher who commentates for 5 live has done GP commentary on the radio & really likes his speedway. I can see them covering the GPs in the future but why the hell would they be interested in the elite league ,my badminton club is more professional & were rubbish

Well 5Live gave it a 10 second mention in the sports section of the news @ 22.30, they just mentioned that Tai had failed to clinch the Championship in tonights Swedish GP in Stockholm. Unfortunately no mention of the fact that it's not over yet, or Poland, or anything else.

Fair enough I suppose, after all he didn't win it tonight as anticipated, it will take a lot of pushing to get them to give more coverage but I wonder how much influence the emails those of us sent on Friday had on them giving a mention, must have helped a little.

Edited by nw42

Well 5Live gave it a 10 second mention in the sports section of the news @ 22.30, they just mentioned that Tai had failed to clinch the Championship in tonights Swedish GP in Stockholm. Unfortunately no mention of the fact that it's not over yet, or Poland, or anything else.

Fair enough I suppose, after all he didn't win it tonight as anticipated, it will take a lot of pushing to get them to give more coverage but I wonder how much influence the emails those of us sent on Friday had on them giving a mention, must have helped a little.

to be fair to the beeb...

speedway hardly has a media team who keep pummeling them until they give in...

with so many sports to cover he who shouts/lobbys loudest often gets heard...

yet again it highlights speedway's lack of media savvy..... :icon_smile_clown:

golden egg Tai if 'used' properly.. :o