British Speedway Forum
uk_martin

Thank God That's Over - Thoughts Of The 2013 Season

For fans of 6 of the 10 EL teams, the 2013 campaign is over. The fans of the other 4 teams will soon be joining you, don't worry.

So what are the memories that will mark the 2013 campaign out in your minds?

Team GB being embarrassed by Latvia?

Darcy "Do No Wrong" Ward's defence by Middleditch?

Rainy days with fixtures and sunny days without?

Belle Vue v Poole Round 1? (David Gordon and the Plumber from Hell)

Belle Vue v Poole Round 2? (David Gordon and the Ten Heat Blunder)

Poole v Lakeside's call-off?

Brummies and Swindon's (and everyone else's - if you scratch beneath the surface and look for the facts) financial plight?

Kings Lynn's electrical shenanigans (again)

Kings Lynn's illegal team

...Add to the list at your leisure and pleasure

OR

Did the sun shine brightly in your back garden? Did all your roses come out to bloom brightly? Was this the best and most exciting season that you can remember?

OK I admit it, this is very much a "cup half empty" post, but never before have I wanted a season to end as quickly and to look beyond the sport and onto other things (and dammit, my team is still in the play-off's with a chance of winning the damned thing)

If the Brummies fold in the closed-season, I can quite happily walk away from British speedway, do a few flights over to Poland and Sweden for my 500cc fix and leave it at that. If the Brummies don't fold, well, let's see how I feel in March, because how I feel at the moment,...well, as I say, let's wait until March.

So how's it been for you?

Edited by uk martin

Awful season, too many injuries, poor form from Klindt and Schlein early on who were key men and long spells with no senior home fixtures.

Roll on 2014.

Worst season ever...... Far to few fixtures, far to many guests, double up riders who had to put Premier league first, no cup fixtures and a season that end in September for most .

Surely 2014 must be better .

Bad season but better than normal.

We had a great start but that was due to facing the poorer teams in the league early

Pipe gate was a disaster add to that a month break really set us back

Then kind of got it bk at end of season

Not enough fixtures for me though

One last thing that I enjoyed was the racing at kirky lane. A million times better this year so a big pay on the back to merideth for that

Bad points.... An 2 months to start with, shocking team, shocking management..... Pooles constant bending of the rules.... Promoters being part of the Fraud buddy system..... the Whole Lynn debacle...... Nicolai Klindt need you say anymore....... The good points....... the end of the season.. return of Sullivan, the guy definitely helped us and got us going..... a tighter playoffs with level teams.....Tai really stepping up and also other young riders, and even riders like Smolinski, good on em!

Surely 2014 must be better .

I wouldn't bank on it. The same things seem to happen year after year - twisting the rules, riders missing U.K. matches due to 'injury' but then miraculously recovering to ride in their own country the day after, too few E.L. matches, no K.O.Cup, sunny days and no speedway, plus all of the reasons given by uk martin. Unless there is a real shake up at this year's AGM I think it will be just the same in 2014 and even more fans deserting the sport.

• Like 4

For most clubs

Too few meetings

Too many gaps in the season

Too many accidents and injuries to riders

Too many r/r and guest riders

The d/u system, although helpful to young riders, causes problems for EL and PL clubs.

Rules and regs still need a complete revamp.

Team changes each year, due to average limit

Another awful year for Team GB

A brilliant year for Tai in GP

For Swindon

A good team

Improving riders

D/u problems

Team concerns for a period re payment delays, now sorted thankfully

• Like 2

Must agree with most to few meetings R/R guest riders all need sorting for next season. High points Wolves made play offs and we could have a British World Champ.

Pretty good and enjoyable season of racing. Looking like a great climax as well. Some of the racing has been top notch and looking forward to Monday nights Playoff semis.

Not a vintage year (yet) but a cut above the average season and the drama of who will get the last playoff berth was good stuff.

Lots of things need sorting out ( more fixtures and home and away twice please) but with Matt Ford and Frost at the helm of the BSPA next year by the look of it, things should improve.

For fans of 6 of the 10 EL teams, the 2013 campaign is over. The fans of the other 4 teams will soon be joining you, don't worry.

So what are the memories that will mark the 2013 campaign out in your minds?

Team GB being embarrassed by Latvia?

Darcy "Do No Wrong" Ward's defence by Middleditch?

Rainy days with fixtures and sunny days without?

Belle Vue v Poole Round 1? (David Gordon and the Plumber from Hell)

Belle Vue v Poole Round 2? (David Gordon and the Ten Heat Blunder)

Poole v Lakeside's call-off?

Brummies and Swindon's (and everyone else's - if you scratch beneath the surface and look for the facts) financial plight?

Kings Lynn's electrical shenanigans (again)

Kings Lynn's illegal team

...Add to the list at your leisure and pleasure

OR

Did the sun shine brightly in your back garden? Did all your roses come out to bloom brightly? Was this the best and most exciting season that you can remember?

OK I admit it, this is very much a "cup half empty" post, but never before have I wanted a season to end as quickly and to look beyond the sport and onto other things (and dammit, my team is still in the play-off's with a chance of winning the damned thing)

If the Brummies fold in the closed-season, I can quite happily walk away from British speedway, do a few flights over to Poland and Sweden for my 500cc fix and leave it at that. If the Brummies don't fold, well, let's see how I feel in March, because how I feel at the moment,...well, as I say, let's wait until March.

So how's it been for you?

That pretty much sums it up. All I would really add is Middleditch's comments on twitter. The man seems completely unaware that even in speedway the job of GB team manager and team manager of a top league club ought to carry with it a certain amount of dignity and that childish "ya-boo" comments on twitter do him no credit at all. I find his attitude very disappointing.

But what's done is done and the bigger questions are "Where do we go from here" and "How do we set about restoring some credibility"y, not so much to the sport itself but to those who administer it? Personally I would like to see some sort of formal statement from the SCB or BSPA at least acknowledging that they understand the fans frustrations, that they appreciate that for a variety of reasons (mostly set out in UK Martins post) the season fell short of what the paying public is entitled to expect and that they will be working hard in the winter to make sure things improve next year. I am not holding my breath but some sort of declaration of intent for the future would be a good first step to restoring public confidence. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Noting wrong with Middlos comments on Twitter and I thought they were quite restrained considering the amount of abuse he was getting from total morons.

With Matt likely Chair or Vice Chair for next year, perhaps he can give some pointers to a few of the promoters who don't know what the word "promote" actually means. Certainly if he takes to role the BSPA will be in better hands.

Pretty good and enjoyable season of racing. Looking like a great climax as well. Some of the racing has been top notch and looking forward to Monday nights Playoff semis.

Not a vintage year (yet) but a cut above the average season and the drama of who will get the last playoff berth was good stuff.

Lots of things need sorting out ( more fixtures and home and away twice please) but with Matt Ford and Frost at the helm of the BSPA next year by the look of it, things should improve.

Oh no.That is just too predictable.Seems Hougaard Racing has hacked Steves account and writing in typical Shovlar style,but Steve would really be a bit more original after all these years???????

• Like 2

Struggled to get into the sport this year.

Don't really miss it when I don't go.

When I don't go I would forget about it, but for the odd mention on BRMB sports news.

Since we went Elite League, it's lost it's mojo.

From an Aces point of view, enjoyed watching Craig Cook & Matej Zagar this season, good that the track was better than previous seasons too. The non-inclusion of Richie Worrall in the Aces 1-7 still baffles me - & then of course there was "pipegate".......... Really enjoyed following Woffy's season, really hope he finishes the job, either tonight or at Torun. My biggest bugbear this season has been the fixture schedule, way too many gaps in what's been a decent summer weatherwise, that's got to be addressed at the annual jolly in November.