Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
uk_martin

Thank God That's Over - Thoughts Of The 2013 Season

Lakeside for one, whose season ended in August I believe without a final 'goodbye' meeting and it's all sort of fizzled out. Have their season ticket holders had value for money? Leicester

Lakeside season ticket holders are not happy. I am surprised any body from any club buys a season ticket anymore with the lack of meetings and postponements. This is a serious problem because clubs depend on season ticket sales to pay of last seasons debts but if fans don't get value for money sales are going to drop.

Lakeside season ticket holders are not happy. I am surprised any body from any club buys a season ticket anymore with the lack of meetings and postponements. This is a serious problem because clubs depend on season ticket sales to pay of last seasons debts but if fans don't get value for money sales are going to drop.

I thought that's what the Sky money was used for - in most cases anyway!! I agree that fans want value for money, but whats wrong with offering a 'season ticket' or 'voucher book' for a set number of league fixtures?! If there is also a small discount/incentive thrown in for early purchase, why is that a problem? If fans at certain clubs have paid out in advance for an unstipulated number of matches, then I agree the system needs looking at!

I would not for one moment doubt that Mr. Shovlar is actually a Speedway fan.

However, what I would doubt is his sportsmanship, fair-mindedness and integrity - and that goes for ANY other Poole supporter that would consider winning the Elite League Title in 2013 as being nothing other than a very hollow, cheap award; achieved basically by cheating.

Fortunately, there are some Poole Supporters contributing on this forum that don't have such a blinkered, idiotic view of proceedings over the past few months. Full credit to you for having the ability to speak your own minds; instead of being swayed by 'The Shovlarosi'.

As a Speedway Supporter who, let me make this clear yet again, has NO dislike of any Poole riders OR the majority of their supporters, a Poole victory for the 2013 title has about as much depth as a grain of sand.

Poole in the final and lovin' it. If we win great but we are here on merit, having made the playoffs and then dispatched of Swindon.

And if we win the final the Krug will certainly be cracked open in this household. It would be a brilliant title against all the odds, with massive praise going to the best promoter in the country in Matt Ford, and Middlo for guiding the boys to their 4th final in a row. (praiseworthy enough on its own.

You and others carry on moaning and groaning about UK speedway and let true fans get on with enjoying their speedway without all this manufactured depression. Speedway will be here for years to come.

What a season for Poole fans! Up The Pirates!

• Like 1

Just put mr shovlar in charge as in his world everything is perfect on planet speedway. You are either blinkered or a wind up merchant & yes you have certainly wound me up with your ridiculous "everything is fine at poole"views. I suppose if all went t*** up & only poole survived you would be happy.

• Like 1

Hook line & sinker obviously. Just one question thou why bother putting such drivel on here if its just to wind people up ? I'm suprised mr shovlar's mum let's him out to watch speedway.

• Like 1

Hook line & sinker obviously. Just one question thou why bother putting such drivel on here if its just to wind people up ? I'm suprised mr shovlar's mum let's him out to watch speedway.

don't you think she wishes Poole rode every night so he was ALWAYS out!

• Like 3

he is the classic troll along with Hougaard racing.

his views differ from any speedway fan and he is here solely to antagonise people to give a response

• Like 1

The sad truth is guys, in relation to Shovlar's most recent drivel, he probably WOULD celebrate.

I can honestly say that for many of us on this forum, if our respective teams' won the League this year having engaged so many underhand tactics, then we'd feel that it was nothing other than an extremely hollow achievement.

But there you go. Mr. Shovlar (and the other Shovlarosi) all probably got their 'swim a width' certificate with one foot on the floor of the pool. After all, what's wrong with cheating and lying to yourself, at any cost.

Winning everything, and having a total lack of any dignity and respect for your fellow man, is what life is all about..........isn't it?

• Like 2

The sad truth is guys, in relation to Shovlar's most recent drivel, he probably WOULD celebrate.

Too right I will. Krug going in the fridge and if we win I'll be cracking it open a week on Tuesday to celebrate our wonderful teams victory against all the odds. If we lose then I will crack it open to celebrate making the final. :drink:

Thanks to Matt Ford for putting his hand in his pocket and bringing in a good replacement for Noddy. Hancock at first was not an equivelent but in the last few weeks he has made me eat my words and done a super job to support Darcy at the top end.

We are lucky down here that we have such a great promotion, one that will never give up even when the fat lady is clearing her throat. Four finals in a row is a fabulous record. No other team can come close. Even if there's a change in the league structures this winter, whatever league or strength is decided on, Poole will always be found at or near the top.

There's some doom and gloom merchants on here bleating about how speedway is on its death bed. What a crock. I can guarentee I will be watching speedway next season, and the season after that, and it will stiff be about long after I have been to meet my maker. I enjoy the sport, and as far as I am concerned that's all it's about.

The moaners and whiners can bleat all they like, but this time next year the chances are Poole will be in the playoffs yet again, and another bottle of Krug will be heading for the fridge.

Up The Pirates! :drink:

Edited by Steve Shovlar

The big spoiler for me was the number of foreign riders. I don't care if standards would be lowered or about comparisons with other countries leagues (many of which are near to bankruptcy), I'm just not interested in watching four foreigners racing, much like I'm not interested when the TV shows a football match between two foreign clubs. Maybe we should amalgamate the leagues and guarantee a minimum number of British riders in every team?

But if the British boys are any good they will get a berth, just look at Lewis Kerr, started last season, this year he's ridden for Lynn in NL and Newcastle in PL and a fact that he told BBC Radio Norfolk this week, he has ridden/is riding in all the playoffs, NL, PL and EL this year :)

But if the British boys are any good they will get a berth, just look at Lewis Kerr, started last season, this year he's ridden for Lynn in NL and Newcastle in PL and a fact that he told BBC Radio Norfolk this week, he has ridden/is riding in all the playoffs, NL, PL and EL this year :)

Do not forget he also rode for Swindon in the EL, a good prospect.

Thoughts of the 2013 season;

Too many serious injuries

missing riders leading to r/r

fixture list with too many gaps

tactical rides with double points

virtually zero coverage of the sport in the national press

the threat of Sky pulling the plug on their sponsorship

...but to end on a positive note a BRITISH WORLD CHAMPION - WELL DONE TAI WOFFINDEN!

• Like 1

my over riding memory of the season?

troy batchelor helping poole reach the play offs so poole could then send him, his team and his supporters out of the competition.

:o:blink::D