British Speedway Forum
uk_martin

Thank God That's Over - Thoughts Of The 2013 Season

For fans of 6 of the 10 EL teams, the 2013 campaign is over. The fans of the other 4 teams will soon be joining you, don't worry.

So what are the memories that will mark the 2013 campaign out in your minds?

Team GB being embarrassed by Latvia?

Darcy "Do No Wrong" Ward's defence by Middleditch?

Rainy days with fixtures and sunny days without?

Belle Vue v Poole Round 1? (David Gordon and the Plumber from Hell)

Belle Vue v Poole Round 2? (David Gordon and the Ten Heat Blunder)

Poole v Lakeside's call-off?

Brummies and Swindon's (and everyone else's - if you scratch beneath the surface and look for the facts) financial plight?

Kings Lynn's electrical shenanigans (again)

Kings Lynn's illegal team

...Add to the list at your leisure and pleasure

OR

Did the sun shine brightly in your back garden? Did all your roses come out to bloom brightly? Was this the best and most exciting season that you can remember?

OK I admit it, this is very much a "cup half empty" post, but never before have I wanted a season to end as quickly and to look beyond the sport and onto other things (and dammit, my team is still in the play-off's with a chance of winning the damned thing)

If the Brummies fold in the closed-season, I can quite happily walk away from British speedway, do a few flights over to Poland and Sweden for my 500cc fix and leave it at that. If the Brummies don't fold, well, let's see how I feel in March, because how I feel at the moment,...well, as I say, let's wait until March.

So how's it been for you?

Agree with all the above, with just a few to add:

Negatives:

The Ritchie Worrall saga

Davey Watt - Finally admitting that his heart lies with Poole, just before Lakeside's crucial match.

Lakeside's season finishing on August 23

Positives:

Richard Lawson - Lakeside's rider of the year.

Bridger starting to get his act together

Watching the Polish & Swedish matches on the Internet (shows how bad things are in the UK)

Edited by KevtheRev

Agree with all the above, with just a few to add:

Negatives:

The Ritchie Worrall saga

Davey Watt - Finally admitting that his heart lies with Poole, just before Lakeside's crucial match.

Positives:

Richard Lawson - Lakeside's rider of the year.

Bridger starting to get his act together

Watching the Polish & Swedish matches on the Internet (shows how bad things are in the UK)

Surely your Davey Watt comment should be under the 'positives'!!! :t:

And on the other side of that coin, and equally stupid, Belle Vue's season is on a 5-6 week sabbatical to allow for the play-off's before they finish their meaningless league programme in mid-October!

As Bees supporter how do you feel about the Promotion not arranging any TEAM fixtures since September 6th ? I know there has been other meetings but the starvation of TEAM meetings involving the top riders is very strange . Will there be a Season Finale match on October 26th or that the season ended team wise ? I ask the question on behalf of a Coventry fan without access to the forum ...

As a coventry fan I really would not want to watch that lot from this season in any meaningless friendlies I just want this season over though I do see your point. As for the promotion I have said plenty on here regarding them this season. Everything at the club has been a disaster this season. The season team wise ended before it began due to a ridiculously poor team build to begin with. Another point I made pre season. The

end can't come soon enough.

Edited by Had

What has annoyed me immensely is the self-induced problem the the doubling up system has brought, creating the need for guests to replace double-uppers on a continual basis

If they remain in a future two league set up, please can there be sufficient double- uppers within an "Elite" league team squad to avoid the need for guests

• Like 3

What has annoyed me immensely is the self-induced problem the the doubling up system has brought, creating the need for guests to replace double-uppers on a continual basis

If they remain in a future two league set up, please can there be sufficient double- uppers within an "Elite" league team squad to avoid the need for guests

I think the double up riders is one of the best ideas about the Elite League but it doesn't work to it's fullest in the current format. IMO for this to work properly the EL has to move to 2 fixed race nights a week Monday / Thursday except for Good Friday where EL fixtures take priority. No Premier League team can ride on those nights

As Bees supporter how do you feel about the Promotion not arranging any TEAM fixtures since September 6th ? I know there has been other meetings but the starvation of TEAM meetings involving the top riders is very strange . Will there be a Season Finale match on October 26th or that the season ended team wise ? I ask the question on behalf of a Coventry fan without access to the forum ...

Sorry for the last reply. I'm disappointed there's been no more team meetings and it further disgusts me that the Bees promotion have failed to fulfil the 16 meetings for the season ticket holders. Borderline illegal surely? Charging for a false product?

Although there is rumours of a Leicester meeting flying around

Sorry for the last reply. I'm disappointed there's been no more team meetings and it further disgusts me that the Bees promotion have failed to fulfil the 16 meetings for the season ticket holders. Borderline illegal surely? Charging for a false product?

Why apologise...??? It was all true...!!!!

Uneven fixture list.....not enough home fixtures....Double up riders being unavailable....weeks with no home meetings....the inability of top riders to do all meetings no matter how many we cut back fictures...the loss of the cup (lost when it became optional)....season ending way early for some teams. Major surgery needed and not just a lower points limit and weaker teams to give us more fixtures (all for the same admission price)....the EL is reaping its 'reward' from the utter destruction and PR flaps caused over the 2010/2011 winter combined with the consistent loophole seeking of a minority of clubs. Sorry, you've caused your own demise as reflected in crowd levels most everywhere.

• Like 6

Just relieved the season is over. Let's not prolong the agony. I have no optimism that anything will change next year.

• Like 1

Belle Vue. On paper, reasonable team, but didn't do anything on track.

Think it's time that BV dropped down to the Premier League and put together a competitive side. Over the last 7 season's they've finished bottom (3 times), 2nd off bottom (2 times), and 3rd off bottom (2 times). Really can't be doing their fanbase any good.

Belle Vue. On paper, reasonable team, but didn't do anything on track.

Think it's time that BV dropped down to the Premier League and put together a competitive side. Over the last 7 season's they've finished bottom (3 times), 2nd off bottom (2 times), and 3rd off bottom (2 times). Really can't be doing their fanbase any good.

There's no certainty a PL team would be any good either

Well the highs of the season is obviously Tai Woffinden and hopefully Birmingham winning the league.

The lows

Poole speedway management and promotion

Team GB - yet with the yes man clown in charge and picking Kennett when 99% of fans knew this was wrong did we have any chance!

Poole being allowed to call off a meeting when it suits.

Poole allowing riders to ride Sunday and Tuesday but apparantly 'injured' when it came to the Monday

Poole speedway making sure a meeting at Belle Vue gets called off when it needed to be

One high for me is some Poole fans on here - Synikalle and Foreverblue - who do see what goes on. They defend there team as they should but not blinkered and are TRUE speedway fans.

The low is clowns like Shovlar and Internetman who really believe the world is blue and white with skull and crossbones and really have no idea about this wonderful sport. Shovlar even contradicts the guff he writes and when challenged disappears into a black hole and never answers the questions!

I would love Birmingham to win it so we can all just rub this clowns face in it again. I do feel sorry for the genuine Poole speedway fan.

Last thing and lets see if either Shovlar or Internetman have the cahunas to give an swer. Oh and im putting in capitals in case your blinkered Steve.

WHEN WARD LAYS ON THE TRACK AND GETS A HEAT STOPPED TO GAIN AN ADVANTAGE (and basically get you a point to help you into the play offs!) ITS TOTALLY FINE PART AND PARCEL OF THE SPORT YOU SAID.

WHEN KILDEMAND DOES EXACTLY THE SAME THING YOU BRAND HIM A CHEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOTH RIDERS CHEATED END OF DISCUSSION BUT YOU JUST CANT ADMIT IT BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT A SPEEDWAY FAN

• Like 3

The season has seen my interest and faith in the sport almost totally gone. :oops: Thank god for Tai Woffinden :t:

• Like 1