British Speedway Forum
bennyr

Eastbourne 2014

What sad news. I first went there in 1954. And before that joined the Eastbourne supporters club when they entered the NL Division Three in 1947. Sad news indeed.

At the moment - Saturday morning - there is nothing relative to this closure on the Eastbourne website.

I do not think so it is a last ditch attempt to try and promote speedway that people will support without making an annual loss of £200,000

I do see the signs of mega-problems ahead. I worked in speedway through from late 1952 for the next 10 years. The years between 1955 and 1958 were especially critical but the sport had visionaries like Ronnie Greene, Charles Ochiltree, Charlie Knott and Johnnie Hoskins to guide it through. Who are the men of that calibre these days?
Edited by Guest

I remember Bob Dugard at Eastbourne in 1954 when he was just a schoolboy helping his dad Charlie with the meeting organisation. But after meetings Bob often rode an old speedway bike in great style - probably faster than some of the riders who then competed in the meetings at Arlington Stadium.

Is this a Dugard publicity stunt?

I do not think so it is a last ditch attempt to try and promote speedway that people will support without making an annual loss of £200,000

I do not think this is "a Dugard publicity stunt" in anyway. From what I have been given to understand there will be a statement on the Eastbourne Speedway website shortly.

I do wonder if that is because nothing has changed yet and the article in the Herald is just a bit of old news.

No-one has said that Bob's suggestion at the meeting last week of running 8 or 9 meetings has been rejected have they? So maybe the club will not say anything until the next meeting of the Elite League promoters.

It really is incredible that the Eastbourne website has no comment on the current situation about what is happening at the present time.

http://www.eastbourneeagles.co/latestnews

I am sure if there is news to bring regards the future of Eastbourne then Dugard will put out a statement through the right channels, including official websites.

Seeing as the BSPA and Eastbourne own official site have no news then this is just pure press speculation.

Nothing has changed however. Dugard has said he is looking for a new buyer for next season and i cant see what else there is to say at this moment.

The local papers are going over old ground for a story. Nothing official until its official.

Instead of the doom and gloom i hope someone rescues the Eagles ASAP.

The local papers are going over old ground for a story. Nothing official until its official.

Instead of the doom and gloom i hope someone rescues the Eagles ASAP.

Well technically EB have closed unless someone comes in and takes it over OR if the EL goes with half the fixtures then BD said he may look at another year...

Are either of those scenarios likely, that's the question!

TBH I hope it's the former rather than the later because IMHO major changes are needed at EB both on and off track if more fans are to be tempted back

Edited by MrB