British Speedway Forum

sky losing champions league football to BT sport in 2015. . is this the start of the sky meltdowm...

SORRY SKIDDER 1 , JUST SEEN YOUR POST..

Edited by jenga
  • Like 1

So Sky have lost out to BT Sport for the 2015/16 Champions League TV rights, thereby saving £millions. Maybe Speedway on TV might be 'saved' after all!!? (ps. If 'saved' is the correct word to use, rather than deferring the inevitable?!)

And losing millions by the ammount of football subscribers they are gonna lose.

Just wonder what percentage of viewers have Sky just for the footie,it has to be more than all the other sports combined.

• Like 1

Is it true SKY will put the millions saved from the loss of soccer CL into the proposed speedway Champions League?

I know, give me a slap... I'm being chatty!

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

And losing millions by the ammount of football subscribers they are gonna lose.

Just wonder what percentage of viewers have Sky just for the footie,it has to be more than all the other sports combined.

They've still got the footy Premiership(s) which will keep punters fairly happy.

They've still got the footy Premiership(s) which will keep punters fairly happy.

And that is the key element in TV football broadcasting for theUK. :lol:

i think its more likely speedway can now agree a deal, maybe less money, but midweeks in the autumn and spring on sky are going to look very different. Perhaps this is why talks are so late in the day....

i think its more likely speedway can now agree a deal, maybe less money, but midweeks in the autumn and spring on sky are going to look very different. Perhaps this is why talks are so late in the day....

they still have Euro football next year - its the year after when they'll need extra action from somewhere but you are correct it gives more hope

Its getting rather expensive now if you want ALL footy/F1/Rugger/Speedway/MotoGP/Tennis..... Sky used to have it all, or some was on terrestrial. Now you have to subscribe to multiple providers!!! When will it end!!!!!!??????

• Like 1

So Sky have lost out to BT Sport for the 2015/16 Champions League TV rights, thereby saving £millions. Maybe Speedway on TV might be 'saved' after all!!? (ps. If 'saved' is the correct word to use, rather than deferring the inevitable?!)

Is this good news for British Speedway? Time well tell,

• Like 1

I think Sky and the BSPA will sort out a deal. If negotiations are taking place, Sky are interested.

I think Sky and the BSPA will sort out a deal. If negotiations are taking place, Sky are interested.

If they are they have only just started and the AGMis next week ..... unlikely to see anything before the sport has to say they are moving ahead without SKY and should they wish to stay involved it will be a bonus but without some of the bigger names that this country has somehow managed to keep in recent times.

And that is the key element in TV football broadcasting for theUK. :lol:

BSkyB have pointed out that European football represents only around 3% of viewing on its channels, compared with around 18% for the Premier League.

That's trues, in fact it's so unimportant to them that they more than doubled their offer over the cost of their current contract and came very close to matching the winning BT offer of £897M by again teaming up with ITV. They must be mightily relieved to have missed out on such a massive expense for such a small percentage of their coverage ...... ;)

I wonder if Sky would further 'drag out' any negotiations until the current contract actually ends at end December, in order to have even more of an upper hand in how Speedway on TV is to operate?!

The BSPA would presumably have to make an AGM decision to go with a league structure that assumes 'no Sky', ie no expensive top riders; and other cost-cutting measures etc etc.

Then Sky come along in January with a new deal that 'insists' on the top stars being involved in some way?! What would that mean at that relatively late stage? ...A new competition? A Super Cup or whatever, in addition to whatever League structure has already been agreed?!

I'm just a bit bored really, with no news............................................................................!! :nono:

If they are they have only just started and the AGMis next week ..... unlikely to see anything before the sport has to say they are moving ahead without SKY and should they wish to stay involved it will be a bonus but without some of the bigger names that this country has somehow managed to keep in recent times.

The AGM could well be delayed if the Sky contract is still being negotiated. No point in making a load of rules/team building plans for 2014 if the Sky contract comes in and teams can build to a higher level.

It doesn't matter if the AGM takes place in january. Teams would stil have plenty of time to build for the start of the season and rides would feel the pressure to sign, for perhaps a lower rate, if they were under presure to get fixed up.