British Speedway Forum

Anyone who has sky for speedway alone has far more money than sense

Anyone who pays full subs (this is the third year i only pay 50%) to sky has more money than sense.

Sky are made out to be the big baddie but they have a fantastic sports package which is well worth what i pay, the old pals act within speedway has been very shortsighted during the time the sport has been on sky.

We shouldn't be blaming them for the predicament that the EL finds itself in but rather look at those who run our simple but fantastic sport.

If only we had more Len Silvers and Matt Fords we would be ok. Sadly most of dopes involved are just big boys with expensive toys.

I can't see anyone here seriously blaming Sky for the current state of British Speedway. People do have concerns about Sky's influence on sport generally, especially in view of the Murdoch influence but that is a matter for media forums, not here. If you are happy with the service you pay for then fine - that's not the point at issue. What IS relevant is that if they're no longer prepared to carry the sport then we must look elsewhere.

Sky is a hard-nosed business not a charity and if they don't want to renew the deal we must move on.

• Like 2

My opinion, there will be no tv for UK speedway next season. Gospeed will put it on speedway tv as a subscription feed.

That has to be a distinct possibility, I'd be amazed if it wasn't already in motion as a lesser quality back up plan....

• Like 1

Philip, I think I remember a Terry Russell interview some years ago saying he'd become friends with his Sky counterpart and they went out to dinner socially together? Was that Barney Francis?

Under context Terry could be highlighting that for less than Sky paid for Crystal v Fulham last Monday, they could renew the 5 year GB speedway contract giving Sky 300 hours of live speedway and about 900 hours of repeats. Plus Sky would retain those who only subscribe to Sky Sports because of the speedway.

Probably Vic Wakeling,think he retired about four years ago.

For several years now Sky Sports have shown Elite League Ice Hockey, this summer they decided not to renew. Now Premier Sports have announced they going to start showing one live game a week from 23rd November along with their NHL coverage.

I MAYBE wrong (it happened once!) but have a feeling Elite League Ice Hockey were actually paying Sky rather than the other way round...

I MAYBE wrong (it happened once!) but have a feeling Elite League Ice Hockey were actually paying Sky rather than the other way round...

Possibly true. SKY ditched the Hockey EL some years ago and it then returned on SKY.

I can't see anyone here seriously blaming Sky for the current state of British Speedway. People do have concerns about Sky's influence on sport generally, especially in view of the Murdoch influence but that is a matter for media forums, not here. If you are happy with the service you pay for then fine - that's not the point at issue. What IS relevant is that if they're no longer prepared to carry the sport then we must look elsewhere.

Sky is a hard-nosed business not a charity and if they don't want to renew the deal we must move on.

Grow up RMC and get over you personal problems with me rather than attack a relevant post i made. If people have concerns about the control Sky have on sport that does include Speedway and hence makes it worthy to be discussed here. Equally the point raised concerning the subscription costs is extremely relevant to those who pay full subs and ditch the service as they don't realise that massive reductions are available if only you ask. As far as looking elsewhere, here's something novel...get out and watch a meeting live, some of the dross from the Elite and the inability of their clubs to a provide decent product is the main reason few are watching which is the real reason speedway will be dropped. As for paying to watch a feed on a computer this brings back memories of how sad it was watching the amateur production on screensort

• Like 1

30k a year.

The results of the tender process for future coverage of the Champions League (Football!) matches will be known by next Thursday - 7th November!! The winners (and losers) will undoubtedly have an impact on whether Speedway features on Sky - at a reduced financial level - in the future!!!!!?

Grow up RMC and get over you personal problems with me rather than attack a relevant post i made. If people have concerns about the control Sky have on sport that does include Speedway and hence makes it worthy to be discussed here. Equally the point raised concerning the subscription costs is extremely relevant to those who pay full subs and ditch the service as they don't realise that massive reductions are available if only you ask. As far as looking elsewhere, here's something novel...get out and watch a meeting live, some of the dross from the Elite and the inability of their clubs to a provide decent product is the main reason few are watching which is the real reason speedway will be dropped. As for paying to watch a feed on a computer this brings back memories of how sad it was watching the amateur production on screensort

I see that I am not allowed to comment on anything you say on the basis that it must be due to a personal dislike.

Well, you are correct, I do have a very strong personal dislike due to the offensive way you have spoken to me on here. However, unlike yourself I based my comments on what you wrote, not as a cheap opportunity to score puerile points. You really are a very nasty piece of work. I really could not give a damn about your opinion of my work on Screen Sport since your comments are clearly based on personal venom, not reason.

I make no great claims for what I did in speedway many years ago, but at least I got off my backside and did them unlike poisonous snipers like you. Yes it was amateurish, but on a budget of £1000 per hour what do you expect? At least we tried to help the sport, at considerable personal cost.

It's 'supporters' like you who make it such a pleasure not to have any professional involvement in the sport now.

'Grow up'? I suggest you look in the mirror.

One thing you can be sure of in speedway, no matter what you try to achieve there will always be someone like you to make you regret it.

I remember you turning on me initially because I dared to criticise football. What a shocking crime!

I also note John Hyam, hiding behind his rock as 'gustix' endorsed your posting. There is no greater discredit to your posting than to have that man's endorsement.

I've tried to help this debate by offering points from my knowledge of television generally. As ever, you can rely on ignorant posters such as yourself to make you regret it.

As for getting out to see meetings, I would love to but ill health has prevented me for most of this season. A very cheap shot from a very cheap person.

Anyway, you like Sky. Great, now what has that got to do with the future of speedway on TV? Nothing, which is why I responded, but you obviously don't have the intelligence to understand that.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 1

I really could not give a damn about your opinion of my work on Screen Sport since your comments are clearly based on personal venom, not reason.

I thought you were alright when you were on Screensport...

So Terry Russell gets a cut out of the deal?

Why?

The BSPA have the product

Sky want to purchase it.

What has Terry Russell got to do with anything, Leech!

• Like 1

So Terry Russell gets a cut out of the deal?Why? The BSPA have the productSky want to purchase it.What has Terry Russell got to do with anything, Leech!

You are ignoring the fact that the BSPA are incompetent.

If you want evidence of this just look at the KO Cup. This should be the most popular competition after the play-offs, but it is so badly organised and promoted that they didn't even bother with it in 2013.

80% of something is worth more than 100% of nothing.

Wonder how long before the text sevice disappears from our sceens for good,Sky ended theirs on wednesday,ITV finished last year,and now only BBC remain.Bit sad really,always chequed on there for the latest news and results.

Sorry to see it go off Sky,just wondered how much it costs to provide this service.

Most will say go online,but just not the same,especially when there,s not a lot on the box,and you like to keep updated.

Tommy there is a set top box software upgrade currently in development which will eventually allow users to press the text button which will then open Sky News,Sports or Movies apps very much like IPad ones with video all the content will be delivered via the broadband connection. Having seen the testing it's a lot better than Skytext which was expensive to provide. The new service will mean the same team that do Apple and Android content will provide tv app