British Speedway Forum

I think Sky will be back in with a deal and more than likely all will be revealed at end of AGM, although for once be nice if promoters didn't keep fans in dark so much.

I will not lose any sleep without a new Sky deal. Their involvement in the sport has done nothing to enhance the domestic leagues, their choice of meetings is abysmal, and it would appear all the money has been used to line the pockets of the top riders instead of investing in new young talent. Hardly a raging success...

• Like 5

I wonder if Sky would further 'drag out' any negotiations until the current contract actually ends at end December, in order to have even more of an upper hand in how Speedway on TV is to operate?!

The BSPA would presumably have to make an AGM decision to go with a league structure that assumes 'no Sky', ie no expensive top riders; and other cost-cutting measures etc etc.

Then Sky come along in January with a new deal that 'insists' on the top stars being involved in some way?! What would that mean at that relatively late stage? ...A new competition? A Super Cup or whatever, in addition to whatever League structure has already been agreed?!

I'm just a bit bored really, with no news............................................................................!! :nono:

According to Nigel Pearson,the Sky five year contract actually finished at the end of October.

I wonder if Sky would further 'drag out' any negotiations until the current contract actually ends at end December, in order to have even more of an upper hand in how Speedway on TV is to operate?!

The BSPA would presumably have to make an AGM decision to go with a league structure that assumes 'no Sky', ie no expensive top riders; and other cost-cutting measures etc etc.

Then Sky come along in January with a new deal that 'insists' on the top stars being involved in some way?! What would that mean at that relatively late stage? ...A new competition? A Super Cup or whatever, in addition to whatever League structure has already been agreed?!

I'm just a bit bored really, with no news............................................................................!! :nono:

If they DID come along wanting to change things after the AGM - they should be told to s*d off!! :mad::mad:

The Sport of Speedway is far more important to Supporters of Speedway than ANY Television Company. :approve::approve:

I will not lose any sleep without a new Sky deal. Their involvement in the sport has done nothing to enhance the domestic leagues, their choice of meetings is abysmal, and it would appear all the money has been used to line the pockets of the top riders instead of investing in new young talent. Hardly a raging success...

Spot on BP. :t::approve:

• Like 1

CANNOT early blame Sky for how the money has been frittered away or that British speedway hasn't made the most of its TV exposure.

• Like 5

CANNOT early blame Sky for how the money has been frittered away or that British speedway hasn't made the most of its TV exposure.

Someone is to blame for the garbage meetings they show, and their obsession with small trick tracks that provide little entertainment. Have asked many times who picks the Live Meetings, I have my suspicions, but no one has ever confirmed who it is. If TV exposure is to promote the sport, they must show meetings at the best racing circuits from BOTH leagues, as the Prem lge has some cracking tracks...

• Like 4

The AGM could well be delayed if the Sky contract is still being negotiated. No point in making a load of rules/team building plans for 2014 if the Sky contract comes in and teams can build to a higher level.It doesn't matter if the AGM takes place in january. Teams would stil have plenty of time to build for the start of the season and rides would feel the pressure to sign, for perhaps a lower rate, if they were under presure to get fixed up.

It does matter. Get it sorted early, as they appear to do in Sweden. Thus providing maximum time for doing what they need to be doing, promoting.

Someone is to blame for the garbage meetings they show, and their obsession with small trick tracks that provide little entertainment. Have asked many times who picks the Live Meetings, I have my suspicions, but no one has ever confirmed who it is. If TV exposure is to promote the sport, they must show meetings at the best racing circuits from BOTH leagues, as the Prem lge has some cracking tracks...

Some of the choices at times are shocking. Showing a poor team from a small track away at a big track (and vice versa) is madness but we get it a few times a year.

This is the worst week of the year for a speedway fan. Absolutely nothing happens the week before the AGM.

This is the worst week of the year for a speedway fan. Absolutely nothing happens the week before the AGM.

Not a lot afterwards either. :sad::sad:

It always amazed me that on Sky coverage there was never any mention of the race fixtures for the upcoming week. Talk about missing the obvious advertising window to encourage people to see it live!

• Like 2

The AGM could well be delayed if the Sky contract is still being negotiated. No point in making a load of rules/team building plans for 2014 if the Sky contract comes in and teams can build to a higher level.

It doesn't matter if the AGM takes place in january. Teams would stil have plenty of time to build for the start of the season and rides would feel the pressure to sign, for perhaps a lower rate, if they were under presure to get fixed up.

Why wait until the new year. Talks could have started weeks ago but they havent and now we head into an AGM which should really be held in October with a number of tracks unsure on which league they want to ride in and they need to sort out contracts asap with landlords, sponsors, riders etc and that needs doing asap.

In my opinion the EL should go forward by admitting Leicester and Ipswich but no more. Then with 12 teams go ahead with 22 home meetings and 22 away meetings with no KO Cup and no meaningless challenge meetings. Starting in mid to late March, there are only a few teams that will have GP riders in their line ups and fixtures can be sorted to ensure they dont have meetings around the time of the NZ GP.

With a combination of a few riders not riding in 2014 and more teams, the limit should be set somewhere around 37.50 in the EL and 25.00 (37.50 using PL averages) in the PL with ALL riders having just one average with riders featuring in two leagues having their averages conmined to give one set figure.

Ty Proctor for example rode in just 9 EL matches and 9 PL / PL Cup meetings. For Wolves in the EL he scored 64 points from 37 rides and for Plymouth he scored 76 from 40 rides. Going on a conversion rate of 1.5, that works out as 114.67 points from 77 rides which gives a one average of 5.96 ...... however thats not fom 28 matches.

76/40

• Like 1