British Speedway Forum

The sport should be planning cost cutting measures without the Sky money anyway as it needs to be done regardless of whether there is a television deal or not. If Sky don't come in then the clubs are still being run sustainably on a reduced budget, if they do then it is essentially bonus money, but it should be handled by the BSPA (or an independent body) and distributed to clubs only when they propose to do something for the benefit of the sport, such as upgrading facilities, investing in young rider development, offering promotional schemes to increase crowds, rather than go on the wages of a some 6 point foreigner or second tier GP rider which quite frankly we don't need.

Sky or no Sky, the sport can move forward either way but from a team building perspective at least, it should be being done without the Sky money regardless of whether a deal is going to be struck or not.

• Like 1

BT Sport are splashing the cash. Eurosport. Premier sport.

Speedway not looking for big money like football. Not even anything like rugby league or union.

All I'm saying is Sky is not the be all and and all.

Think you will find logistics,are a big part of the problem.

The sport should be planning cost cutting measures without the Sky money anyway as it needs to be done regardless of whether there is a television deal or not. If Sky don't come in then the clubs are still being run sustainably on a reduced budget, if they do then it is essentially bonus money, but it should be handled by the BSPA (or an independent body) and distributed to clubs only when they propose to do something for the benefit of the sport, such as upgrading facilities, investing in young rider development, offering promotional schemes to increase crowds, rather than go on the wages of a some 6 point foreigner or second tier GP rider which quite frankly we don't need.Sky or no Sky, the sport can move forward either way but from a team building perspective at least, it should be being done without the Sky money regardless of whether a deal is going to be struck or not.

Makes sense.

Where exactly should any tv money go? Most clubs don't own the stadia, so even if they wanted to spend any money on that side, they probably wouldn't be able to..

I suppose it could be spent on track surface improvement, you know, the actual track material itself, like having enough shale, covers for a supply of dry shale, for saving meetings when weathers been poor, but good on the day/night of the meeting. On adaquate track work equipment, a decent working start gate! A track spare or 2 (bikes) The list of [stuff] must be quite long, which would improve racing and smarten up the general appearance of the sport......

Where exactly should any tv money go? Most clubs don't own the stadia, so even if they wanted to spend any money on that side, they probably wouldn't be able to..

I suppose it could be spent on track surface improvement, you know, the actual track material itself, like having enough shale, covers for a supply of dry shale, for saving meetings when weathers been poor, but good on the day/night of the meeting. On adaquate track work equipment, a decent working start gate! A track spare or 2 (bikes) The list of [stuff] must be quite long, which would improve racing and smarten up the general appearance of the sport......

I would like to see more investment in equipment and coaching for beginners and riders at or below NL level. In the long term it would benefit the clubs and British Speedway in general. I don't care what the top level is for next year, but too much is being spent on it at the expense of the lower leagues that are ultimately the providers. Start a rebuilding plan.

Personally I think a sizeable chunk of TV money should be used to try and drive up attendance levels. Advertising/marketing/promotions. An insurance to subsidize more realistic entry prices. Sitting in an empty stadium numbs the sensation of even the most exciting racing. Sport needs atmosphere.

• Like 1

Personally I think a sizeable chunk of TV money should be used to try and drive up attendance levels. Advertising/marketing/promotions. An insurance to subsidize more realistic entry prices. Sitting in an empty stadium numbs the sensation of even the most exciting racing. Sport needs atmosphere.

[[ An insurance to subsidise more realistic entry prices????]]

[[Please explain?]]

[[ An insurance to subsidise more realistic entry prices????]]

[[Please explain?]]

What I meant by this is that, ignoring the TV money, £17 entrance money would yield a certain amount of gate receipts. (1000 x £17 = £17,000. Ignoring VAT)

Dropping entry to £10 and actively trying to draw in more fans is a risk and may result in lower gate receipts (1500 x £10 = £15,000)

An element of the TV money could perhaps be used as an insurance to mitigate these potential losses.

This is basically what I hoped would happen when Sky first got involved - that promoters would primarily focus on growing the fan base.

Obviously I am not sure whether Terry Russell or anybody else from the BSPA has spoken to BT sport but there seems to be some interest from them how much remains to be seen. What I do know is they have been asking Telegenic Sky's OB partner for Speedway if they could still provide the OB resources for Speedway for BT with there extra workload as they are providing trucks and equipment to football World Cup and commonwealth games on top of usual work for Sky,BT and BBC for rugby union and league. From what I have been told the answer was yes as long as they have enough notice

• Like 4

The sport should be planning cost cutting measures without the Sky money anyway as it needs to be done regardless of whether there is a television deal or not. If Sky don't come in then the clubs are still being run sustainably on a reduced budget, if they do then it is essentially bonus money, but it should be handled by the BSPA (or an independent body) and distributed to clubs only when they propose to do something for the benefit of the sport, such as upgrading facilities, investing in young rider development, offering promotional schemes to increase crowds, rather than go on the wages of a some 6 point foreigner or second tier GP rider which quite frankly we don't need.

Sky or no Sky, the sport can move forward either way but from a team building perspective at least, it should be being done without the Sky money regardless of whether a deal is going to be struck or not.

All the money accrued by the promoter is his alone to balance his books how he sees fit.Remember it is they not the fans that take the financial risk every year,and in the last 3 years most promoters have lost money some to the tune of 70 grand.

All the money accrued by the promoter is his alone to balance his books how he sees fit.Remember it is they not the fans that take the financial risk every year,and in the last 3 years most promoters have lost money some to the tune of 70 grand.

Without the fans, they wouldn't have a club to take the financial risk with.

Edited by The Abbott

£70k is the least of the losses!!!!!!

AND those channels are? And what has it to do with the SCB?

BT Sport are splashing the cash. Eurosport. Premier sport.

Speedway not looking for big money like football. Not even anything like rugby league or union.

All I'm saying is Sky is not the be all and and all.

I always thought that ITV4 would be a natural home for speedway, motorsports already in their portfolio and the generally nostalgic roster of blokeish repeats like Minder from the seventies. Get Dave Lanning out of retirement and it would be just like old times.

Obviously I am not sure whether Terry Russell or anybody else from the BSPA has spoken to BT sport but there seems to be some interest from them how much remains to be seen. What I do know is they have been asking Telegenic Sky's OB partner for Speedway if they could still provide the OB resources for Speedway for BT with there extra workload as they are providing trucks and equipment to football World Cup and commonwealth games on top of usual work for Sky,BT and BBC for rugby union and league. From what I have been told the answer was yes as long as they have enough notice

As ever an interesting contribution from Flagrag.

That would make things very, interesting...

What I meant by this is that, ignoring the TV money, £17 entrance money would yield a certain amount of gate receipts. (1000 x £17 = £17,000. Ignoring VAT)

Dropping entry to £10 and actively trying to draw in more fans is a risk and may result in lower gate receipts (1500 x £10 = £15,000)

An element of the TV money could perhaps be used as an insurance to mitigate these potential losses.

This is basically what I hoped would happen when Sky first got involved - that promoters would primarily focus on growing the fan base.

[[Ahhhh, a sort of offset... compensation payment.

That will never happen, because Promoters would have to be 100000% more transparent about gate receipts/actual foot flow, a subject that has never reached the public domain, be it openly or by some covert means... But I know what you meant now]]