Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

What worries me is I keep hearing about team plans based on a team without Sky and a team with Sky. Whilst there is some logic associated with that, I fear the key point may be being missed.

Sky as a media outlet for the sport is obviously a good thing (if handled correctly). But I think the promoters are focusing on money.

If Sky renew (which I doubt anyway), I'd be very surprised if it's more than just televising the sport. It's highly unlikely, I'd suggest, to include sponsorship (quite a coup to be honest if the sport pulled that off). Even worse, Sky may well go down the route they have previously with Basketball and Ice Hockey, and ask the sport itself to cover the production costs, whilst Sky air it for free.

On a related topic. Who is heading up any negotiations (or at least the attempts) to renew with Sky? If this is the previous negotiator, are the BSPA clear of their clauses with him. Last time he received a percentage of the sponsorship money. If a deal is reached to show the sport, but without sponsorship, a middle man (if there is one this time) would still expect some form of recompense for brokering the deal. I trust the BSPA are fully focused on managing this situation. If not they can always chat at the imminent AGM !!!

What worries me is I keep hearing about team plans based on a team without Sky and a team with Sky. Whilst there is some logic associated with that, I fear the key point may be being missed.

Sky as a media outlet for the sport is obviously a good thing (if handled correctly). But I think the promoters are focusing on money.

If Sky renew (which I doubt anyway), I'd be very surprised if it's more than just televising the sport. It's highly unlikely, I'd suggest, to include sponsorship (quite a coup to be honest if the sport pulled that off). Even worse, Sky may well go down the route they have previously with Basketball and Ice Hockey, and ask the sport itself to cover the production costs, whilst Sky air it for free.

On a related topic. Who is heading up any negotiations (or at least the attempts) to renew with Sky? If this is the previous negotiator, are the BSPA clear of their clauses with him. Last time he received a percentage of the sponsorship money. If a deal is reached to show the sport, but without sponsorship, a middle man (if there is one this time) would still expect some form of recompense for brokering the deal. I trust the BSPA are fully focused on managing this situation. If not they can always chat at the imminent AGM !!!

A VERY fair point 500cc.

In today's Speedway Star, it reports that negotiations are underway but a decision before the conference is unlikely. This could make things awkward and might even cause a delay on things until more concrete news is available. I would go with the assumption that there will be no TV contract and if one should then come along, maybe have some sort of collectively agreed plan in place for it. Costs need to be cut whatever happens.

In today's Speedway Star, it reports that negotiations are underway but a decision before the conference is unlikely. This could make things awkward and might even cause a delay on things until more concrete news is available. I would go with the assumption that there will be no TV contract and if one should then come along, maybe have some sort of collectively agreed plan in place for it. Costs need to be cut whatever happens.

PLAN!!! :shock: :shock:

What's one of them??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :blink:

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 2

I know live coverage of speedway other than the GP and Europeans on Euro sport will be sadly missed if nothing comes for 2014 but it is up to the people who sit around the tables and not on the nikes on the race track to find a sponsers or sponsers to cover the lost revenue. Football clubs do it as do several other sports so why can't they get things sorted out either give us Sky or BT for next year or find some big money from other sorces. Speedway is here for many years so lets hope that they come to their sences and help keep our sport alive and kinking

I know live coverage of speedway other than the GP and Europeans on Euro sport will be sadly missed if nothing comes for 2014 but it is up to the people who sit around the tables and not on the nikes on the race track to find a sponsers or sponsers to cover the lost revenue. Football clubs do it as do several other sports so why can't they get things sorted out either give us Sky or BT for next year or find some big money from other sorces. Speedway is here for many years so lets hope that they come to their sences and help keep our sport alive and kinking

If only we could get Nike interested??!! And I'm certain there are enough kinks in the sport already!! :D

• Like 1

We desperately hope so. :unsure::unsure:

Is that your final word WW. :shock::shock::oops:

They could certainly learn from football's example, but football has lots of spectators, lots of media coverage and is the national game. So they have quite a head start anyway. If you look at it from an outsiders point of view, there are a lot better investments than Speedway to put your money into....Sadly.
  • Like 1

I live 20 miles from a speedway stadium and our local paper has never even mentioned that the sport exists. I am thinking of writing to them to put a feature in the paper. But the only sport they seem to cover is football and cricket. I think that our local area newspapers could do more for our sport. Unless you are a supporter and know that a track is near you how would you know it exists, there must be people out there that would love to see the sport if they only knew it was there.

Just seen on Pooles wesite about this years AGM not much to write home about. Take a look if you want to be bored to death.

I have been looking all over the internet and the only place that gave any details was Poole. Quite a shock that me thinks not.

So what has change nothing new year same old rubbish other than the Elite Leage dropping the points total.

No mention of TV right 0or sponsership.

Look forward to a new years speedway with dread. We have to do something or this sport is going to die a slow death, or maybe a rapid decline.

It is time that those in power sat back and looked at what actually going on around them, and actually did something to help our beloved sport to carry on for many many years to come.

I live 20 miles from a speedway stadium and our local paper has never even mentioned that the sport exists. I am thinking of writing to them to put a feature in the paper. But the only sport they seem to cover is football and cricket. I think that our local area newspapers could do more for our sport. Unless you are a supporter and know that a track is near you how would you know it exists, there must be people out there that would love to see the sport if they only knew it was there.

Just seen on Pooles wesite about this years AGM not much to write home about. Take a look if you want to be bored to death.

I have been looking all over the internet and the only place that gave any details was Poole. Quite a shock that me thinks not.

So what has change nothing new year same old rubbish other than the Elite Leage dropping the points total.

Look forward to a new years speedway with dread. We have to do something or this sport is going to die a slow death, or maybe a rapid decline.

It is time that those in power sat back and looked at what actually going on around them, and actually did something to help our beloved sport to carry on for many many years to come.

I don't know to which track you refer, but, that to me, just says that that club isn't doing it's job properly, by not get out there and promoting.

Has that club got a PRO?

My view is that it's the promotors responsibility to promote, clues in the name. The Peterborough ET usually has reasonable Speedway coverage, although that might be influenced by the local journo's ❤️ for a Bear. The content is not too bad, often Pat Butcher spouting on about "we can still make the play offs" or "we lost, not my fault" - but it targets the lesser internet user market. Only problem is that now it is weekly, rather than daily, it's generally old news. Word of warning, don't read the Peterborough ET from the front - you risk suicide before reaching the Sports pages.

Terry Russell States in this weeks SS he is confident a TV deal will be agreed. Didn't say who with or that it would be agreed before the Chimps Tea Party. We appear to be at this limbo stage every year, thinking it can't get any worse, unfortunately it does. Your last line pretty much sums it up - although I'm not holding my breath.

How can there be any 'news' about the AGM on any website?? It hasn't taken place yet!! Starts at 1030 this morning!!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

Sorry about that just taken another look at the

Sorry about that I just took a look at the Poole site I looked at last night and it was from last year we all make mistakes. Hope it isn't with this in mind that the guys above do the same over the next 3 days if so Then may the Lord Jehovah give us strength. We need something very possitive out of this years meeting. If no TV coverage then they need to look elsewhere for sponsership.

• Like 1

It's possible that you may be in the newspaper's circulation area, but the track isn't - local papers can be very parochial. Coverage of speedway and many other minority sports in local papers usually depends on having an enthusiast on the staff. Otherwise papers are dependent on freelance writers and that costs money which editors on very tight budgets are reluctant to spend.

Get in touch with the sports editor and ask - politely - if the paper has any plans to cover the sport.

• Like 1