British Speedway Forum
Agrotron

Pirates 2014

Anyway following events this weekend I cannot see anything but a ban for Ward and rightly so, so will Holder be back at Poole maybe KK??

Following the events of this weekend, I cannot see anything on the BSI / SGP web site about what is being done in respect of Ward's continuation in the series. What is happening? Is Ward going to help the FIM with their enquiries? Will there be a disciplinary hearing or not?

Neither is there anything on either the BSPA or Poole's web sites, to say what the UK authorities are going to do about the rider who plies his trade in this country.

And if his conduct causes him to suffer disciplinary punishment by the authorities, how will the UK Borders Agency consider his next application for a visa to work in the UK? Isn't there some kind of "fit and proper persons" criteria that he has to pass?

Edited by The Pedaler

I do not condone wards actions at all, however it is common knowledge that most riders enjoy a drink or 5, maybe something a bit more at times! This has been the case for years. I can't help but feel as this is darcy and his relation to Poole, people are forgetting this. Perhaps instead of randomly selecting a few riders for testing, all riders should be expected to undergo testing. If they have nothing to hide, I shouldn't imagine there would be a problem.

So that's why Nicki P doesn't drink during the Speedway season - and I'm pretty sure there are more riders like him than there are like DW. Riders work out what their priorities are.

The likes of Greg Hancock, Nicki P and Tai Woffinden seem to think training and eating healthily is important for their success. I may not like Nicki P - but I appreciate that he thinks the demands of the sport means abstention from alcohol during the season. Greg Hancock may not be everyone's favourite - but he has worked hard to stay fit and healthy and still be successful in Speedway in his forties. Tai Woffinden and Emil S are the same age as Darcy Ward but we never hear adverse comments about their behaviour - and they've both had the death of their fathers to contend with. I think I read that Tai had now raised £70k this year for Great Ormand Street Hospital.

What a rider does off the track is often as important as what he does on the track. Nicki P, Greg Hancock - and many others - do not create a poor image of the sport that Darcy Ward does... and no-one but Darcy is to blame for his actions.

I agree with most of what you say scribbler, but please don't ignore, when i clearly stated I do not condone darcys actions. If you dig deep enough, or even scrape a bit off the surface even, you will find most riders are just as guilty as darcy now or have been in the past. But I acknowledge that doesn't mean everyone. I still maintain a stricter testing procedure should be introduced.

• Like 1

Darcy has been really stupid and must now face the punishment that is hand end out. I am not going to defend the actions.

This is Poole 2014 thread and we are now coming to the sharp end of the season.

Poole are obviously in the running again this year and will have to make changes if Darcy is unable to carry on.

They would have to replace him but with whom. I have my own thoughts but it would be interesting to hear from others for their views.

I know there are many pro and many anti Poole people on this forum so it could have some very varied views.

• Like 1

And still we don't know about this "bad news"..

I really want to post my true thoughts on what he perceives as bad news but i wont, as i fear it will spark something here..

Cant be a bereavement or one of his lackies, ie Middeditch would have piped up by now - me thinks a girlfriend story that cant be proved/disproved easily.

Any bad news is nothing worse than Emil losing his father the night before a GP or Woffy having to face his first GP season and losing his father prior to starting the Series.

Neither turned to drink as the answer. Or used it as an excuse either.

His `bad news` wont be any worse than what other riders have already been thru prior to a GP.

lets just hope they do away with the "FARCE TRACK RESERVE RIDERs" system mixing the leagues was never a good idea...

Lets hope not. Lets hope it is looked at and adjusted for fairness.

Can't help but feel for Darcy. The guy has been very stupid and he will certainly pay the price but a lot of people on here seem to be using his mistake as an excuse just to be malicious towards not only Darcy, but also Neil and Poole

Think EVERYONE would feel for Darcy ................ if this was the first time something had happened. The reason, and rightly so, people have little sympathy for Darcy is because most of us knew that something would happen YET AGAIN. He has got away with too much already. The only reason Middlo has been brought into the picture is because he is supposed to be some sort of `mentor/father figure` to him. The same Middlo who thinks that drinking, taking drugs and fleeing from the police is `what kids do these days`.

The problem is Darcy gets it wrong time after time. He got it wrong with that young girl (even if he didn't break any laws - even his own legal team said what he did was morally reprehensible!), the got it wrong that night he went out to the pub with Middlo and ended up getting clobbered, he got it wrong when he took drugs, he got it wrong again that night when he evaded the police. Then he got it wrong this weekend when he got drunk the night before a GP (and it wasn't a few drinks, in 15 hours you can go from struggling to walk to alcohol free - he was drunk Saturday night!).

How many more times can he be allowed to get it wrong and get away with is lightly. He need to learn. He need a ban. And while Im advocating a ban I'll miss watching the arrogant little rubbish but if you dont ban him he'll do more and more bad stuff and one day he may do something really bad - like life ruining bad.

Well said. To not punish this time would be potentially a catastrophe to himself or other riders.

• Like 2

I thought he was growing up a bit and handling himself better in interviews and acting with a tad more maturity then he does this.

Throw the book at him .

• Like 1

He went up in mine when I saw he's declined to comments. Only for him to make a stupid comment straight after and drop back down again. The guy is a moron who seems to be able to make stupid comments even when he's had time to think. drink.

Assuming Darcy receives a ban I would expect him to be replaced by Chris Holder or Greg Hancock. Does anybody know if the averages will allow this?

I would prefer to have Greg instead of Chris to be honest. Greg is firing on all cylinders at the moment and feels very comfortable with his place in the sport. Chris is working through a lot of injuries and I don't think he is the best man for the job at such an important part of the year.

I do not condone wards actions at all, however it is common knowledge that most riders enjoy a drink or 5, maybe something a bit more at times! This has been the case for years. I can't help but feel as this is darcy and his relation to Poole, people are forgetting this. Perhaps instead of randomly selecting a few riders for testing, all riders should be expected to undergo testing. If they have nothing to hide, I shouldn't imagine there would be a problem.

Common knowledge ? So how does the average punter on the terraces come by this "common knowledge" . Or do you mean "common gossip " to be more precise ?

If it is that widespread, how come its always Darcy that is the one getting caught ?

• Like 2

Common knowledge ? So how does the average punter on the terraces come by this "common knowledge" . Or do you mean "common gossip " to be more precise ?

If it is that widespread, how come its always Darcy that is the one getting caught ?

This is the first time Darcy has been caught with alcohol in his system on a speedway bike. He was breath tested a few weeks ago and found to have 0 alcohol in his system.

• Like 1

I can't imagine Hancock taking on more racing while he's leading the World Championship, unless its a VERY fat pay cheque being dangled in front of him. Holder the obvious choice should Ward get banned.

I can't imagine Hancock taking on more racing while he's leading the World Championship, unless its a VERY fat pay cheque being dangled in front of him. Holder the obvious choice should Ward get banned.

With such a short schedule until the end of the season I would imagine Greg might be interested, especially as he could be part of another title win. I recall last time he said racing in Britain had really helped him sharpen up.

Any FIM ban is sure to be 'worldwide', so if there is a ban, I'm not sure what his current, up-to-date average is?! The latest official figure as per BSPA and last Wednesday's match programme is 8.74 but he has ridden a few meetings since then. Holder's is 8.83. Hancock finished on 8.87.

KK finished 2012 on 8.39 and Miedzinski on 8.21. (Emil Sayfutdinov still assessed at 8.00!!)

Edited by Skidder1

Any FIM ban is sure to be 'worldwide', so if there is a ban, I'm not sure what his current, up-to-date average is?! The latest official figure as per BSPA and last Wednesday's match programme is 8.74 but he has ridden a few meetings since then. Holder's is 8.83. Hancock finished on 8.87.

KK finished 2012 on 8.39 and Miedzinski on 8.21. (Emil Sayfutdinov still assessed at 8.00!!)

Both Chris Holder and Greg Hancock's averages above Darcys so Poole would have to re-declare and drop someone else as well.

• Like 1