British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

California-in-england Reunion 2013

That time of the year is fast approaching for the Friends of Speedway organised Eighth California-in-England Speedway Reunion on 6thOctober 2013.

The full address is: California Country Park , Nine Mile Ride, Finchampstead, Wokingham , RG40 4HT . This is situated on the B3430 coming from the A322 junction 3 off the M3. There is a large sign at the entrance to the park and a pay and display car park; then there is a short walk to the display area which will include a selection of machines covering over 80 years of speedway.

If you have any memorabilia/memories please make your self known to any of the Friends of Speedway members bearing their name badges. We are still searching for any cine film not only of the racing, but of the park in general that could be loaned to be copied. It is a never-ending search for items of interest of all the different activities that that went on in the park; not only speedway.

Also on display will be speedway photographs and team body colours including a reproduction California Poppies one. Also, for this year a small display of memorabilia from the days when it was a holiday camp with photos and postcards.

Here you will be able to talk with riders from the 1950’s California Poppies team. You are invited to ask questions at any time and all officials will be sporting their name badges.

Machines will be started at various times during the day; you will smell the intoxicating aroma of Castrol R and Methanol to bring back memories of those earlier un-silenced days of speedway. Also we are hopeful of a celebrity guest of international fame and are keeping our fingers crossed that he will be able to attend. Also attending will be the family of Poppies Captain, Ron Sharp.

At the time of going to press the organisers are waiting confirmation from one or two new personalities whether they can attend or not.

Part of the presentation will be a guided walk where you can see the original children’s paddling pool from the holiday camp days which has been cleared by Friends of Speedway personnel and part of the railway track that took clay up to the brickworks which is how the lake was formed. You will be able to stand on the concrete start/finish line with marked out starting boxes (the only surviving one that we know of); where a member of the original track staff will give a short talk of his duties there. For those interested you can walk the racing line (stout footwear recommended) as it is very overgrown.

The park offers a wealth of historic interest in itself, plus a cafeteria with toilets including one for the disabled.

The display will be open between 11am ‘till 4pm.

For further information please call Stuart Towner on 0208-397 6599 or stuart.towner@blueyonder.co.uk

Urgent message from Stu Towner:

:::::::::::

Everyone is welcome on the 6th October whether is be bike or car fan, please do come along.

One word of warning is that I only found out to-day that the cafe has closed so please bring your own snacks. We hope to be able to provide hot drinks though.

Please contact me: Stu Towner on 020-8397 6599 or 07860 135939 - see you there and come and introduce yourself at the Friends of Speedway table next to the silver Transit van'.

Can i just ask, why is this constantly referred to as California-In-England ? I'm from Wokingham and not once in my 30 + years have i ever heard it called this in normal life...

I seem to recall something from my school days that the country park was called this in the 30s or something to attract people, but even on the speedway programmes, it referred to it as simply California.

Shame to hear that the shape of the track is totally overgrown now - i remember trying out my new push bike there one christmas day - i broke a pedal off come to think of it.

Can i just ask, why is this constantly referred to as California-In-England ? I'm from Wokingham and not once in my 30 + years have i ever heard it called this in normal life...

I seem to recall something from my school days that the country park was called this in the 30s or something to attract people, but even on the speedway programmes, it referred to it as simply California.

Shame to hear that the shape of the track is totally overgrown now - i remember trying out my new push bike there one christmas day - i broke a pedal off come to think of it.

My guess California-in-England is used to reflect the old days of the 1930s-1950s. Come along on October 6 and debate the issue with Stu Towner. He'll be delighted to meet you and give you a warm welcome to the day.

On the Speedway Researcher - it's just California Speedway.

http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/california.html

Edited by Guest

My guess California-in-England is used to reflect the old days of the 1930s-1950s. Come along on October 6 and debate the issue with Stu Towner. He'll be delighted to meet you and give you a warm welcome to the day.

On the Speedway Researcher - it's just California Speedway.

http://www.speedwayr...california.html

Sadly not able to make the day - living in Croydon now near your good self, and work will get in the way of coming back.

Hopefully the weather will improve for Sunday's annual California Speedway Reunion. It has all the promise of being another great day out - as it has been in past years.

The Eighth California-in-England Speedway Reunion Report

The morning of 6th October dawned bright and sunny and stayed that way all day. The organisers, Friends of Speedway were so pleased to have such a lovely day for their reunion.

They had organised a line-up of speedway machines to span the over 80 years that the sport has been in existence. The line of machines started with a 1929 BSA, a 1930 Rudge and then through the years with a variety of JAPs, Jawas, Weslakes and a lone Godden. Also something different and now a regular feature was an Mk II rotary Norton engined grass track machine to compliment the display. Various machines were started during the afternoon so that the assembled throng could savour the different sounds from one era to another and the intoxicating aroma of Methanol and Castrol R.

The Friends of Speedway stall was busy with enthusiasts looking for a bargain amongst their goodies on display. All profits generated go to sponsoring the British Youth Speedway Championship series (formerly the Under 15’s Championship). They also had a 1970s Jawa speedway bike fitted with a reaction tester which was great fun especially for the children attending to be able to sit on a bike and do a dummy start as if at the tapes and were given a certificate showing their best time of three attempts.

They also displayed two albums of photos and postcards and one visitor was delighted to see a photo of her Mother posing with a rider of the Poppies era.

As part of the attractions there was an organised trip up to the old track where Bryan Horsnell, who used to sweep the concrete starting grid (and it’s still there) and he told folk about the days of the Poppies as the team was nicknamed then.

Quite a few riders were in attendance from the 1950s era which included: Jim Gleed, Eric Hockaday, Pete Rogers, Eric Jolly, Jimmy Heard, Dave Collett, Ernie Baker and John Hammond. Also in attendance were the family of Poppies Captain, Ron Sharp.

Many photos were taken, so many past good times were re-lived, the press reporters were there also soaking up the tales of do and dare. A great day out at a wonderful setting by the lake was had by all.

The organisers wish to thank all those who displayed bikes, some coming considerable distances.

Edited by Guest

California Reunion's Stu Towner points out that he is not alone in organising the excellent annual event. He says, "I'm helped by Roy (TAG) Allison, GeorgeThompson and Fred Barker who are all collegues of Friends of Speedway."